PLEASE HELP ME RESOLVE COMPUTER EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE PROBLEM TO RECOVER DATA

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by keithsbarton@gmail.com, Aug 3, 2007.

  1. Guest

    I am just sharing my frustration - I am hoping that at least one of
    you may know of cost effective solution of Recovering Data from our
    Maxtor 3200 320GB external hard drive. (The External drive is
    completely dead)

    This particular model of Hard Drive is power driven by a 12 volt 2 amp
    AC-DC power adapter. But unfortunately it no longer works, (even
    though it is only 3 months old) we cannot get direct access to
    important data stored partly as back up and partly as direct storage
    for our son's laptop.

    The Maxtor is under manufacturer's warranty, so I am reluctant to undo
    the casing and replace the components that have failed. The
    manufacturer's warranty will allow for replacement of the item, but
    will not cover the cost of recovery of the data left in the hard
    drive.

    I have been quoted a minimum of $350 and possibly up to $1500
    (Australian Dollars) to break open the hard drive and professionally
    transfer the data to other media. (But this would need to be sent
    interstate, incurring freight and packaging charges).

    Does anyone know of a reliable computer company here in Adelaide, that
    will recover our data, as well as prepare a statement to Maxtor (now
    owned by Seagate) that will satisfy the conditions of the warranty, so
    I will get a new replacement hard drive?

    Any help would be most appreciated. Do I get a qualified technician to
    replace the components or did I go ahead and pay for a professional
    data recovery company to retrieve our valuable data?
    , Aug 3, 2007

  2. Re: PLEASE HELP ME RESOLVE COMPUTER EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE PROBLEM TORECOVER DATA

    wrote:
    > I am just sharing my frustration - I am hoping that at least one of
    > you may know of cost effective solution of Recovering Data from our
    > Maxtor 3200 320GB external hard drive. (The External drive is
    > completely dead)
    >
    > This particular model of Hard Drive is power driven by a 12 volt 2 amp
    > AC-DC power adapter. But unfortunately it no longer works, (even
    > though it is only 3 months old) we cannot get direct access to
    > important data stored partly as back up and partly as direct storage
    > for our son's laptop.
    >

    > The Maxtor is under manufacturer's warranty, so I am reluctant to undo
    > the casing and replace the components that have failed. The
    > manufacturer's warranty will allow for replacement of the item, but
    > will not cover the cost of recovery of the data left in the hard
    > drive.
    >
    > I have been quoted a minimum of $350 and possibly up to $1500
    > (Australian Dollars) to break open the hard drive and professionally
    > transfer the data to other media. (But this would need to be sent
    > interstate, incurring freight and packaging charges).
    >
    > Does anyone know of a reliable computer company here in Adelaide, that
    > will recover our data, as well as prepare a statement to Maxtor (now
    > owned by Seagate) that will satisfy the conditions of the warranty, so
    > I will get a new replacement hard drive?
    >
    > Any help would be most appreciated. Do I get a qualified technician to
    > replace the components or did I go ahead and pay for a professional
    > data recovery company to retrieve our valuable data?

    If it's only the power adapter that's bad, then you have no worries.
    Either replace the power adapter or take the hard drive out and install
    it internally. The warranty won't do you much good anyway if you're
    about to spend mega bucks on data recovery.
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Aug 3, 2007

  3. meerkat Guest

    <> wrote in message
    >I am just sharing my frustration - I am hoping that at least one of
    > you may know of cost effective solution of Recovering Data from our
    > Maxtor 3200 320GB external hard drive. (The External drive is
    > completely dead)
    >
    > This particular model of Hard Drive is power driven by a 12 volt 2 amp
    > AC-DC power adapter. But unfortunately it no longer works, (even

    Is the power adapter OK ?.
    Test it to be sure, then you`ll know if it`s the Drive or enclosure
    that is at fault.

    though it is only 3 months old) we cannot get direct access to
    > important data stored partly as back up and partly as direct storage
    > for our son's laptop.

    How valuable is the data ?.
    Can you replace the data ?.

    2 questions that etermine whether you go for a warranty
    replacement, or try to get the data back.

    bw..
    meerkat, Aug 3, 2007
  4. Guest

    wrote:

    >Does anyone know of a reliable computer company here in Adelaide, that
    >will recover our data, as well as prepare a statement to Maxtor (now
    >owned by Seagate) that will satisfy the conditions of the warranty, so
    >I will get a new replacement hard drive?
    >
    >Any help would be most appreciated. Do I get a qualified technician to
    >replace the components or did I go ahead and pay for a professional
    >data recovery company to retrieve our valuable data?

    It's possible to buy another exact drive and replace the new circuit
    board on the bad Hard Drive; to fix the problem.

    I'd give Hirens_BootCD a try first.
    http://thepiratebay.org/search/Hirens bootCD/0/3/300
    Burn the iso to a CD and boot up with it, lots of recovery software.

    Only other way to fix it is to take the disk platters out and place
    them into an new enclosure - that's big bucks

    --
    http://tinyurl.com/3aevcw (Jpg)
    , Aug 3, 2007
  5. HddRecovery Guest

    For Data Recovery Services you can consult Stellar Information Systems
    Ltd. They are capable of recovering data from any kind of data loss
    situation, either hard drive crash due to spindle stops rotating Or
    Accidental re-partitioning to physical media crashes caused due to mal-
    function of Read/Write Head assemblies and PCB/Logic Board failures.
    For more information visit: http://www.stellarinfo.com/data_recovery_services.htm
    HddRecovery, Aug 6, 2007