    Please help me!

    Our o/s is Windows XP Pro

    anikya

    anikya, May 7, 2004

  2. anikya

    Parko Guest

    anikya wrote:
    > We've been having trouble with browser hijacking, and my brother's messing
    > with the computer trying to fix security.
    > Just now he deleted a start program in WinPatrol by mistake.
    > We've lost the printers, and windows refuse to install. I can't finish my
    > homework.
    > Please help me!
    >
    > Our o/s is Windows XP Pro
    >
    > anikya

    Try these:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;314058
    Assuming you have access to an XP installation disk. If not beg, borrow
    or buy one. Then go here and install:
    http://www.zonelabs.com/store/content/home.jsp
    And here:
    http://www.grisoft.com/us/us_dwnl7.php
    And here:
    Then here:
    http://texturizer.net/firefox/index.html
    And here:
    http://texturizer.net/thunderbird/
    Or:
    http://www.opera.com/
    The last ones web browser and email clients. Running programs other than
    IE6 and Outlook Express reduces you chances of being exploited by
    browser hijackers and viruses etcetera. Keep your computer up to date here:
    http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/en/default.asp
    Visit the Microsoft update site regularly.
    Tell your brother to go away and learn something about WinXP Pro or go
    rewire his bedroom, hopefully with similar success.
    --
    Parko.
    Undergoing temporary insanity by using Windows XP.

    Parko, May 7, 2004

  3. anikya

    °Mike° Guest

    Go to the 'Options' tab of WinPatrol, and press
    the 'View History' button. Highlight the start
    program that he deleted, and press 'Restore'.

    Tell your brother to stop "messing", and download,
    update and use *all* of the following:

    Spybot Search & Destroy
    http://spybot.eon.net.au/
    http://www.safer-networking.org/
    http://spybot.safer-networking.de/
    SpyBot S&D guide

    Ad-Aware
    http://www.lavasoftusa.com/
    http://www.lavasoft.nu/

    Spyware Blaster

    CWShredder (CoolWebSearch remover)

    On Fri, 07 May 2004 06:26:32 GMT, in
    <s_Fmc.397748$oR5.153175@pd7tw3no>
    anikya scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, May 7, 2004
  4. anikya

    anikya Guest

    Thank you. I can't stop him from messing now that he's in his teens. Wish
    he'd be a baby still. He thinks only boys are good at IT.
    AAMOF, I have every single security measure you mentioned, plus CWShredder
    and Reglite, and I update and scan almost daily. He had to go to Pest Patrol
    and found we got 4 pests, which none other pest elimination ware identify.
    I've just painstakingly checked every single item suggested for removal by
    Pest Patrol, and found nothing.
    It's now too late to go to WinPatrol...he's got rid of it by activating
    restoration.

    anikya

    "°Mike°" <> ??? news:
    ???...

    anikya, May 7, 2004
  5. anikya

    anikya Guest

    "Parko" <> ???
    news:ceHmc.25143$ ???...
    > anikya wrote:
    > > We've been having trouble with browser hijacking, and my brother's

    messing
    > > with the computer trying to fix security.
    > > Just now he deleted a start program in WinPatrol by mistake.
    > > We've lost the printers, and windows refuse to install. I can't finish

    my
    > > homework.
    > > Please help me!
    > >
    > > Our o/s is Windows XP Pro
    > >
    > > anikya
    > >

    > Try these:
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;314058
    > Assuming you have access to an XP installation disk. If not beg, borrow
    > or buy one. Then go here and install:
    > http://www.zonelabs.com/store/content/home.jsp
    > And here:
    > http://www.grisoft.com/us/us_dwnl7.php
    > And here:
    > http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/
    > Then here:
    > http://texturizer.net/firefox/index.html
    > And here:
    > http://texturizer.net/thunderbird/
    > Or:
    > http://www.opera.com/
    > The last ones web browser and email clients. Running programs other than
    > IE6 and Outlook Express reduces you chances of being exploited by
    > browser hijackers and viruses etcetera. Keep your computer up to date

    here:
    > http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/en/default.asp
    > Visit the Microsoft update site regularly.
    > Tell your brother to go away and learn something about WinXP Pro or go
    > rewire his bedroom, hopefully with similar success.
    > --
    > Parko.
    > Undergoing temporary insanity by using Windows XP.
    > Registered Linux User #339345
    > Defenestrate Windows!

    I do have all the security measures installed and updated religiously. My
    brother thinks girls have "no computer brains" and he does one thing after
    another to mess things up. His computer broke and he "borrows" mine. Our
    troubles started when Pest Patrol gave false positives.

    We do have the XP installation disc. It's just that updating after repair
    will take so long, and my homework's due in a few hours. <sigh>

    Opera and thunderbird sounds good. We're rather short of disk space, is it
    possible to uninstall IE or Express?

    znikya

    anikya, May 7, 2004
  6. anikya

    ^CrYpTo^ Guest

    heh you are shot the **** out really, reinstall and maybe finsih ur
    homework..

    ^CrYpTo^, May 7, 2004
  7. anikya

    Isaac Guest

    "anikya" <anikya@faked_anikya.com> wrote in news:XdImc.399974$Ig.203278
    @pd7tw2no:

    > We do have the XP installation disc. It's just that updating after repair
    > will take so long, and my homework's due in a few hours. <sigh>

    Can't you just mail your homework to a friend or something, print it there,
    and use the time consuming approach to fix you problem?

    Isaac, May 7, 2004
  8. anikya

    Parko Guest

    anikya wrote:

    > I do have all the security measures installed and updated religiously. My
    > brother thinks girls have "no computer brains" and he does one thing after
    > another to mess things up. His computer broke and he "borrows" mine. Our
    > troubles started when Pest Patrol gave false positives.
    >
    > We do have the XP installation disc. It's just that updating after repair
    > will take so long, and my homework's due in a few hours. <sigh>
    >
    > Opera and thunderbird sounds good. We're rather short of disk space, is it
    > possible to uninstall IE or Express?
    >
    > znikya

    You can't remove IE6 and Outlurk Express, they're integrated into that
    operating system. A better bet would be to remove little used programs,
    archive old files in My Documents if you have a CD or DVD burner, and
    failing that compress Drive: C. My Computer > right click Local Disc (C)
    > Properties check Compress drive to save disc space. Opera is a web

    browser, email client and newsreader. With Java it weighs in at 13.21Mb,
    without Java its 3.34Mb, but you lose a lot of its functionality.
    Dispoose of boy wonder by enabling password protected user accounts,
    give yourself administrative rights and give boy wonder a limmited
    account, which will offer some protection against his natural gift for
    computer management. Best bet for security is any Linux distribution.

    Parko, May 7, 2004
  9. anikya

    slumpy Guest

    ....and seconds before the explosion, anikya emerged from the bunker carrying
    the last chicken tikka masala humanity would ever see, crying:

    > Thank you. I can't stop him from messing now that he's in his teens.
    > Wish he'd be a baby still. He thinks only boys are good at IT.
    > AAMOF, I have every single security measure you mentioned, plus
    > CWShredder and Reglite, and I update and scan almost daily. He had to
    > go to Pest Patrol and found we got 4 pests, which none other pest
    > elimination ware identify. I've just painstakingly checked every
    > single item suggested for removal by Pest Patrol, and found nothing.
    > It's now too late to go to WinPatrol...he's got rid of it by
    > activating restoration.

    Set password protection on your system, make him no more than a 5-year old,
    and tell him if he bypasses it everything he has on it will be removed.

    It works.
    --
    slumpy
    no more

    slumpy, May 7, 2004
  10. anikya

    °Mike° Guest

    I read in your other reply that the computer is
    yours. If that's the case, you should be able
    to stop him; if you can't, you have more important
    problems than spyware, etc.

    On Fri, 07 May 2004 08:46:15 GMT, in
    <r1Imc.374221$Pk3.163485@pd7tw1no>
    anikya scrawled:

    >Thank you. I can't stop him from messing now that he's in his teens. Wish
    >he'd be a baby still. He thinks only boys are good at IT.
    >AAMOF, I have every single security measure you mentioned, plus CWShredder
    >and Reglite, and I update and scan almost daily. He had to go to Pest Patrol
    >and found we got 4 pests, which none other pest elimination ware identify.
    >I've just painstakingly checked every single item suggested for removal by
    >Pest Patrol, and found nothing.
    >It's now too late to go to WinPatrol...he's got rid of it by activating
    >restoration.
    >
    >anikya

    <snip>

    --