    5) Could changing ISP alter my connection speed.

    cheers,
    nn
    NickNike, Mar 29, 2007

  2. NickNike

    why? Guest

    On Thu, 29 Mar 2007 18:53:48 +0100, NickNike wrote:

    >Hi all,
    >
    >I want to bin Plusnet, after a couple of years.
    >I think I'll give IDnet a try.
    >
    >What's the procedure and how long would it take? Do I;

    Ask plusnet, maybe a FAQ
    http://portal.plus.net/wizard/index.html?helpheader=helpassistant#
    or
    http://www.plus.net/support/?helpheader=helppages

    Not forgetting the many ISP user forum's

    >1) Contact Plusnet and get my MAC number.

    And the good old standby if you can't think of anything
    www.google.com
    Web Results 1 - 10 of about 48,500 for

    moving from plusnet mac number

    .. (0.13 seconds)

    The 1st post is the plusnet procedure, how hard do you want to make
    this?

    Did you even bother trying the ISPs?

    They have a page dedicated to it,

    Request a MAC Key FAQ
    MAC key, letting you move your broadband service to or from PlusNet.
    www.plus.net/support/customer_service/using/request_mac_key.shtml -

    Then this
    PlusNet - Account Administration FAQ - Help & Support
    If you do want to move you'll need a code known as a MAC Key (also known
    as a MAC Code or MAC Number). Read our Request A MAC Key FAQ which
    explains how you ...
    www.plus.net/support/customer_service/account_admin_faq.shtml - 25k -

    From www.google.com 1st hit
    http://www.idnet.net/broadband/?gclid=CNvQoLbKmosCFT4GQgodMkJrDQ
    Free Migration

    Many ISP's oversubscribe their networks and under-staff their Technical
    Services. If you have found yourself connected to an ISP that does not
    meet your needs we can move your service to IDNet free of charge and
    without suffering downtime.

    >When would be a good time to do this as I pay them monthly?

    In plenty of time so you can cancel before the next billing date.

    >2) Contact IDnet and give them the MAC number

    http://www.idnet.net/broadband/?gclid=CNvQoLbKmosCFT4GQgodMkJrDQ

    >3) How long will I lose my internet connection for?

    Ask plusnet and idnet.

    >4) Is it possible to keep my exact same email address?

    Depends you didn't say what it was.

    If you think about it this way

    ess

    ess

    >5) Could changing ISP alter my connection speed.

    What do you think?

    Depends on the package you select.

    >cheers,
    >nn

    Me
    why?, Mar 29, 2007

  3. NickNike

    why? Guest

    On Thu, 29 Mar 2007 18:53:48 +0100, NickNike wrote:

    >Hi all,
    >
    >I want to bin Plusnet, after a couple of years.
    >I think I'll give IDnet a try.
    >
    >What's the procedure and how long would it take? Do I;
    >
    >2) Contact IDnet and give them the MAC number
    >3) How long will I lose my internet connection for?

    Back to the IDnet link, further down the page

    *New activations take 5 working days. Migrations are free & take 3
    working days with no downtime (LLU migrations take 6 working days and
    may have up to 4 hours downtime). There are no cancellation fees for
    migrations away. Upgrades are free of charge, downgrades are charged at
    £15 (inc VAT). Upgrades/Downgrades usually take 24 hrs but please allow
    up to 5 working days.

    Me
    why?, Mar 29, 2007
  4. NickNike

    Aardvark Guest

    On Thu, 29 Mar 2007 11:08:57 -0800, Evan Platt wrote:

    > No idea what a MAC number is. I've heard that's some UK stuff.

    The OP meant a MAC address Evan. And it certainly ain't just UK stuff. Any
    piece of networked hardware has a MAC address.

    Here it is:-
    http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=e... Address&sa=X&oi=glossary_definition&ct=title

    --
    Registered Linux User 413057.
    Both Mandriva 2007 and Ubuntu 6.06
    Aardvark, Mar 29, 2007
  5. NickNike

    SJP Guest

    "Aardvark" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 29 Mar 2007 11:08:57 -0800, Evan Platt wrote:
    >

    >> No idea what a MAC number is. I've heard that's some UK stuff.
    >>

    > The OP meant a MAC address Evan. And it certainly ain't just UK stuff. Any
    > piece of networked hardware has a MAC address.

    No he didn't he meant a MAC number.
    In the UK its a Migrations Authorisation Code which allows you to move
    between ISP's with the minimum of downtime/hassle
    SJP, Mar 29, 2007
  6. NickNike

    Aardvark Guest

    On Thu, 29 Mar 2007 19:38:13 +0100, SJP wrote:

    > "Aardvark" <> wrote in message
    >> On Thu, 29 Mar 2007 11:08:57 -0800, Evan Platt wrote:
    >>

    >>> No idea what a MAC number is. I've heard that's some UK stuff.
    >>>

    >> The OP meant a MAC address Evan. And it certainly ain't just UK stuff. Any
    >> piece of networked hardware has a MAC address.
    >>

    > No he didn't he meant a MAC number.
    > In the UK its a Migrations Authorisation Code which allows you to move
    > between ISP's with the minimum of downtime/hassle

    D'oh!

    Aardvark, Mar 29, 2007
  7. NickNike

    Aardvark Guest

    On Thu, 29 Mar 2007 11:29:31 -0800, Evan Platt wrote:

    > On Thu, 29 Mar 2007 18:24:16 GMT, Aardvark <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>The OP meant a MAC address Evan. And it certainly ain't just UK stuff. Any
    >>piece of networked hardware has a MAC address.

    > Thanks. I've been in the ISP business for about 10 years. Never had
    > any idea about MAC addresses. </SARCASM>
    >
    > From what I understood on a different thread in a different group, a
    > "MAC Number" was something completely different. more like a phone
    > number or something. Had no idea it was simply a MAC address the way
    > it was discussed in the other froup.

    Seems I was somewhat incorrect Evan. MAC number and MAC address are two
    different animals.

    I know that my connection to my ISP depends on the MAC address of my
    broadband modem. I have another one knocking around in a drawer somewhere.
    If I disconnected the one I'm using now and replaced it with the old one
    my connection wouldn't work as my connection depends on the MAC address of
    my modem.

    I just thought (duh!) that if you were changing ISP's you just tell the
    new ISP the MAC address of your connection hardware. Now I know better.

    Ever feel reallllllllly stoopid?

    Aardvark, Mar 29, 2007
  8. NickNike

    Evan Platt Guest

    wrote:

    >Hi all,
    >
    >I want to bin Plusnet, after a couple of years.
    >I think I'll give IDnet a try.
    >
    >What's the procedure and how long would it take? Do I;
    >
    >1) Contact Plusnet and get my MAC number.
    >When would be a good time to do this as I pay them monthly?

    That would be a good question for them.

    No idea what a MAC number is. I've heard that's some UK stuff.

    >2) Contact IDnet and give them the MAC number
    >3) How long will I lose my internet connection for?
    >4) Is it possible to keep my exact same email address?

    Your e-mail address of ? Sure.

    Some other e-mail address? Like a plusnet e-mail address? Yes. You'd
    lose it. Unless you pay them. You think they'd let you keep it for
    free?

    >5) Could changing ISP alter my connection speed.

    Likely not.
    Evan Platt, Mar 29, 2007
  9. NickNike

    Evan Platt Guest

    wrote:

    >The OP meant a MAC address Evan. And it certainly ain't just UK stuff. Any
    >piece of networked hardware has a MAC address.

    Thanks. I've been in the ISP business for about 10 years. Never had
    any idea about MAC addresses. </SARCASM>

    From what I understood on a different thread in a different group, a
    Evan Platt, Mar 29, 2007
  10. "NickNike" <> wrote in message
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I want to bin Plusnet, after a couple of years.
    > I think I'll give IDnet a try.
    >
    > What's the procedure and how long would it take? Do I;
    >
    > 1) Contact Plusnet and get my MAC number.
    > When would be a good time to do this as I pay them monthly?
    > 2) Contact IDnet and give them the MAC number
    > 3) How long will I lose my internet connection for?
    > 4) Is it possible to keep my exact same email address?
    > 5) Could changing ISP alter my connection speed.
    >
    > cheers,
    > nn

    Hi,

    Just to add, our full cancellation policy is published on the portal here:

    http://www.plus.net/support/service/policies/cancellation.shtml

    If you migrate across to another ISP using a MAC code then the downtime is
    usually minimal at about 30 minutes at most. As for email address, if it's a
    PlusNet address then your account would remain open as a free PAYG account
    so as long as you used it.

    Regarding the speed, that would depend on the new ISP and what they offer.

    If there's anything we can help with please do feel free to get in touch.

    PlusNet Support Team, Mar 29, 2007
  11. "Aardvark" <> wrote in message

    > Ever feel reallllllllly stoopid?

    Yes.

    And it's a good learning tool.

    People learn right to the core when something affects them on a deep
    emotional level, but far less so when they can just blow off the lesson.

    It's only when you don't learn from experience that you become your
    mistake.
    --
    Rhonda Lea Kirk

    If you ever need some proof that time can heal your wounds,
    just step inside my heart and walk around these rooms;
    where the shadows used to be.... Mary Chapin Carpenter
    Rhonda Lea Kirk, Mar 30, 2007
  12. NickNike

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Thu, 29 Mar 2007 18:51:37 GMT, Aardvark <>
    wrote:

    >Ever feel reallllllllly stoopid?

    No.

    :)