    -------------------------
    Can anyone suggest how to get over with this problem?
    TIA

    Martyn, Feb 4, 2004

  2. Martyn

    Harrison Guest

    Reinstalling over a buggy system is not a good idea.
    back up your data and reinstall from scratch.
    Add antivirus and adware/spyware scanners as well.
    The web isn't as friendly as it used to be.

    Harrison, Feb 4, 2004

  3. Martyn

    Martyn Guest

    Thanks for your answer Harrison,
    I agree in general with you but what I look forward now is to learn a way to
    diagnose the trouble and get rid of it before I give up and do a total
    format+re-install.

    Martyn, Feb 4, 2004
  4. Martyn

    ICee Guest

    Martyn wrote:
    > Hi,
    > Because of some problems, I'am trying to re-install Win98 on top of
    > itself but get a blue error screen when it tries to check "installed
    > Windows components"...
    > The message is something like this:
    > -------------------------
    > A fatal exception 0E has occured at 0028:C02B13D8 in IFSMGR(04) +
    > 00012AEC. The current applicaiton will be terminated.
    > xxxxxxxxxxx
    > Press any key to continue
    > -------------------------
    > Can anyone suggest how to get over with this problem?
    > TIA

    Look here:
    http://www.techadvice.com/w98/errors/1/er_00028.htm
    and here:
    http://www.techadvice.com/w98/E/Exception_errors.htm
    Follow the other links on the pages if the immediate suggestion doesn't
    work.

    ICee, Feb 4, 2004
  5. Martyn wrote:

    > Thanks for your answer Harrison,
    > I agree in general with you but what I look forward now is to learn a way
    > to diagnose the trouble and get rid of it before I give up and do a total
    > format+re-install.
    >

    > <Harrison> wrote in message
    >> Reinstalling over a buggy system is not a good idea.
    >> back up your data and reinstall from scratch.
    >> Add antivirus and adware/spyware scanners as well.
    >> The web isn't as friendly as it used to be.

    Re-read the first line of Harrison's posting: "Reinstalling over a buggy
    system is not a good idea." Forget clearing out the bugs, backup and
    reinstall from scratch.

    --
    Gary G. Taylor * Rialto, CA

    Gary G. Taylor, Feb 9, 2004