please help me

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by tjw, Nov 17, 2004.

  1. tjw

    tjw Guest

    Hi all
    I hope some one can help me here.

    !/ older systems all around 300mhz all running winme.
    2/networked together using a hub- working ok
    3/ wanting broardband
    4/ before getting it want to ck out internet connection sharing

    The story so far tried ics in winme couldn't connect client to host
    didn't much like it anyway gave it the flick

    Next downloaded winroute lite worked but wouldn't stop connecting
    google it found that had to try winroute pro set it up and connected
    to the net alright but couldn't download anything no pages nothing no
    ftp or web.
    shut down winroute and connected ok.

    Removed every thing and downloaded sygate
    like sygate but i cant connect to the net from a client computer it
    connects, but same problem, so to me it is a setting somewhere but i
    have tried all i know and google but no help, as far as i can see all
    settings are correct

    The network is working all right, sygate connects to the web on the
    host computer but when i try on the client computer it can't get a
    network connection.

    I like winme and have tried linux but most of my gear is oddball and
    linux didn't like it.

    any help is apprecated

    thanks

    tjw, Nov 17, 2004

  2. tjw

    cowboyz Guest

    tjw wrote:
    > Hi all
    > I hope some one can help me here.
    >
    > !/ older systems all around 300mhz all running winme.
    > 2/networked together using a hub- working ok
    > 3/ wanting broardband
    > 4/ before getting it want to ck out internet connection sharing
    >
    > The story so far tried ics in winme couldn't connect client to host
    > didn't much like it anyway gave it the flick
    >
    > Next downloaded winroute lite worked but wouldn't stop connecting
    > google it found that had to try winroute pro set it up and connected
    > to the net alright but couldn't download anything no pages nothing no
    > ftp or web.
    > shut down winroute and connected ok.
    >
    > Removed every thing and downloaded sygate
    > like sygate but i cant connect to the net from a client computer it
    > connects, but same problem, so to me it is a setting somewhere but i
    > have tried all i know and google but no help, as far as i can see all
    > settings are correct
    >
    > The network is working all right, sygate connects to the web on the
    > host computer but when i try on the client computer it can't get a
    > network connection.
    >
    > I like winme and have tried linux but most of my gear is oddball and
    > linux didn't like it.
    >
    > any help is apprecated
    >
    > thanks

    get a router and a switch. or even better. a router with a switch. then
    you don't need to worry about ICS and you don't need one of the machines on
    all the time.

    cowboyz, Nov 17, 2004

  3. On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 17:43:43 +1300, tjw wrote:

    > Hi all
    > I hope some one can help me here.
    >
    > !/ older systems all around 300mhz all running winme.
    > 2/networked together using a hub- working ok
    > 3/ wanting broardband
    > 4/ before getting it want to ck out internet connection sharing
    >
    > The story so far tried ics in winme couldn't connect client to host
    > didn't much like it anyway gave it the flick
    >
    > Next downloaded winroute lite worked but wouldn't stop connecting
    > google it found that had to try winroute pro set it up and connected
    > to the net alright but couldn't download anything no pages nothing no
    > ftp or web.
    > shut down winroute and connected ok.
    >
    > Removed every thing and downloaded sygate
    > like sygate but i cant connect to the net from a client computer it
    > connects, but same problem, so to me it is a setting somewhere but i
    > have tried all i know and google but no help, as far as i can see all
    > settings are correct
    >
    > The network is working all right, sygate connects to the web on the
    > host computer but when i try on the client computer it can't get a
    > network connection.
    >
    > I like winme and have tried linux but most of my gear is oddball and
    > linux didn't like it.
    >
    > any help is apprecated
    >
    > thanks

    Just buy a ADSL router then ... use it to replace your hub ...

    wogers nemesis, Nov 17, 2004
  4. tjw

    steve Guest

    tjw wrote:

    > Hi all
    > I hope some one can help me here.
    >
    > !/ older systems all around 300mhz all running winme.
    > 2/networked together using a hub- working ok
    > 3/ wanting broardband
    > 4/ before getting it want to ck out internet connection sharing

    Get an ADSL router and plug it into your network hub.....and that will
    provide all the sharing you could ever want.

    The ADSL router also acts as a fairly good firewall....

    --
    Distributed Computing Projects:
    SETI at Home

    steve, Nov 17, 2004
  5. tjw

    Bok Guest

    tjw wrote:
    > Hi all
    > I hope some one can help me here.
    >
    > !/ older systems all around 300mhz all running winme.
    > 2/networked together using a hub- working ok
    > 3/ wanting broardband
    > 4/ before getting it want to ck out internet connection sharing

    [ snip ]

    > I like winme and have tried linux but most of my gear is oddball and
    > linux didn't like it.
    > any help is apprecated

    Two options are:
    a) A hardware router as others have suggested. Are you considering ADSL
    or a cable connection?
    b) If you can spare one of your machines you could try a router/firewall
    distro such as IPCop. This generally works on quite old hardware .

    If you want to try and debug the windows ICS / gateway solutions you
    have tried please post the output from ipconfig /all from the gateway
    and a client machine.

    Bok, Nov 17, 2004
  6. In article <>, tjw131
    @wahoo.co.nz says...
    {snip}
    > The network is working all right, sygate connects to the web on the
    > host computer but when i try on the client computer it can't get a
    > network connection.
    >
    > I like winme and have tried linux but most of my gear is oddball and
    > linux didn't like it.

    [snip]

    This is just a guess, but it sounds to me that you may be having trouble
    with NAT on your system. The best setup with WinRoute, WinGate etc is,
    in my experience, to set the gateway machine as 192.168.0.1 (requirement
    for WinRoute i.i.r.c.), give fixed IPs to the client machines e.g.
    192.168.0.2 +++ and instruct the gateway software to accept incoming
    requests on the 192.168.0.1 interface (and 127.0.0.1). Then set the
    software on the client machines to use the proxy server on 192.168.0.1 -
    either collectively or individually for the different protocols and
    ports. Make sure you have the services you need actually switched on at
    the gateway machine and that you are using standard ports. Opera and
    Mozilla/Netscape have the proxy setting in their options, for MSIE you
    may have to set them via the 'Internet Options' in control panel (select
    'I connect through a LAN' i.i.r.c.)

    There is absolutely no reason why this should not work if you cross all
    the Ts and dot all the Is. Most of the time, in my experience, if
    something doesn't work it's either NAT related or DHCP messing things
    up, somehow. Just don't install that part of the gateway software :)

    h.t.h. -Peter

    --
    ***************
    direct replies to peters[underscore]spambot[at]

    Peter Huebner, Nov 17, 2004
  7. tjw

    Bok Guest

    tjw wrote:
    > Hi all
    > I hope some one can help me here.
    > !/ older systems all around 300mhz all running winme.
    > 2/networked together using a hub- working ok
    > 3/ wanting broardband
    > 4/ before getting it want to ck out internet connection sharing
    > The story so far tried ics in winme couldn't connect client to host
    > didn't much like it anyway gave it the flick

    Do you have a personal firewall on the gateway box? If so make sure you
    are not blocking access from machines on your internal LAN.

    Bok, Nov 17, 2004
  8. tjw

    Bok Guest

    Bok, Nov 17, 2004
  9. tjw

    Bok Guest

    tjw wrote:
    > Hi all
    > I hope some one can help me here.

    > The network is working all right, sygate connects to the web on the
    > host computer but when i try on the client computer it can't get a
    > network connection.

    Do you have a personal firewall on the gateway box? If so make sure you
    are not blocking access to required ports/protocols from machines on
    your internal LAN.

    Bok, Nov 17, 2004
  10. In article <> in nz.comp on Thu, 18 Nov
    2004 00:21:10 +1300, Bok <> says...
    > tjw wrote:
    > > Hi all
    > > I hope some one can help me here.
    > > !/ older systems all around 300mhz all running winme.
    > > 2/networked together using a hub- working ok
    > > 3/ wanting broardband
    > > 4/ before getting it want to ck out internet connection sharing
    > > The story so far tried ics in winme couldn't connect client to host
    > > didn't much like it anyway gave it the flick

    > Do you have a personal firewall on the gateway box? If so make sure you
    > are not blocking access from machines on your internal LAN.

    Zonealarm does this really well :)

    the later versions of Zonealarm are much easier to configure to allow
    access.

    Patrick Dunford, Nov 17, 2004
  11. tjw

    Bob McLellan Guest

    Get another similar old system and install Smoothwall in it.

    Bob McLellan, Nov 18, 2004
  12. tjw

    T-Boy Guest

    In article <>,
    lid says...
    > In article <> in nz.comp on Thu, 18 Nov
    > 2004 00:21:10 +1300, Bok <> says...
    > > tjw wrote:
    > > > Hi all
    > > > I hope some one can help me here.
    > > > !/ older systems all around 300mhz all running winme.
    > > > 2/networked together using a hub- working ok
    > > > 3/ wanting broardband
    > > > 4/ before getting it want to ck out internet connection sharing
    > > > The story so far tried ics in winme couldn't connect client to host
    > > > didn't much like it anyway gave it the flick

    > > Do you have a personal firewall on the gateway box? If so make sure you
    > > are not blocking access from machines on your internal LAN.

    > Zonealarm does this really well :)

    Yeah that Local Host guy is probably the worlds biggest hacker.

    --
    Duncan

    T-Boy, Nov 19, 2004