Please HELP- Making the jump into Digital from film background

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Tom M, Dec 13, 2006.

  1. Tom M

    Tom M Guest

    Hi, and thanks for reading this.

    I NEED YOUR COMMENTS/OPINIONS.

    I have been "away" from mainstream (Serious) Photography for some
    time.

    Now retired, I'd like to add a Digital SLR to my roster.
    I do not have the funds to go MF Digital.

    CURRENT EQUIPMENT:
    Since I already have Nikon Lenses (8 AI & 5 AF Nikkors, 1 Sigma AF + 1
    Tamron Zoom and a Long CAT mirror lens.) and familiarity with Nikons
    (F, F2, F3, FE, FE2, 8008, 8008s) I felt the obvious choice was to go
    with a Nikon D-SLR. (I can't figure How I'd use my 800mm CAT lens one
    one though..)

    DIGITAL EXPERIENCE:
    My only experience with Digital has been with a Kodak 3x Zoom 6.1 Mpx
    "Compact Slr" type. Which I enjoy using but has it's limitations. I
    have some SD cards (256, 512 and 1Gb all SanDisk) for it. I have been
    working with pix we took during my granddaughter's wedding and I'm
    having a BALL.

    My HP Desktop has a photo editing software plus I also bought
    Photoshop Elements.

    USAGE.

    Confined to a wheelchair now, I can get around some but hiking trials
    and climbing or rapelling is a thing of the past. So maybe some
    Nature, Scenics, General family-type, Pet photos, my favorite subjects
    (tree stumps and old machinery), Custom cars/trucks and Trains.

    I DO like to use multiple flash set-ups athough my flash meter is DOA,
    so TTL flash would be nice. (I read that the Nikons need a DX flash to
    accomplish this - darn.)

    I don't think getting a unit capable of less than 6 Mpx is wise.
    I'd like to keep it at or around $500.
    I saw some great "deals" on the N80, but upon checking out the
    resellers on Reseller Reviews was leery of them. The best I've seen
    from a "reputable" USA Dealer is a bit over $700. I prefer NEW. (due
    to relative unfamiliarity).

    My choices seem to be:
    Nikon D70s (discontinued but still available)
    Nikon D50
    Fujifilm S2pro, (is out of reach right now.)
    Other Brand (Sigma, Samsung, etc.) which means starting all over and
    carrying TWO sets of lenses, flashes and Cards. Exactly what I was
    hoping to avoid.

    YOUR RECOMMENDATION/COMMENTS ARE WELCOME.

    ALSO:
    I have a HUGE accumulation(45 years worth) of decent images (35mm,
    6x6 adn 6x7 neg and transparency) and am considering buying a
    Canonscan 9950F to get them into digital form. Am I on the right track
    here?

    AGAIN, I WELCOME YOUR INPUT.

    Tom M.
    Granbury, Texas

    PLEASE READ RETURN E-MAIL-above.. must remove a section.
    OR

    I am splitting my e-mail address to foil spammers.

    Maggietom.REMOVETHIS@

    REMOVETHISTOO. HTComp.net
    Tom M, Dec 13, 2006

  2. Tom M wrote:
    > Hi, and thanks for reading this.
    >
    > I NEED YOUR COMMENTS/OPINIONS.
    >
    > I have been "away" from mainstream (Serious) Photography for some
    > time.
    >
    > Now retired, I'd like to add a Digital SLR to my roster.
    > I do not have the funds to go MF Digital.
    >
    > CURRENT EQUIPMENT:
    > Since I already have Nikon Lenses (8 AI & 5 AF Nikkors, 1 Sigma AF + 1
    > Tamron Zoom and a Long CAT mirror lens.) and familiarity with Nikons
    > (F, F2, F3, FE, FE2, 8008, 8008s) I felt the obvious choice was to go
    > with a Nikon D-SLR. (I can't figure How I'd use my 800mm CAT lens one
    > one though..)

    I believe you are on the right path. I believe you can use that 800mm
    but you may want to check. I suggest you stick with the Nikon line. The
    Nikons are good cameras and you can use a lot of your current equipment.

    --
    Joseph Meehan

    Dia 's Muire duit
    Joseph Meehan, Dec 13, 2006

  3. Tom M

    tomm42 Guest

    On Dec 13, 3:36 pm, Tom M <> wrote:
    > Hi, and thanks for reading this.
    >
    > I NEED YOUR COMMENTS/OPINIONS.
    >
    > I have been "away" from mainstream (Serious) Photography for some
    > time.
    >
    > Now retired, I'd like to add a Digital SLR to my roster.
    > I do not have the funds to go MF Digital.
    >
    > CURRENT EQUIPMENT:
    > Since I already have Nikon Lenses (8 AI & 5 AF Nikkors, 1 Sigma AF + 1
    > Tamron Zoom and a Long CAT mirror lens.) and familiarity with Nikons
    > (F, F2, F3, FE, FE2, 8008, 8008s) I felt the obvious choice was to go
    > with a Nikon D-SLR. (I can't figure How I'd use my 800mm CAT lens one
    > one though..)
    >
    > DIGITAL EXPERIENCE:
    > My only experience with Digital has been with a Kodak 3x Zoom 6.1 Mpx
    > "Compact Slr" type. Which I enjoy using but has it's limitations. I
    > have some SD cards (256, 512 and 1Gb all SanDisk) for it. I have been
    > working with pix we took during my granddaughter's wedding and I'm
    > having a BALL.
    >
    > My HP Desktop has a photo editing software plus I also bought
    > Photoshop Elements.
    >
    > USAGE.
    >
    > Confined to a wheelchair now, I can get around some but hiking trials
    > and climbing or rapelling is a thing of the past. So maybe some
    > Nature, Scenics, General family-type, Pet photos, my favorite subjects
    > (tree stumps and old machinery), Custom cars/trucks and Trains.
    >
    > I DO like to use multiple flash set-ups athough my flash meter is DOA,
    > so TTL flash would be nice. (I read that the Nikons need a DX flash to
    > accomplish this - darn.)
    >
    > I don't think getting a unit capable of less than 6 Mpx is wise.
    > I'd like to keep it at or around $500.
    > I saw some great "deals" on the N80, but upon checking out the
    > resellers on Reseller Reviews was leery of them. The best I've seen
    > from a "reputable" USA Dealer is a bit over $700. I prefer NEW. (due
    > to relative unfamiliarity).
    >
    > My choices seem to be:
    > Nikon D70s (discontinued but still available)
    > Nikon D50
    > Fujifilm S2pro, (is out of reach right now.)
    > Other Brand (Sigma, Samsung, etc.) which means starting all over and
    > carrying TWO sets of lenses, flashes and Cards. Exactly what I was
    > hoping to avoid.
    >
    > YOUR RECOMMENDATION/COMMENTS ARE WELCOME.
    >
    > ALSO:
    > I have a HUGE accumulation(45 years worth) of decent images (35mm,
    > 6x6 adn 6x7 neg and transparency) and am considering buying a
    > Canonscan 9950F to get them into digital form. Am I on the right track
    > here?
    >
    > AGAIN, I WELCOME YOUR INPUT.
    >
    > Tom M.
    > Granbury, Texas
    >
    > PLEASE READ RETURN E-MAIL-above.. must remove a section.
    > OR
    >
    > I am splitting my e-mail address to foil spammers.
    >
    > Maggietom.REMOVETHIS@

    If you want to use your AI lenses with incamera meters you'll have to
    go with a D200. Not only will it meter with AI lenses you will also be
    able to focus easier due to the prism finder. If you don't mind going
    used look at a Nikon D1X, they are pro cameras so try to get one that
    is lightly used. The D200 is definitly a better choice, a lightly used
    D1X will be about 1/2 the price of a D200. The D70 and D50 will use the
    AI lenses they just won't meter and their mirror based finders are
    small and dim making manual focusing difficult.
    Your 800 Cat, should be usable if it has AI wings on the mount, watch
    out if it doesn't have the AI mount, both the above cameras will meter
    with it. What you do loose with an APS DSLR is wide angle, your 28mm WA
    becomes a hohum 42mm, that is why you have kit zooms starting at 18mm,
    which is a 35mm equivelent of 27mm. But your 800 gets the reach of a
    1200mm.
    Good luck

    Tom
    tomm42, Dec 14, 2006