Please help me! I'm an amateur photographer

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Pashalis Tsarouxas, Feb 21, 2004.

  1. I just bought an A70 Canon dc.
    Could you please give me information on how I can achieve best shootings?
    Just give me the best settings (values) for:
    - shutter speed (Tv)
    - Aperture (Av)

    in case of :
    A1. Portrait inside a house (fluerescent light without flash)
    A2. Portrait inside a house (flash)
    B. Portrait outdoors (daylight)
    C. Portrait outdoors (flash)
    D. Landscape (daylight without tripod)
    E. Fast moving objects (daylight without tripod) still image
    F. Fast moving objects (daylight) fading (with shadow tail)
    G. Cityscape at night (flash)
    H. Snow photos

    Also advise when to change ISO speed.
    And when to use the White balance mode.
    Can you suggest a website with specific information for beginners?

    thanks
    Pashalis Tsarouxas, Feb 21, 2004
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Pashalis Tsarouxas

    fake name Guest

    In article <>,
    (Pashalis Tsarouxas) wrote:

    you would do much better reading the manual, and experimenting yourself
    with white balance and ISO settings, Av and Tv values.

    the nice thing is that the camera keeps track about all these settings
    and you can view it later on your commputer. Also, you seem to be
    worried about Av and Tv values, but keep in mind that you need to use a
    longer focal length for portrait shots... I think the A70 has a focal
    length range of 35-105 mm (that is 35 mm equivalent). You should try
    some potraits at the end of the ZOOM range (equivalend of 85-105 mm in
    35 mm world).

    get rechargeable batteries (a must for any Digicam that takes AA), some
    compact flash and keep shooting... doesn't cost a cent besides the
    initial investment and your time... this is much much better than some
    'blind" advice you will get from USENET.



    > I just bought an A70 Canon dc.
    > Could you please give me information on how I can achieve best shootings?
    > Just give me the best settings (values) for:
    > - shutter speed (Tv)
    > - Aperture (Av)
    >
    > in case of :
    > A1. Portrait inside a house (fluerescent light without flash)
    > A2. Portrait inside a house (flash)
    > B. Portrait outdoors (daylight)
    > C. Portrait outdoors (flash)
    > D. Landscape (daylight without tripod)
    > E. Fast moving objects (daylight without tripod) still image
    > F. Fast moving objects (daylight) fading (with shadow tail)
    > G. Cityscape at night (flash)
    > H. Snow photos
    >
    > Also advise when to change ISO speed.
    > And when to use the White balance mode.
    > Can you suggest a website with specific information for beginners?
    fake name, Feb 21, 2004
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Pashalis Tsarouxas

    JMooreTS Guest

    >I just bought an A70 Canon dc.
    >Could you please give me information on how I can achieve best shootings?
    >Just give me the best settings (values) for:
    >- shutter speed (Tv)
    >- Aperture (Av)
    >
    >in case of :
    >A1. Portrait inside a house (fluerescent light without flash)
    >A2. Portrait inside a house (flash)
    >B. Portrait outdoors (daylight)
    >C. Portrait outdoors (flash)
    >D. Landscape (daylight without tripod)
    >E. Fast moving objects (daylight without tripod) still image
    >F. Fast moving objects (daylight) fading (with shadow tail)
    >G. Cityscape at night (flash)
    >H. Snow photos
    >
    >Also advise when to change ISO speed.
    >And when to use the White balance mode.
    >Can you suggest a website with specific information for beginners?
    >


    My advice may disappoint you. I don't believe there are set formulas which are
    "best" for each setting you describe. I would start with the camera's "auto"
    settings and go from there.

    There are too many variables of light and depth of field for any one aperature
    or shutter speed to be "right" in all situations. My advice is to experiment
    with your camera in each of the situations you describe. Change settings and
    see what works best for you.

    Yes, it's more time consuming, but I believe you will learn your camera (and
    photography) better this way. (Of course, do your experimenting BEFORE your
    parent's once-in-a-lifetime 50th wedding anniversaary party. Nobody likes to
    sit through multiple poses while you try new settings).

    Good luck,

    John Moore
    JMooreTS, Feb 21, 2004
    #3
  4. Pashalis Tsarouxas

    Irwell Guest

    On 21 Feb 2004 15:28:16 GMT, (JMooreTS) wrote:

    >>I just bought an A70 Canon dc.
    >>Could you please give me information on how I can achieve best shootings?
    >>Just give me the best settings (values) for:
    >>- shutter speed (Tv)
    >>- Aperture (Av)
    >>
    >>in case of :
    >>A1. Portrait inside a house (fluerescent light without flash)
    >>A2. Portrait inside a house (flash)
    >>B. Portrait outdoors (daylight)
    >>C. Portrait outdoors (flash)
    >>D. Landscape (daylight without tripod)
    >>E. Fast moving objects (daylight without tripod) still image
    >>F. Fast moving objects (daylight) fading (with shadow tail)
    >>G. Cityscape at night (flash)
    >>H. Snow photos
    >>
    >>Also advise when to change ISO speed.
    >>And when to use the White balance mode.
    >>Can you suggest a website with specific information for beginners?
    >>

    >
    >My advice may disappoint you. I don't believe there are set formulas which are
    >"best" for each setting you describe. I would start with the camera's "auto"
    >settings and go from there.
    >
    >There are too many variables of light and depth of field for any one aperature
    >or shutter speed to be "right" in all situations. My advice is to experiment
    >with your camera in each of the situations you describe. Change settings and
    >see what works best for you.
    >
    >Yes, it's more time consuming, but I believe you will learn your camera (and
    >photography) better this way. (Of course, do your experimenting BEFORE your
    >parent's once-in-a-lifetime 50th wedding anniversaary party. Nobody likes to
    >sit through multiple poses while you try new settings).
    >
    >Good luck,
    >
    >John Moore


    Another approach might be to go www.stevesforums.com
    and look at 'Post your photos', then look at the settings used for the
    pictures that appeal to you.
    Irwell, Feb 21, 2004
    #4
  5. Pashalis Tsarouxas

    Ken Weitzel Guest

    Irwell wrote:
    > On 21 Feb 2004 15:28:16 GMT, (JMooreTS) wrote:
    >
    >
    >>>I just bought an A70 Canon dc.
    >>>Could you please give me information on how I can achieve best shootings?
    >>>Just give me the best settings (values) for:
    >>>- shutter speed (Tv)
    >>>- Aperture (Av)
    >>>
    >>>in case of :
    >>>A1. Portrait inside a house (fluerescent light without flash)
    >>>A2. Portrait inside a house (flash)
    >>>B. Portrait outdoors (daylight)
    >>>C. Portrait outdoors (flash)
    >>>D. Landscape (daylight without tripod)
    >>>E. Fast moving objects (daylight without tripod) still image
    >>>F. Fast moving objects (daylight) fading (with shadow tail)
    >>>G. Cityscape at night (flash)
    >>>H. Snow photos
    >>>
    >>>Also advise when to change ISO speed.
    >>>And when to use the White balance mode.
    >>>Can you suggest a website with specific information for beginners?
    >>>

    >>
    >>My advice may disappoint you. I don't believe there are set formulas which are
    >>"best" for each setting you describe. I would start with the camera's "auto"
    >>settings and go from there.
    >>
    >>There are too many variables of light and depth of field for any one aperature
    >>or shutter speed to be "right" in all situations. My advice is to experiment
    >>with your camera in each of the situations you describe. Change settings and
    >>see what works best for you.
    >>
    >>Yes, it's more time consuming, but I believe you will learn your camera (and
    >>photography) better this way. (Of course, do your experimenting BEFORE your
    >>parent's once-in-a-lifetime 50th wedding anniversaary party. Nobody likes to
    >>sit through multiple poses while you try new settings).
    >>
    >>Good luck,
    >>
    >>John Moore

    >
    >
    > Another approach might be to go www.stevesforums.com
    > and look at 'Post your photos', then look at the settings used for the
    > pictures that appeal to you.


    Given that there's zero cost involved (unless of course
    they're printed) you might just like to take about a
    zillion. See what works best for *you*, what you and your
    family like best :)

    Take care.

    Ken
    Ken Weitzel, Feb 21, 2004
    #5
  6. Pashalis Tsarouxas wrote:
    > I just bought an A70 Canon dc.
    > Could you please give me information on how I can achieve best
    > shootings? Just give me the best settings (values) for:


    I suggest leaving it all on auto until you learn what YOU want.
    Photography is first an art and second a science.

    You question would be somewhat like Leonardo da Vinci asking his paint
    salesman what color he should use for Monna Lisa's eyes. You are the
    artist.

    --
    Joseph E. Meehan

    26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
    Joseph Meehan, Feb 21, 2004
    #6
  7. Pashalis Tsarouxas

    Irwell Guest

    On Sat, 21 Feb 2004 16:58:22 GMT, "Joseph Meehan" <>
    wrote:

    >Pashalis Tsarouxas wrote:
    >> I just bought an A70 Canon dc.
    >> Could you please give me information on how I can achieve best
    >> shootings? Just give me the best settings (values) for:

    >
    > I suggest leaving it all on auto until you learn what YOU want.
    >Photography is first an art and second a science.
    >
    > You question would be somewhat like Leonardo da Vinci asking his paint
    >salesman what color he should use for Monna Lisa's eyes. You are the
    >artist.
    >
    >--
    >Joseph E. Meehan
    >
    >26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
    >
    >

    But if Leonardo had done a little more research on materials
    'The Last Supper" might have lasted better.
    I think photography was first a science, then an art.
    Irwell, Feb 21, 2004
    #7
  8. Irwell wrote:
    > On Sat, 21 Feb 2004 16:58:22 GMT, "Joseph Meehan"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> Pashalis Tsarouxas wrote:
    >>> I just bought an A70 Canon dc.
    >>> Could you please give me information on how I can achieve best
    >>> shootings? Just give me the best settings (values) for:

    >>
    >> I suggest leaving it all on auto until you learn what YOU want.
    >> Photography is first an art and second a science.
    >>
    >> You question would be somewhat like Leonardo da Vinci asking his
    >> paint salesman what color he should use for Monna Lisa's eyes. You
    >> are the artist.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Joseph E. Meehan
    >>
    >> 26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
    >>
    >>

    > But if Leonardo had done a little more research on materials
    > 'The Last Supper" might have lasted better.



    > I think photography was first a science, then an art.


    Chronologically true. I would say that art is prime today however.


    --
    Joseph E. Meehan

    26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
    Joseph Meehan, Feb 22, 2004
    #8
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Hime

    Bog amateur standard photographer

    Hime, Aug 8, 2005, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    312
  2. Bruce
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    307
    Ofnuts
    Aug 11, 2010
  3. Bruce
    Replies:
    67
    Views:
    5,756
  4. Robert Sneddon

    Re: Amateur photographer captures space shuttle from back garden

    Robert Sneddon, Mar 4, 2011, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    301
    J. Clarke
    Mar 5, 2011
  5. Bruce
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    227
    Bruce
    Feb 29, 2012
Loading...

Share This Page