Please help me choose a camera based on my 5 criteria...

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Jeffrey Stetz, Oct 16, 2004.

  1. First, can you people PLEASE not get into fights? Every single thread
    that I happened to have read had people bickering... ugh.

    OK, now... I am totally lost in the world of digital cameras. Here's
    what I want, and maybe you can recommend something to me...

    1) Price range: $200-$400 if I go with a P&S, but anything more
    expensive than that and I'll probably go for a Canon Digital Rebel
    with their latest $100 rebate promotion. I will probably also sell my
    old film Rebel on eBay.

    2) Use: Casual photography, probably 50% indoors, 30% outdoors, 10%
    nature, 10% low-light, (I would like to be able to have OK (if not
    great) shots in low-light too)

    3) Mode of use: I would *really* like to have it with me at all times,
    so in that sense having a DRebel kinda destroys that option. However,
    if I do buy a DRebel, I would probably also eventually buy a sub-$100
    2 or 3 MP camera to have with me at all times for those "oh my God,
    did you see that?" shots.

    4) Picture use: 80% view/store on the computer, e-mail, playing with
    Photoshop, etc, 20% print out (maybe).

    5) Previous photography experience: 35mm film Canon Rebel with kit
    lens. I used it for about 3 years with no photography experience and
    thought its Auto mode was no better than any other P&S cameras, so for
    a while I was disappointed. Then, about a year ago I started reading
    usenet groups and found out that the problem is with the photographer
    95% of the time ;) So, I started learning all I could about its
    different modes and their use, bought a tripod and a remote shutter
    release and made some very nice photos (IMO), however I stopped
    because I figured I'd rather "teach myself" with a digital camera
    since it'll be *free* and I wouldn't have to pay $7 for every film I
    botched... So that brings me here.

    My concern about a D-Rebel is that it's too much for what I need. I
    have always wanted the best equipment regardless of whether I could
    make the best of it, but this time the price difference just may be
    worth changing my mind on that...

    Thanks.

    Jeffrey Stetz, Oct 16, 2004

  2. Jeffrey Stetz

    GT40 Guest

    On 16 Oct 2004 12:44:14 -0700, (Jeffrey Stetz)
    wrote:

    >First, can you people PLEASE not get into fights? Every single thread
    >that I happened to have read had people bickering... ugh.
    >
    >OK, now... I am totally lost in the world of digital cameras. Here's
    >what I want, and maybe you can recommend something to me...
    >
    >1) Price range: $200-$400 if I go with a P&S, but anything more
    >expensive than that and I'll probably go for a Canon Digital Rebel
    >with their latest $100 rebate promotion. I will probably also sell my
    >old film Rebel on eBay.

    Canon Powershot S1 IS, Canon Powershot A95. Those aren't the only
    cameras just a couple. Goto B&H Photos website, then you can do a
    search.

    >2) Use: Casual photography, probably 50% indoors, 30% outdoors, 10%
    >nature, 10% low-light, (I would like to be able to have OK (if not
    >great) shots in low-light too)

    You have to define what low light means before you figure out what you
    want.

    >3) Mode of use: I would *really* like to have it with me at all times,
    >so in that sense having a DRebel kinda destroys that option. However,
    >if I do buy a DRebel, I would probably also eventually buy a sub-$100
    >2 or 3 MP camera to have with me at all times for those "oh my God,
    >did you see that?" shots.

    For a real small camera look at the Digital Elph line (Canon)

    >4) Picture use: 80% view/store on the computer, e-mail, playing with
    >Photoshop, etc, 20% print out (maybe).

    Print out at what size? For computer use 2MP is more than enough,
    printing depends on size.

    >5) Previous photography experience: 35mm film Canon Rebel with kit
    >lens. I used it for about 3 years with no photography experience and
    >thought its Auto mode was no better than any other P&S cameras, so for
    >a while I was disappointed. Then, about a year ago I started reading
    >usenet groups and found out that the problem is with the photographer
    >95% of the time ;) So, I started learning all I could about its
    >different modes and their use, bought a tripod and a remote shutter
    >release and made some very nice photos (IMO), however I stopped
    >because I figured I'd rather "teach myself" with a digital camera
    >since it'll be *free* and I wouldn't have to pay $7 for every film I
    >botched... So that brings me here.

    In this senerio, get the digital rebel, I think you can re-use all
    your accesories with it (but check first). And get some books an
    other instruction on photography.

    >My concern about a D-Rebel is that it's too much for what I need. I
    >have always wanted the best equipment regardless of whether I could
    >make the best of it, but this time the price difference just may be
    >worth changing my mind on that...

    It depends on what you want to do with it, the digital rebel lets you
    control the camera, rather than it doing all the work for you. If you
    want to learn you need to look for a camera that you can override the
    auto settings. If a DSLR is too big, look at the Canon G line which I
    think is G6 now, or the Pro 1.

    The cameras I metioned are all Canon, but Nikon and other companies
    make similar products.

    GT40, Oct 16, 2004

  3. PowerShot S500 Digital Elph, 5.0 Megapixel or some such.

    You really should spend some time reading reviews to get what you feel is
    important.

    Good luck!

    Charles Schuler, Oct 16, 2004
  4. I did, and I am reading reviews... But it's just so damn confusing. The
    worst part is that, with the exception of very few, any review you read on,
    say, Amazon, or even professional reviews - like on dpreview, or steve's
    digicams -- all rate most of today's cameras very highly. Most always rate
    the picture quality as "high," and only negative points are usually battery
    life or small lcd, or proprietary media or whatnot...

    My current thoughts are along the lines of the Canon S series -- likely S50
    or S60. However, once I pass the $400 mark, I want to get a Rebel, which can
    be had for just a little more.

    Now about those previous questions:

    > You have to define what low light means before you figure out what you
    > want.

    Low-light -- say, lake at dusk, sunset, or the skyline of the city at night,
    say, with exposure of a couple of seconds. Basically, the camera has to have
    at least some manual settings, like aperture/shutter priority and, if not a
    remote shutter release, at least a delay - so that I could set it on a
    tripod, press the button and the camera would only start capturing after a
    couple of seconds or so, to avoid shake.

    > For a real small camera look at the Digital Elph line (Canon)

    I was ready to buy a S410 because everyone raves about its pictures, but it
    lacks any manual settings and its form factor and sex appeal is what raises
    its price instead of real features of, say, S60, which costs probably the
    same.

    > Print out at what size? For computer use 2MP is more than enough,
    > printing depends on size.

    I would say 8x10 tops, but I don't want to limit myself if in the future I
    have a simply amazing shot that I want to make a poster out of (yeah right).
    ;-)

    > In this senerio, get the digital rebel, I think you can re-use all
    > your accesories with it (but check first). And get some books an
    > other instruction on photography.

    I know I can use the kit lens that came with the film Rebel on the digital
    one - that would save me another $150 or so, not buying the 18-55mm EF-S
    lens. Are they at all comparable in quality? (I know, kit lenses are usually
    considered junk, but cut me some slack).

    > It depends on what you want to do with it, the digital rebel lets you
    > control the camera, rather than it doing all the work for you. If you
    > want to learn you need to look for a camera that you can override the
    > auto settings. If a DSLR is too big, look at the Canon G line which I
    > think is G6 now, or the Pro 1.

    Canon G6 is way to expensive, and I would already go with the DSLR
    instead...

    Jeffrey Stetz, Oct 16, 2004
  5. Jeffrey Stetz

    GT40 Guest

    On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 21:28:38 GMT, "Jeffrey Stetz"
    <> wrote:

    >> You have to define what low light means before you figure out what you
    >> want.
    >>

    >Low-light -- say, lake at dusk, sunset, or the skyline of the city at night,
    >say, with exposure of a couple of seconds. Basically, the camera has to have
    >at least some manual settings, like aperture/shutter priority and, if not a
    >remote shutter release, at least a delay - so that I could set it on a
    >tripod, press the button and the camera would only start capturing after a
    >couple of seconds or so, to avoid shake.

    There aren't many digital cameras, even DSLR's that do as good as film
    in low light with a 2 second time. That said, you need one that has
    noise reduction for long exposure.

    >> Print out at what size? For computer use 2MP is more than enough,
    >> printing depends on size.

    >I would say 8x10 tops, but I don't want to limit myself if in the future I
    >have a simply amazing shot that I want to make a poster out of (yeah right).

    8x10's can be done with a 2MP camera, but a lot of that depends on the
    phsyical size of the sensor.

    >> In this senerio, get the digital rebel, I think you can re-use all
    >> your accesories with it (but check first). And get some books an
    >> other instruction on photography.
    >>

    >I know I can use the kit lens that came with the film Rebel on the digital
    >one - that would save me another $150 or so, not buying the 18-55mm EF-S
    >lens. Are they at all comparable in quality? (I know, kit lenses are usually
    >considered junk, but cut me some slack).

    For what you seem to be doing the lens is fine.

    >> It depends on what you want to do with it, the digital rebel lets you
    >> control the camera, rather than it doing all the work for you. If you
    >> want to learn you need to look for a camera that you can override the
    >> auto settings. If a DSLR is too big, look at the Canon G line which I
    >> think is G6 now, or the Pro 1.
    >>

    >Canon G6 is way to expensive, and I would already go with the DSLR
    >instead...

    Ok, based on all your needs, I think you are better off getting the
    digital rebel.

    GT40, Oct 16, 2004
  6. (Jeffrey Stetz) wrote in

    > First, can you people PLEASE not get into fights? Every single thread
    > that I happened to have read had people bickering... ugh.

    You are probably reading the wrong threads then :) Or you
    are very sensitive. I don't see all that much fights here.
    Hint: not all discussions can be considered fighting.

    Now - back to the topic.

    For some reason I end up looking at Canon cameras when it
    comes to compact P&S. S1 IS, G6, G5, S70, S60, A95, ...
    They have a very large assortment of nice thingies.
    The Panasonic DMC-FZ20 alos look nice. The Nikon compact
    thingieas only look strange IMHO today. I also have lost track
    of the Olympus ones. The Oly C-8080 looks nice though.

    But - nothing beats a good SLR.

    /Roland

    Roland Karlsson, Oct 16, 2004
  7. Jeffrey Stetz

    Nick Withers Guest

    Yes, I think that the Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZZ20 looks good.
    5mps, 12X optical zoom and a very good Leica lens.
    I intend to upgrade to that camera. There is little wrong with my
    DMC-LC43 4mps 3X zoom except that there is no manual control of aperture
    or shutter speed. The images are brilliant for 6in x 4in and good even
    enlarged to A4 size.
    My opinion is go with Panasonic.

    Nick Withers, Oct 17, 2004
  8. All right...

    I decided to buy the Canon A75 based on the fact that spending $150 on
    it will not break the bank, it's gotten great reviews, and the fact
    that it has manual controls.

    What I'm thinking is that I will see how all this goes, will play with
    it, with its manual controls, get the feel for it all, and most
    importantly, have a camera Now, when I want it.

    I have learned that a good photographer will do well with any
    half-decent camera, whereas give a bad photographer a top of the line
    SLR and the pictures will still be crap. So for now I think I can
    learn and learn and when I feel that I want more, I can go for the
    Rebel, and keep the A75 as a toy to just carry around.

    Please give me feedback on my reasoning - am I right, or trying to
    convince myself of something? Thanks :)

    Jeffrey Stetz, Oct 20, 2004