Please help me....

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by =?Utf-8?B?UGV0ZXIgRg==?=, May 3, 2006.

  1. Hi All,

    I recently installed a linsys Router/Modem model # WAG54GS along with a USB
    Lynksys Adapter. I have installed the Router successfully and can access the
    internet.

    Point 1.
    The problem is i have another PC which has the USB Adapter installed on it.
    When i attempt to get access to the wireless AP it comes up with connected to
    AP but internet is not available. I have noticed that it is getting an APIPA
    (Automatic Private IP Address) which is not in the IP range that the Router
    has 192.168. Could someone suggest what to do. I have checked most settings
    and they seem to be ok.

    Point 2.
    Up until recently on my built in Laptop i was connecting to the Router and
    accessing the internet ok with the built in wireless device on the Laptop.
    Now all of a sudden it is "acquiring network address" and will not connect to
    Internet.

    All PC's on the network are running XP SP2.

    Please could someone help

    Kind Rgs
    --
    Peter

    =?Utf-8?B?UGV0ZXIgRg==?=, May 3, 2006

  2. =?Utf-8?B?UGV0ZXIgRg==?=

    Lem Guest

    Peter F wrote:

    > Hi All,
    >
    > I recently installed a linsys Router/Modem model # WAG54GS along with a USB
    > Lynksys Adapter. I have installed the Router successfully and can access the
    > internet.
    >
    > Point 1.
    > The problem is i have another PC which has the USB Adapter installed on it.
    > When i attempt to get access to the wireless AP it comes up with connected to
    > AP but internet is not available. I have noticed that it is getting an APIPA
    > (Automatic Private IP Address) which is not in the IP range that the Router
    > has 192.168. Could someone suggest what to do. I have checked most settings
    > and they seem to be ok.
    >
    > Point 2.
    > Up until recently on my built in Laptop i was connecting to the Router and
    > accessing the internet ok with the built in wireless device on the Laptop.
    > Now all of a sudden it is "acquiring network address" and will not connect to
    > Internet.
    >
    > All PC's on the network are running XP SP2.
    >
    > Please could someone help
    >
    > Kind Rgs
    > --
    > Peter

    Your USB adapter is geting an APIPA address because it isn't getting an address
    from the DHCP servier in the WAG54GS. Because your laptop is exhibiting similar
    symptoms, the two most obvious places to look first are (1) is the radio in the
    WAG54GS turned on (see manual p. 40 Fig 6-15 and make sure that "wireless network
    mode" is set to "G-only" or "Mixed" if you have a wireless B device) and (2) is
    the DHCP server in the WAP54GS turned on (see manual p. 35 Fig 6-10 and set DHCP
    server to "enable").

    I assume that you also have ensured that the correct (non-default) SSID is
    entered in the USB adapter and the laptop. Set the router to broadcast the SSID
    (see manual p. 40, Fig 6-15)

    It's also possible that various encryption settings might cause these problems.
    Best practice is to disable all wireless encryption (on all devices -- gateway,
    usb adapter, and laptop) until you have things working the way you want them to
    work. Then turn the encryption on.

    Lem, May 3, 2006

  3. Thanks for the reply Lem,

    I have checked points 1 and 2 and both are correct.

    As for the non default that is also correct which now leads me to the
    encryption option. Please could you let me know how to diable the wireless
    encryption on all the devices both USB adapter and Laptop/Desktop machines or
    point me to the right direction.

    If you can help me on this it will be very much appreciated.

    Kind Rgs.

    --
    Peter

    =?Utf-8?B?UGV0ZXIgRg==?=, May 3, 2006
  4. =?Utf-8?B?UGV0ZXIgRg==?=

    Lem Guest

    Peter F wrote:

    > Thanks for the reply Lem,
    >
    > I have checked points 1 and 2 and both are correct.
    >
    > As for the non default that is also correct which now leads me to the
    > encryption option. Please could you let me know how to diable the wireless
    > encryption on all the devices both USB adapter and Laptop/Desktop machines or
    > point me to the right direction.
    >
    > If you can help me on this it will be very much appreciated.
    >
    > Kind Rgs.
    >
    > --
    > Peter
    >
    > "Lem" wrote:
    >
    > > Peter F wrote:
    > >
    > > > Hi All,
    > > >
    > > > I recently installed a linsys Router/Modem model # WAG54GS along with a USB
    > > > Lynksys Adapter. I have installed the Router successfully and can access the
    > > > internet.
    > > >
    > > > Point 1.
    > > > The problem is i have another PC which has the USB Adapter installed on it.
    > > > When i attempt to get access to the wireless AP it comes up with connected to
    > > > AP but internet is not available. I have noticed that it is getting an APIPA
    > > > (Automatic Private IP Address) which is not in the IP range that the Router
    > > > has 192.168. Could someone suggest what to do. I have checked most settings
    > > > and they seem to be ok.
    > > >
    > > > Point 2.
    > > > Up until recently on my built in Laptop i was connecting to the Router and
    > > > accessing the internet ok with the built in wireless device on the Laptop.
    > > > Now all of a sudden it is "acquiring network address" and will not connect to
    > > > Internet.
    > > >
    > > > All PC's on the network are running XP SP2.
    > > >
    > > > Please could someone help
    > > >
    > > > Kind Rgs
    > > > --
    > > > Peter

    > > Your USB adapter is geting an APIPA address because it isn't getting an address
    > > from the DHCP servier in the WAG54GS. Because your laptop is exhibiting similar
    > > symptoms, the two most obvious places to look first are (1) is the radio in the
    > > WAG54GS turned on (see manual p. 40 Fig 6-15 and make sure that "wireless network
    > > mode" is set to "G-only" or "Mixed" if you have a wireless B device) and (2) is
    > > the DHCP server in the WAP54GS turned on (see manual p. 35 Fig 6-10 and set DHCP
    > > server to "enable").
    > >
    > > I assume that you also have ensured that the correct (non-default) SSID is
    > > entered in the USB adapter and the laptop. Set the router to broadcast the SSID
    > > (see manual p. 40, Fig 6-15)
    > >
    > > It's also possible that various encryption settings might cause these problems.
    > > Best practice is to disable all wireless encryption (on all devices -- gateway,
    > > usb adapter, and laptop) until you have things working the way you want them to
    > > work. Then turn the encryption on.

    I know it makes messages get longer and longer, but it's really a help to others who
    try to follow things if you don't delete earlier information when you respond.

    Did you enable encryption? If not, then it isn't enabled; if you did, then --

    How one configures wireless connections (including encryption settings) depends on
    whether you are using Windows to configure your wireless devices or are using a utility
    provided by the manufacturer of the wireless device. If you are using Windows, the
    exact screens differ depending on which version of WinXP you have. See generally
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/expert/bowman_03july28.mspx

    Essentially, you want to set "Network authentication" to "Open" and "Data Encryption"
    to "Disabled" on a screen like Fig. 4 in the link above.

    If you are using the Linksys Wireless Network Monitor to configure/use your USB
    adapter, you can either turn that off and let Windows do the work (see manual p. 15) or
    disable security as shown at manual p. 19.

    Lem, May 3, 2006