Please help cannot set homepage

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by toro, Jul 17, 2003.

  1. toro

    toro Guest

    richmac wrote:

    > My IE browser has probably been hijacked.
    > I've cleaned with Spybot and Ad Aware, the latter reported possible hijack
    > events.
    >
    > Now my browser has lost most of its settings, and I cannot set my
    > homepage, which is replaced with something like http:////
    >
    > When I go to Control Panel internet settings, I find all 3 options for
    > setting home page greyed out.
    >
    > Please advice on what I can do to restore.
    >
    > Rich

    Go to http://www.spywareinfo.com/downloads/bhod/

    You will find a great little program there called BHODemon (BHO - Browser
    Helper Object). It is a small (~80 kbytes) executable file which will show
    you all helping or malicious objects installed in your browser and will
    also give you the option of disabling them. You don't have to install
    anything, just D/L and run. If you are not sure about something, click on
    "details" and it will help you decide if it is supposed to be there or not.

    HTH :)

    \___fwtis AT cha /__ / ACK and thou_______/
    \______DOT forthnet / / shall receive_____/
    \____DOT gr /_/ RLU#306453______/

    richmac, Jul 17, 2003

  3. toro

    richmac Guest

    Thank you so much. I've posted to the forum and am waiting for replies.

    Rich

    "Robin T Cox" <> ¦b¶l¥ó
    news:1rvRa.11105$ ¤¤¼¶¼g...

    richmac, Jul 17, 2003
  4. toro

    richmac Guest

    "toro" <> ??? news:
    ???...
    > richmac wrote:
    >
    > > My IE browser has probably been hijacked.
    > > I've cleaned with Spybot and Ad Aware, the latter reported possible

    hijack
    > > events.
    > >
    > > Now my browser has lost most of its settings, and I cannot set my
    > > homepage, which is replaced with something like http:////
    > >
    > > When I go to Control Panel internet settings, I find all 3 options for
    > > setting home page greyed out.
    > >
    > > Please advice on what I can do to restore.
    > >
    > > Rich

    > Go to http://www.spywareinfo.com/downloads/bhod/
    >
    > You will find a great little program there called BHODemon (BHO - Browser
    > Helper Object). It is a small (~80 kbytes) executable file which will show
    > you all helping or malicious objects installed in your browser and will
    > also give you the option of disabling them. You don't have to install
    > anything, just D/L and run. If you are not sure about something, click on
    > "details" and it will help you decide if it is supposed to be there or

    not.

    > HTH :)

    Thank you, have downloaded and will run it after closing newsgroups.

    Rich.

    richmac, Jul 17, 2003
  5. toro

    richmac Guest

    "Robin T Cox" <> ¦b¶l¥ó
    news:1rvRa.11105$ ¤¤¼¶¼g...
    > "richmac" <> wrote in
    >
    > > My IE browser has probably been hijacked.
    > > I've cleaned with Spybot and Ad Aware, the latter reported possible
    > > hijack events.
    > >
    > > Now my browser has lost most of its settings, and I cannot set my
    > > homepage, which is replaced with something like http:////
    > >
    > > When I go to Control Panel internet settings, I find all 3 options for
    > > setting home page greyed out.
    > >
    > > Please advice on what I can do to restore.
    > >
    > > Rich
    > >

    > Download 'Hijack This!'. http://www.tomcoyote.org/hjt/
    > Unzip, doubleclick HijackThis.exe, and hit "Scan".
    >
    > When the scan is finished, the "Scan" button will change into a "Save Log"
    > button.
    > Press that, save the log, load it in Notepad, and copy its contents. Most
    > of what it lists will be harmless or even essential, don't fix anything
    > yet.
    >
    > Then go to http://www.spywareinfo.com/forums/
    > where you'll get expert help.
    >
    > Just Sign in, or post as a guest,and go to the Spyware and
    > Hijackware Removal section. Press "new topic", explain your problem, and
    > copy and paste the contents of the Hijack This log into your new message.

    Your instructions were perfect. I got expert advice and got rid of the
    nasties. Big thanks.

    Rich

    richmac, Jul 17, 2003