Please, help me to cancel an AOL account

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by silla, Apr 28, 2004.

  1. silla

    silla Guest

    Last summer I have been in USA as a visiting scientist. During this
    period I activated an AOL account that I canceled in a couple of hours
    because the connection was too slow. I never used again the AOL
    connection. Last september I went back to Italy, where I am now.

    After that, I realized that the account was still alive and AOL was
    charging my bank account. I contacted the AOL support and they told me
    I should send a fax with a list of information, asking the
    cancellation. Starting on the beginning of January I tried a lot of
    time to have the account canceled, but AOL still keep on charging my
    account $23.90 each month. Up to now, they charged about $200 for a
    service I never used. I used only the AOL e-mail only to try to
    contact the AOL support asking to cancel the account.

    I sent the fax with all the requested info and with a copy of my
    passport 8 times, on average 1 fax every two weeks, but I had no
    feedback. The only answers I had, but not particularly useful, were by
    e-mail (AOL support wrote me that they cannot do anything and the only
    suggestion was to send a fax). During last month, also my email have
    been without response from AOL, why?

    I don't know what I have to do, now: AOL support don't answer.
    Should I tell my bank not to accept the AOL request of payment? Should
    I close the bank account? Should I contact the USA consulate ?

    Thank you in advance for any suggestion
    silla, Apr 28, 2004

  2. silla

    Mike Spivey Guest

    Tell your bank!That was the first thing you should have done and let AOL
    sort it out later - make it their problem not yours.Best of luck.

    Mike Spivey, Apr 28, 2004

  3. silla

    TT Guest

    silla wrote:
    > Last summer I have been in USA as a visiting scientist. During this
    > period I activated an AOL account that I canceled in a couple of hours
    > because the connection was too slow. I never used again the AOL
    > connection. Last september I went back to Italy, where I am now.
    >
    > After that, I realized that the account was still alive and AOL was
    > charging my bank account. I contacted the AOL support and they told me
    > I should send a fax with a list of information, asking the
    > cancellation. Starting on the beginning of January I tried a lot of
    > time to have the account canceled, but AOL still keep on charging my
    > account $23.90 each month. Up to now, they charged about $200 for a
    > service I never used. I used only the AOL e-mail only to try to
    > contact the AOL support asking to cancel the account.
    >
    > I sent the fax with all the requested info and with a copy of my
    > passport 8 times, on average 1 fax every two weeks, but I had no
    > feedback. The only answers I had, but not particularly useful, were by
    > e-mail (AOL support wrote me that they cannot do anything and the only
    > suggestion was to send a fax). During last month, also my email have
    > been without response from AOL, why?
    >
    > I don't know what I have to do, now: AOL support don't answer.
    > Should I tell my bank not to accept the AOL request of payment? Should
    > I close the bank account? Should I contact the USA consulate ?
    >
    > Thank you in advance for any suggestion

    I too,have had the same experience in the past with AOL. My
    suggestion is to first notify whomever handles the card you gave for the
    payments to stop accepting them-if for some reason they will not-then I
    would threaten to change banks...and follow through with the threat
    immediately, if necessary. I would continue to find a number for AOL-if
    you could get your hands on a free disk- I think the number is on the
    sleeve. This is the site that I come up with on a google search, just
    in case it's different- http://www.aol.com/support/index.adp
    You cannot trust them to cancel even when they say they do, so as I
    said, I would pay the fee for your bank to stop any more automatic
    withdrawals from your account.
    Good luck.
    TT
    TT, Apr 28, 2004
  4. silla

    Pat Guest

    Simply call your bank & get them to stop auto payments to AOL

    Pat, Apr 28, 2004
  5. silla

    ProfGene Guest

    When AOL continued to charge me for an account I was no longer using they
    reimbursed my credit card but I was in the same country as the account so I
    don't know why they won't honor your request. I don't think the Consulate
    can do anything. You most likely haev to keep hounding AOL.

    ProfGene, Apr 29, 2004
  6. silla

    Tom F Guest

    THIEVES!

    For 2 years I've been calling them asking to cancel my account, and I never even used it for more than an hour.
    The amount reached to more than $700!
    And Bellsouth, my phone company, has been charging me THEIR bill, and the money going to them,
    although made specifically clear, was split and half of it was going to AOL. Now I owe money to both
    AOL AND Bellsouth, and in some weird way Bellsouth decided to cut my DSL service off.
    Do you see the irony? My DSL service gets cut off instantly while the AOL service I've never used and
    requested to be canceled literally YEARS ago, is still up and running and I'm being charged for it. Why
    didn't they just cut off THIS service instead?

    I was forced to leave Bellsouth DSL, and Bellsouth the phone company, and I still owe the money...
    One day I'll be able to afford a lawyer.

    I read an article about a big lawsuit taken against them regarding the same thing.

    If it's possible, and someone IS suing them, PLEASE contact me, although with big corporations
    it's most unlikely.

    Tom F, Apr 29, 2004
  7. Tom F wrote:

    > I read an article about a big lawsuit taken against them regarding the
    > same thing.
    >
    > If it's possible, and someone IS suing them, PLEASE contact me, although
    > with big corporations it's most unlikely.

    Try going to alt.aol.sucks.
    --
    Gary G. Taylor * Rialto, CA
    Gary G. Taylor, Apr 29, 2004
  8. silla

    TT Guest

    Here's what AOL had to say, Silla...hope it helps

    TT, Apr 29, 2004
  9. silla

    slumpy Guest

    ....and with no more than a cursory glance at the dead camel TT decided it
    was time to put the World to rights with this little gem:

    > Here's what AOL had to say, Silla...hope it helps

    Nothing then.

    Standard letter, same sad old bullshit with a non-existant 'Gio' not waiting
    for a reply.
    --
    slumpy
    no more