Please help me understand this

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Greg Kamer, Sep 29, 2003.

  1. Greg Kamer

    Greg Kamer Guest

    Hi All,
    I hope I'm posting this question to the right place.....

    Heres what I want to do:

    I have a DELL 2 ghz system with 256 meg RAM, intergrated video with a DVD
    player.....

    I want to be able to put a dvd in the player, but watch it on my TV. Someone
    told me I have to get a video card that has TV Out capability.

    So I looked at this card:

    Leadtek WinFast A340 TD-128 Geforce FX5200 8XAGP 128MB VGA, DVI & TV-Out -
    RETAIL

    It says that is has TV Out. In looking at the pictures of this card, there
    is the usual connection for my computer monitor. But there is also a connect
    for something called s-video.

    In looking at my TV it does not have the same type of plug on the TV. The TV
    only has 3 RCA type jacks in the front, Yellow, White and Red. One is marked
    video the others are marked In 2 and L/R audio....

    If I brought this card, how would I connect my computer to the TV so that
    when I play a DVD on my computer, it is displayed on my TV?

    As you can guess, I'm pretty much a newbie to this computer video stuff, so
    I might need some extra "hand holding".... :)

    Thanks in advance.

    ---

    Greg Kamer, Sep 29, 2003

  2. Greg Kamer

    Codswallop Guest

    On Sun, 28 Sep 2003 23:59:06 GMT, Greg Kamer wrote in alt.video.dvd:

    > Leadtek WinFast A340 TD-128 Geforce FX5200 8XAGP 128MB VGA, DVI &
    > TV-Out - RETAIL
    >
    > It says that is has TV Out. In looking at the pictures of this card,
    > there is the usual connection for my computer monitor. But there is
    > also a connect for something called s-video.
    >
    > In looking at my TV it does not have the same type of plug on the TV.
    > The TV only has 3 RCA type jacks in the front, Yellow, White and Red.
    > One is marked video the others are marked In 2 and L/R audio....

    The White and Red are the stereo audio connectors. The Yellow one is
    what's called "composite" video. S-Video is higher quality, but if your
    TV doesn't have an S-Video plug, bad luck. You'd need to buy an adapter
    in this case.

    There are cards that come with S-Video -> Composite adapters, and other
    cards that come with Composite outputs still on the market as far as I
    can tell.

    --
    - Cods

    (un ROT-13 to e-mail)

    Codswallop, Sep 29, 2003

  3. Take a look at the MediaMVP from Hauppage. It might be a better solution
    than directly connecting your PC to your TV.

    Colon Terminus, Sep 29, 2003
  4. Greg Kamer

    salmoneous Guest

    > In looking at my TV it does not have the same type of plug on the TV. The TV
    > only has 3 RCA type jacks in the front, Yellow, White and Red. One is marked
    > video the others are marked In 2 and L/R audio....

    The yellow jack is for a "composite" cable. A composite video cable
    serves the same basic function as an s-video cable. S-video is the
    preferred method as it will provide a superior picture. Unfortunately,
    the two aren't compatible.

    > If I brought this card, how would I connect my computer to the TV so that
    > when I play a DVD on my computer, it is displayed on my TV?

    You wouldn't :(

    > As you can guess, I'm pretty much a newbie to this computer video stuff, so
    > I might need some extra "hand holding".... :)
    >
    > Thanks in advance.

    Here's some really annoying advice (feel free to take back the
    thanks):

    Step 1: Double check to be sure you TV-doesn't have s-video in

    Step 2: If you have a VCR hooked up to your TV, see if it has s-video
    in and can convert the s-video signal to however it is hooked up to
    your TV

    Step 3: If you relize you can plug an s-video cable into your TV, or
    if your VCR can convert s-video for you, you can buy any card with
    s-video out and you are in business. Personally, I like cheap ATI
    cards if you aren't sold on the Ledtek.

    Step 4: If you can't get an s-video cable into your TV, pick up a $59
    DVD player next time you are in the grocery store or WalMart. It's a
    *much* better machine for playing DVD's on your TV than trying to hook
    up the computer. Heck, even if your TV does have s-video in, a
    stand-alone player will look better and be much easier to use. PC's do
    make great DVD players if you can hook it up digitally to your TV.

    Step 5: If you really want to use your PC as a DVD-player, buy a new
    TV with at least s-video in. However, to be really worthwhile for
    hooking up to a TV, you want a big screen HDTV, ideally with a DVI
    input.

    There are some kludges out there that will allow you get a signal from
    your computer to your composite input, but it won't look all that hot
    and might be a pain.

    salmoneous, Sep 30, 2003