    be possible to set up a wireless network? There, i tried my hardest! i will
    be very grateful of any help or explaining, i didn't think it would be this
    hard! Thankyou..
    Sezzastar, Nov 10, 2006

  2. In theory this is easy to do. The biggest exception to this statement is
    AOL. Although AOL claims that AOL Silver (DSL) supports home networking,
    they also claim to support only certain routers, recommend that you give the
    router a screen name, and generally impose recommendations/requirements that
    apply to no other kind of Internet connection, etc. Start here:

    http://info.aol.co.uk/broadband/homeNetworking.adp?promo=228937&promoCode=22
    8937#modemList

    I recommend that you consult an AOL centric board, someone with recent
    experience setting this up in your area, or as a last resort - AOL tech
    support.

    Doug Sherman
    MCSE, MCSA, MCP+I, MVP

    "Sezzastar" <u28938@uwe> wrote in message news:6915644358fd1@uwe...
    > Well i'm no computer genius and researching my problem seems to always
    > confuse me more!
    > I have just bought a second hand laptop (a dell inspiron 1000), my parents
    > already have a desktop computer at home, i was intending to go wireless so

    > could use the laptop in my room. the problem is .. well let me try my

    hardest
    > to explain...
    >
    > we are currently on aol silver broadband and i noticed the modem box we

    have
    > only has 2 wires coming out the back - usb and dsl (apparantly we are on
    > cable dsl but we run our internet through the phoneline), i know you have

    > get a PCMCIA card that slots into the laptop, and also a wireless modem
    > router and also a wireless usb adaptor which i take it plugs into the usb
    > socket on the back of the modem box?
    >
    > will this work on our modem box or will we have to get an upgrade? ive
    > noticed other peoples boxes have more wires coming out that ours, will

    this

    Doug Sherman [MVP], Nov 10, 2006

  3. Thanks so much for your reply, I just looked and seen that aol does not
    support home networking on cable, i take it as in that is the connection we
    have- cable dsl. So how do i fix this problem?

    Sezzastar via WindowsKB.com, Nov 10, 2006
  4. Sezzastar

    Lem Guest

    Sezzastar via WindowsKB.com wrote:
    > Thanks so much for your reply, I just looked and seen that aol does not
    > support home networking on cable, i take it as in that is the connection we
    > have- cable dsl. So how do i fix this problem?
    >>> Well i'm no computer genius and researching my problem seems to always
    >>> confuse me more!

    >> [quoted text clipped - 15 lines]
    >>> be very grateful of any help or explaining, i didn't think it would be this
    >>> hard! Thankyou..

    As the words are usually used, "cable" Internet service is not the same
    as "DSL" Internet service. Cable Internet service comes on the same
    type of coaxial cable that your cable TV comes on. DSL Internet service
    comes on a regular telephone wire. If the connector going into your
    modem looks like this, you have DSL:
    http://cableorganizer.com/images/networking/RJ45-plug.jpg
    If it looks more like this, you have cable:
    http://www.cablestogo.com/assets/product_images/product_list_images/40362.jpg

    AOL is notorious for doing things in a non-standard way. You probably
    will not find much help here with AOL-related problems, because I doubt
    that many of the people who regularly visit here use AOL.

    To directly answer your question, if AOL does not support home
    networking on the type of service you have, you should switch from AOL
    to another provider. You'll be glad you did.

    --
    Lem MS MVP -- Networking

    Lem, Nov 10, 2006
  5. Sezzastar

    David Hettel Guest

    See Below;

    --
    David Hettel

    E-mail or news groups.

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

    no rights.

    "Sezzastar" <u28938@uwe> wrote in message news:6915644358fd1@uwe...
    > Well i'm no computer genius and researching my problem seems to always
    > confuse me more!
    > I have just bought a second hand laptop (a dell inspiron 1000), my parents
    > already have a desktop computer at home, i was intending to go wireless so
    > could use the laptop in my room. the problem is .. well let me try my
    > hardest
    > to explain...
    >
    > we are currently on aol silver broadband and i noticed the modem box we
    > have
    > only has 2 wires coming out the back - usb and dsl (apparantly we are on
    > cable dsl but we run our internet through the phoneline), i know you have
    > get a PCMCIA card that slots into the laptop, and also a wireless modem
    > router and also a wireless usb adaptor which i take it plugs into the usb
    > socket on the back of the modem box?

    *****
    OK If you modem connects to the same kind on wire as your TV you have a
    cable modem, if it connects to the same kind of line as your phone, you do
    not have a cable modem, but a DSL modem, the two terms are not
    interchangable. Also if you only have two connections on your modem, a USB
    connection and a phone line connection, then you'll not be able to connect a
    wireless router to your cable box.

    To work with a wireless router you'll need a RJ-45 connection, that looks
    like a biger than normal phone connection. Without this type of connection
    your life will be made much harder.

    > will this work on our modem box or will we have to get an upgrade? ive
    > noticed other peoples boxes have more wires coming out that ours, will
    > this
    > be possible to set up a wireless network? There, i tried my hardest! i
    > will
    > be very grateful of any help or explaining, i didn't think it would be
    > this
    > hard! Thankyou..

    My experience is AOL blocks ICS type connections, so you can't simply add a
    usb wireless connection to your main computer and connect to it.

    Hope that helps.
    David Hettel, Nov 11, 2006
  6. Hi

    I agree with the advice given to you in the above posts by my fellows MVPs.

    However, in case you cannot switch a provider try this.

    AOL on this page claims that their system supports Netgear DG834G - 4 port
    54Mbps Wireless ADSL Modem Router
    (http://info.aol.co.uk/broadband/homeNetworking.adp?promo=228937&promoCode=22#modemList
    )

    This Modem/Router Wireless is a consumer available device, and it is sold on
    the free market for about $45.

    http://www.overstock.com/cgi-bin/d2...J3D1JwQ-Txxb48Ua4uTv1XmocbTHkA&cid=60488&fp=F

    Call AOL and make sure that they would support you if you buy this device.

    Such a Router with a Wireless card in your Laptop, and a Wire the desktop,
    should provide you with a Wire/Wireless network.

    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    P.S.If you buy this device it should replace your current Modem Unit.

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Nov 11, 2006