    good (but inexpensive) digital camera out there for me? I do not want
    to spend over $400 Thanks!

    , Mar 4, 2005

  2. David Guest

    wrote:
    > I want to buy a digital camera for model photos I want to upload to a
    > website. Is a 4.0 good enough or must I get at least a 5.0 Is there

    > good (but inexpensive) digital camera out there for me? I do not want
    > to spend over $400 Thanks!

    The megapixels are important, but not any more so than the quality of
    the lens and some other parts of the camera. I would highly suggest you
    go to your local libray and look up the latest issue of Cosumner
    Reports Magazine that has didgital camera reviews in it. They do a
    great job of giving unbiased data on how well cameras take pictures.
    Even if you don't go with one of their recommended models you will know
    a LOT more about digital cameras. I used them to buy a Kodak model and
    I have been VERY happy with it and so have all my friends and relatives
    who I recommended they buy the same model. It is about 3 years old so
    no point in you trying to get that one of course. When you get one and
    start uploading pictures would love to see what your doing with it.

    All my best,

    David

    David, Mar 4, 2005

  3. Fyimo Guest

    It depends a lot on the type of photography that you are going to do.
    If you can live with shutter delay and don't need a long optical zoom
    lens then I would argue that a 3 MP or higher will work. This is
    especially true if you just want to put images on the web for family
    and friends to look at. Then low resolution (72 to 100 DPI) would work
    fine. If you want to do prints larger then 8X10 then then a 5 MP would
    be better.

    The question is to general to give you a specific answer. I had a Fuji
    2800 Finepix that was 2 MP and had a 6X optical zoom and it worked
    great for images on the web. However, when I dropped film I went to a
    Canon 20D DSLR at 8 MP and I can tell you it's much better for making
    images to print photo's.

    Art

    Fyimo, Mar 4, 2005
  4. Fyimo Guest

    If you are going to do serious model pictures you probably need at
    least 4MO camera and 5 MP would be better. Depending how close you want
    to work a 4x to 6X zoom would work well. The other concern would be
    lighting as the onboard flashes are really weak so and external hot
    shoe and an external flash would really make life easier for you.

    Art

    Fyimo, Mar 4, 2005
  5. take a good look at pictures you see on websites. choose some you like
    (technically) and check their resolution. you'll be amazed to learn that
    most pics come at a very low resolution - something on the order of 1 to 2
    Megs (even after allowing for compression).
    moral: if you just want to post pics on the net, a resolution of 4 megs is
    way beyond what you need.
    of course, if you want to go commercial and deliver good prints,4 megs will
    only get you to around a 8 by 10, and even this just "so-so".

    Yehuda Paradise, Mar 4, 2005
  6. On 4 Mar 2005 09:02:29 -0800, wrote:

    >I want to buy a digital camera for model photos I want to upload to a
    >website. Is a 4.0 good enough or must I get at least a 5.0 Is there a
    >good (but inexpensive) digital camera out there for me? I do not want
    >to spend over $400 Thanks!

    4.0 of anything in particular? 4.0 kilos? 4.0 cm? 4.0 batteries?

    My crystal ball suggests you're actually talking Megapixels. 1 Megapixel
    is sufficient to fill the window of most people's browsers. Assuming you
    are talking about photos you intend to be viewed in a browser (as
    opposed to downloaded for printing) 1 Megapixel is sufficient, 2 is
    ample.

    --
    Stephen Poley

    Stephen Poley, Mar 4, 2005
  7. Guest

    If it's just for upload photos for a Web site, don't spend much.
    Any major-brand digicam now will do quite well for it. What to look
    for is a good zoom lens (I suggest equiv. 28-140 or 35-105) that will
    let you photo stuff from nearby or far away as need be. A real good
    choice - if not the latest - is Sony's DSC-D770; you can find them on
    eBay well under $400 from people who have to upgrade to the latest and
    fanciest; it is a quasi-SLR with a nondetachable 28-140 equiv zoom
    lens.

    See all our stuff at <a
    href="http://stores.ebay.com/INTERNET-GUN-SHOW">Internet Gun Show!</a>

    , Mar 4, 2005
  8. Sheldon Guest

    "Stephen Poley" <> wrote in message
    > On 4 Mar 2005 09:02:29 -0800, wrote:
    >
    >>I want to buy a digital camera for model photos I want to upload to a
    >>website. Is a 4.0 good enough or must I get at least a 5.0 Is there a
    >>good (but inexpensive) digital camera out there for me? I do not want
    >>to spend over $400 Thanks!

    > 4.0 of anything in particular? 4.0 kilos? 4.0 cm? 4.0 batteries?
    >
    > My crystal ball suggests you're actually talking Megapixels. 1 Megapixel
    > is sufficient to fill the window of most people's browsers. Assuming you
    > are talking about photos you intend to be viewed in a browser (as
    > opposed to downloaded for printing) 1 Megapixel is sufficient, 2 is
    > ample.
    >
    > --
    > Stephen Poley

    I agree. If you are only going to use the camera to post photos on the Web
    (like for eBay), you don't need very much. Any name brand camera that's
    around 1 megapixel to 2 megapixel will do. I usually shrink my eBay shots
    down to around 640x480 which isn't even 1 megapixel. Yet, they look sharp
    and detailed on my screen. Now, if you want to make prints, that's another
    story. IMO 3 or 4 megapixels will make a "decent" 8x10, and would be well
    within your price range. Also, consider the macro qualities of the camera.
    It's nice to be able to get within a few inches of your subject without
    needing special lenses or attachments. Many inexpensive cameras will do
    this.

    You can't go wrong with Sony, Nikon, Canon, or Olympus. IMHO in any price
    range these brands should give you clear sharp colorful photos. Megapixels
    will determine how large you can make prints from your images.

    Sheldon, Mar 5, 2005