Please help identify this Nikkor Lens (AF Nikkor 35-105mm 1:3.5-4.5mm)

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by GTABuySell, Jun 7, 2004.

  1. GTABuySell

    GTABuySell Guest

    Hi,

    please help me identify this lens.

    Marking on the lens is:
    AF Nikkor
    35-105mm
    1:3.5-4.5

    Is this a D, G, AI-P etc lens. I am looking at the following website
    (http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond70/page2.asp) and I need to know if I
    can use this lens in the D70 at all.

    This lens belongs to my father's Nikon F60 SLR camera. I need to make up my
    mind whether to buy the Nikon D70 or the Canon Digital Rebel. I have
    searched the web for specifications on this lens but failed to find enough
    info to help me confirm that it is compatible with the D70. I read the
    review on www.dpreview.com and understand that not all functions of the D70
    are going to work on this old lens, but do you think I should buy the D70
    kit (i.e. with the DX 18-70mm DX lens) anyway? Just wonder if anyone know
    the approximate age of this type of lens.

    Thanks in advance for your help.
    Vi

    GTABuySell, Jun 7, 2004

  2. GTABuySell

    GTABuySell Guest

    The lens looks exactly like this one
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=3343&item=3817424638&rd=1

    Thanks.

    GTABuySell, Jun 7, 2004

  3. GTABuySell

    Guy Scharf Guest

    "GTABuySell" <> wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > please help me identify this lens.
    >
    > Marking on the lens is:
    > AF Nikkor
    > 35-105mm
    > 1:3.5-4.5
    >
    > Is this a D, G, AI-P etc lens. I am looking at the following
    > website (http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond70/page2.asp) and I
    > need to know if I can use this lens in the D70 at all.
    >
    > This lens belongs to my father's Nikon F60 SLR camera. I need to
    > make up my mind whether to buy the Nikon D70 or the Canon Digital
    > Rebel. I have searched the web for specifications on this lens
    > but failed to find enough info to help me confirm that it is
    > compatible with the D70. I read the review on www.dpreview.com
    > and understand that not all functions of the D70 are going to work
    > on this old lens, but do you think I should buy the D70 kit (i.e.
    > with the DX 18-70mm DX lens) anyway? Just wonder if anyone know
    > the approximate age of this type of lens.

    I bought one of those, used, in 1992 but then returned it in favor of a
    different zoom lens. I think I just wanted a different zoom range but
    don't recall the exact reason for the exchange. So I would guess this
    lens dates from the mid 1980's.

    If the lens has the AI coupling ridge (and it should), it can be
    mounted on the D70. See http://support.nikontech.com/cgi-
    bin/nikonusa.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=5366&&p_sid=2pcP7hdh&p
    _lva=9592&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9ncmlkc29ydD0mcF9yb3dfY250PTYmcF9zZWFyY2hf
    dGV4dD1haSByaW5nJnBfc2VhcmNoX3R5cGU9MyZwX3Byb2RfbHZsMT0xOSZwX3Byb2RfbHZ
    sMj01NiZwX2NhdF9sdmwxPX5hbnl_JnBfcGFnZT0x&p_li= for a picture showing
    the coupling ridge.

    Nikon says that, in general, any AF lens can be used with the D70.

    Your lens is probably an AI lens (I presume it has the AI coupling
    ridge) and is an auto-focus (AF) lens. It is probably the model
    released prior to the AF-D version. Since it is not a D or G lens, the
    only difference is that it will not do "3D metering." This affects
    only certain kinds of flash exposures and is no great loss. I use a
    non-D 70-210mm lens and it works fine.

    Guy

    Guy Scharf, Jun 7, 2004
  4. GTABuySell

    Lourens Smak Guest

    In article <NTRwc.4677$>,
    "GTABuySell" <> wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > please help me identify this lens.
    >
    > Marking on the lens is:
    > AF Nikkor
    > 35-105mm
    > 1:3.5-4.5

    There are 3 types of this lens, designated as AF, AF-n, and AF-D. The
    last two are push-pull zooms. the "n" has a separate macro-setting, the
    "D" version has no macro setting and focuses closer.

    Your lens (with zoom-ring) is the first type dating from the late 80s,
    so it will be around 15 years old. I own the last "D" version of the
    35-105 and it's a decent lens, but it's very different from the first
    version so I can't really comment on image quality.

    > This lens belongs to my father's Nikon F60 SLR camera. I need to make up my
    > mind whether to buy the Nikon D70 or the Canon Digital Rebel. I have
    > searched the web for specifications on this lens but failed to find enough
    > info to help me confirm that it is compatible with the D70. I read the
    > review on www.dpreview.com and understand that not all functions of the D70
    > are going to work on this old lens, but do you think I should buy the D70
    > kit (i.e. with the DX 18-70mm DX lens) anyway? Just wonder if anyone know
    > the approximate age of this type of lens.

    The lens should fit on the D70 without problems, but you will lose
    "3D-matrix" metering. It will have "matrix" metering. This will not make
    a difference in at least 99 of 100 shots.

    But, depending on what you like to photograph, the 18-70 may be nicer
    because it goes wider. with the 35-105, you'll have standard and short
    tele, but no wideangle. If you later want a wideangle, the 18-35 would
    match the 35-105 nicely, but this one is more expensive I think than the
    18-70.

    Lourens

    Lourens Smak, Jun 7, 2004
  5. Guy Scharf wrote:

    > If the lens has the AI coupling ridge (and it should), it can be
    > mounted on the D70. See http://support.nikontech.com/cgi-
    > bin/nikonusa.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=5366&&p_sid=2pcP7hdh&p
    > _lva=9592&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9ncmlkc29ydD0mcF9yb3dfY250PTYmcF9zZWFyY2hf
    > dGV4dD1haSByaW5nJnBfc2VhcmNoX3R5cGU9MyZwX3Byb2RfbHZsMT0xOSZwX3Byb2RfbHZ
    > sMj01NiZwX2NhdF9sdmwxPX5hbnl_JnBfcGFnZT0x&p_li= for a picture showing
    > the coupling ridge.

    Thanks for that!

    BTW, tinyurl is your friend: http://tinyurl.com/3fyow

    --
    Dominic Richens |
    "If you're not *outraged*, you're not paying attention!"

    Dominic Richens, Jun 7, 2004
  6. GTABuySell

    GTABuySell Guest

    Thank you all for the info. I am looking for a good deal on a new D70 body
    :)

    GTABuySell, Jun 7, 2004