please help me find a router and i'll offer you something in return

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by msi, Apr 24, 2004.

  1. msi

    msi Guest

    Ok folks, I've been looking for a router that has some feaures and so far
    the only one I have found is a Belkin 802.11G one. It isn't working out for
    me so far, I'm on my second one. There's a lot of issues for me. So, i am
    asking all of you to please if you would be willing to help me out, I'd like
    to return the favor and pay you maybe $15 for helping me. I'll pay $15 to
    the first one who suggests the right kind of router for me and I buy it. It
    needs to meet my needs though. I'll pick the best suggested router from all
    the suggestions.

    Here's what my needs are and what i've tried so far.

    First, I can not get DSL. Won't use dial up. I have cable. Earthlink powered
    by comcast. 3mbps. I live in Washington state.

    I have tried the netgear RP614 and linksys 1 port router one. Those do not
    have parent control web content filtering in them at all. I have currently
    the Belkin 802.11G and in 2 weeks, I'm on my second router. It is buggy and
    unreliable. It freezes a lot, the set up pages when you hit apply changes
    won't reload the page sometimes, or it takes a long time, and a couple other
    issues. However it has the most important feature I need. Parental control
    web content filtering. I also won't use a linux pc for this, but it needs to
    be a real router.

    Ok, so here's my needs and wants. This list is not in any specific order.

    1: I would like for it to show how much the WAN port only, downloads and
    uploads. It would be nice if the router had a page in the set up pages for
    this information. I guess also this would be SNMP. This feature is not 100%
    needed, but greatly wanted and desired. Figure 100% wanted, 80% or so
    needed.

    2: Parental control web conent filter. This is 100% needed. Is a must in any
    trouter I get. Not just a keyword or url box you put stuff in to block, like
    all the netgear has and linksys, but a full rating system, blocking
    categories etc parent control filter. The Belkin uses www.cerberian.com for
    thiers. you have 56 categories to select etc. I would like it to filter
    usenet newsgroups also. Not block port 119, most routers you can set it to
    block ports, but filter them. Block the porn newsgroups, but leave the rest
    alone, or enter in keywords to block. Also block totally from running, p2p
    networking apps like kazaa and limewire etc. My guess is that this all would
    be from the parent control content filter company or whatever.

    3: Wireless G, not B as G is compatible with B and much faster. The router
    does not have to have wireless, but it is preferred.

    4: 4 port 10/100 switch built in.

    5: good warranty and tech support. like a toll free tech number 24./7
    support. this is a request from something i buy, not a need.

    6: Under $200. This is 100% must.

    7: hopefully can be bought from comp usa. A friend of mine works there and i
    can get it cheaper. Staples, Best Buy, those type stores are ok too. if got
    from catalog, must have a 100% money refund return policy if it didn't work
    out for me or i didn't like it. Or if I was able to buy from the comapny,
    online or something. That might work ok too.

    8: hopefully you can help find a couple reviews online about what you
    suggest also. it'd be nice to know a little about the router before i
    actually bought it. specificaly some mention of the parent control filtering
    it would use and the ability for you to get download and upload stats from
    the WAN port or SNMP or whatever it is that does that.
    msi, Apr 24, 2004

  2. msi

    Duane Arnold Guest

    "msi" <> wrote in

> [...]
    >
    > 5: good warranty and tech support. like a toll free tech number 24./7
    > support. this is a request from something i buy, not a need.
    >
    > 6: Under $200. This is 100% must.
    >
    > 7: hopefully can be bought from comp usa. A friend of mine works there
    > and i can get it cheaper. Staples, Best Buy, those type stores are ok
    > too. if got from catalog, must have a 100% money refund return policy
    > if it didn't work out for me or i didn't like it. Or if I was able to
    > buy from the comapny, online or something. That might work ok too.
    >
    > 8: hopefully you can help find a couple reviews online about what you
    > suggest also. it'd be nice to know a little about the router before i
    > actually bought it. specificaly some mention of the parent control
    > filtering it would use and the ability for you to get download and
    > upload stats from the WAN port or SNMP or whatever it is that does

    I am beginning to suspect that you're in need of a baby bottle, a Pamper
    change and Prozac and not a router. You seem to be all over the Internet
    with this continuous *I need help for my router* spill. You seem to have
    a lot of issues with routers. Now, you're willing to pay money? It's too
    ridiculous to say the least. :)

    A friend in need is a friend indeed and Google is you friend. :)

    Duane :)
    Duane Arnold, Apr 24, 2004

  3. msi

    Plato Guest

    msi wrote:

    > asking all of you to please if you would be willing to help me out, I'd like
    > to return the favor and pay you maybe $15 for helping me. I'll pay $15 to

    I know the answer to your problem and its not the router. Send me a
    check, and after it
    clears, I'll email you the answer.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/
    Plato, Apr 24, 2004
  4. msi

    Michael-NC Guest

    For Christ's sake, just get a good router:

    http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?grid=33&scid=35&prid=579

    And get a _separate_ filtering program.

    www.cybersitter.com

    That's what I do and I have no problems. In addition, the filter is
    configured to send me an email listing all the web sites visited each day
    and has all the features you listed and more. Expecting a router to filter
    effectively is expecting too much.

    Michael-NC, Apr 24, 2004
  5. msi

    msi Guest

    No can do. The filter cybersitter for me is the worst of them all just
    about. that and net nanny. i already have filters on computers, cyberpatrol.
    the filter inside the router will be a good back up and for those that
    choose to set up a linux pc here or what have you. so i (need) a router with
    the filter built in to it.

    msi, Apr 24, 2004
  6. msi

    msi Guest

    also linksys do not support some of the features that i need too.

    msi, Apr 24, 2004
  7. msi

    msi Guest

    no expecting a router to filter good is not expecting to much. i have the
    belkin one and cerbierian filters good for web sites.

    msi, Apr 24, 2004
  8. msi

    Michael-NC Guest

    What the hell is the matter with CyberSitter?

    Consumer reports rates CyberSitter as one of the best and in my own
    experience with it, after running in on 3 machines for over 5 years, it's
    very good.

    Michael-NC, Apr 25, 2004
  9. msi

    Michael-NC Guest

    "msi" <> wrote in message
    > no expecting a router to filter good is not expecting to much. i have the
    > belkin one and cerbierian filters good for web sites.

    Then learn how to properly configure the router you have.
    Michael-NC, Apr 25, 2004
  10. msi

    msi Guest

    this isn't a discussion about filtering programs, but my needs for a router
    and my willing to and wanting to return the favor for people to help find me
    one.

    but, when i tried cybersitter, it has a lot of problems, i don't care what
    anyone rates it. i think they are totally so completely screwed up when
    giving cybersitter the best rating when cyberpatrol does much more. and
    better as well.

    msi, Apr 25, 2004
  11. msi

    msi Guest

    it's fine.

    msi, Apr 25, 2004
  12. msi

    Michael-NC Guest

    "msi" <> wrote in message
    > this isn't a discussion about filtering programs, but my needs for a

    router
    > and my willing to and wanting to return the favor for people to help find

    me
    > one.

    IMHO, it's entirely condescending and asinine for you to be offering a 15.00
    reward to help you find a router. People post here because they _want_ to
    help. There are no high-tech bounty hunters cruising newsgroups looking for
    people who offer rewards in exchange for help. Please get a clue.
    Michael-NC, Apr 25, 2004
  13. msi

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    "msi" <> wrote in news:20040424225000.258
    $:

    > it's fine.

    Then why the hell are you looking for a new one?

    --
    website: http://www.demonlag.com
    AIM: FrznFoodClerk
    DeMoN LaG, Apr 26, 2004
  14. msi

    msi Guest

    bye ybe

    msi, Apr 26, 2004
  15. msi

    msi Guest

    i said it's fine referring to the set up, nto the router itself which really
    sucks ass, it is buggy as hell.

    msi, Apr 26, 2004
  16. msi

    Michael-NC Guest

    "msi" <> wrote in message
    > i said it's fine referring to the set up, nto the router itself which

    really
    > sucks ass, it is buggy as hell.

    All wireless connections can be buggy as hell. A thorough going over is
    called for in almost every setup. Some routers don't play nice with certain
    receivers. Most times, you're better off if you can use the same brand of
    wireless NIC as the router. _Updating firmware_ also solves lots of
    problems.

    Michael-NC, Apr 27, 2004