PLEASE HELP! Cannot Logon, need to get to Restore Point (XP Pro)

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Ted Kerin, Jul 16, 2004.

  1. Ted Kerin

    Ted Kerin Guest

    I somehow changed the logon information so that I cannot log on. (I was
    trying to set an office laptop to be able to log into my home workgroup, and
    now neither the work nor the home login info will work.)

    I first created a System Restore Point, thinking that if I messed things up
    (which I did!), I'd be able to get back to where things were. The machine
    has WinXP Pro, and was originally set up at my wife's office (by a guy who
    won't be available for days).

    What I failed to consider is that, having unsuccessfully tried to make
    changes to the username, and from Domain to Workgroup logon, etc, I now
    cannot get past "Ctrl Alt Del to Logon" -- so, I am unable even to get to
    the Win XP System Restore program!!

    I'd be thrilled just to get back to the Restore Point I created before I
    began messing with the logon. Can I somehow get to it during startup?

    Please, any help would be GREATLY appreciated!
    Ted Kerin, Jul 16, 2004

  2. Ted Kerin

    Duane Arnold Guest

    "Ted Kerin" <> wrote in

    > I somehow changed the logon information so that I cannot log on. (I
    > was trying to set an office laptop to be able to log into my home
    > workgroup, and now neither the work nor the home login info will
    > work.)
    >
    > I first created a System Restore Point, thinking that if I messed
    > things up (which I did!), I'd be able to get back to where things
    > were. The machine has WinXP Pro, and was originally set up at my
    > wife's office (by a guy who won't be available for days).
    >
    > What I failed to consider is that, having unsuccessfully tried to make
    > changes to the username, and from Domain to Workgroup logon, etc, I
    > now cannot get past "Ctrl Alt Del to Logon" -- so, I am unable even to
    > get to the Win XP System Restore program!!
    >
    > I'd be thrilled just to get back to the Restore Point I created before
    > I began messing with the logon. Can I somehow get to it during
    > startup?

    I don't think so. It looks like you'll have to wait for the person to
    return to get the psw. Or you could reinstall the O/S by booting off of
    the install CD to wipe the machine out, if you're pressed.

    Duane :)
    Duane Arnold, Jul 16, 2004

  3. Ted Kerin

    Ted Kerin Guest

    "Duane Arnold" <> wrote in message > >
    > > I'd be thrilled just to get back to the Restore Point I created before
    > > I began messing with the logon. Can I somehow get to it during
    > > startup?

    > I don't think so. It looks like you'll have to wait for the person to
    > return to get the psw.

    Thanks for responding, Duane.

    I do know what the username and password were, before I began messing with
    it. (Not the Administrator's own password, but the p/w that worked before I
    made the changes). Does that help?
    Ted Kerin, Jul 16, 2004
  4. Ted Kerin

    Unk Guest

    On Fri, 16 Jul 2004 00:49:55 GMT, "Ted Kerin" <> wrote:

    >I somehow changed the logon information so that I cannot log on. (I was
    >trying to set an office laptop to be able to log into my home workgroup, and
    >now neither the work nor the home login info will work.)
    >
    >I first created a System Restore Point, thinking that if I messed things up
    >(which I did!), I'd be able to get back to where things were. The machine
    >has WinXP Pro, and was originally set up at my wife's office (by a guy who
    >won't be available for days).
    >
    >What I failed to consider is that, having unsuccessfully tried to make
    >changes to the username, and from Domain to Workgroup logon, etc, I now
    >cannot get past "Ctrl Alt Del to Logon" -- so, I am unable even to get to
    >the Win XP System Restore program!!
    >
    >I'd be thrilled just to get back to the Restore Point I created before I
    >began messing with the logon. Can I somehow get to it during startup?
    >
    >Please, any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

    One possibility...

    Boot up to the safe mode. Press F8 right after the BIOS post (listen for
    the beep). Follow the prompts until you get the logon screen. If you
    didn't damage things too badly, you should see the account you were playing
    with and the "Administrator" account. Pick the Administrator, and just
    press enter for the password (there was none by default during the install).

    Once in, goto the Control Panel, Accounts, and set your account back the
    way it was.
    Unk, Jul 16, 2004
  5. Ted Kerin

    Duane Arnold Guest

    "Ted Kerin" <> wrote in

    > "Duane Arnold" <> wrote in message > >
    >> > I'd be thrilled just to get back to the Restore Point I created
    >> > before I began messing with the logon. Can I somehow get to it
    >> > during startup?

    >> I don't think so. It looks like you'll have to wait for the person to
    >> return to get the psw.

    > Thanks for responding, Duane.
    >
    > I do know what the username and password were, before I began messing
    > with it. (Not the Administrator's own password, but the p/w that
    > worked before I made the changes). Does that help?

    So, what are you saying here? Are you saying that the machine is in some
    kind of lockout state and you have used the alt/ctrl/delete key sequence
    to try and login on the machine?

    Duane :)
    Duane Arnold, Jul 16, 2004
  6. Ted Kerin

    Ray Guest

    I think you are going to have to wait until the guy comes back. From what
    you are saying, if your wife's computer was on a domain and you switched it
    to a workgroup, her username and password is not going to be working
    anymore, because the username and password is for that particular domain,
    not workgroup. The computer's gonna have to go back to her IT guy back in
    the office and login as the administrator and then have the computer rejoin
    the domain. Once that's done then your wifes username and password should
    work again.

    Ray

    Ray, Jul 16, 2004
  7. Ted Kerin

    Ted Kerin Guest

    Thanks Duane, Unk, and Ray, for your words of wisdom.

    I'm gonna wait for the admin to come back from vacation. At this point it
    looks like, in addition to the other problems, I'm locked out for making too
    many unsuccessful attempts.

    Thanks again.
    Ted Kerin, Jul 16, 2004
  8. Ted Kerin

    wlievens

    Joined:
    Jul 27, 2012
    Messages:
    1
    Also need help with login to WinXP

    :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:
    I am having similiar issue. :eek: Previously computer was set to use domain and my login/password worked for that. I was trying to find a local computer/printer on network :dontknow: and when I looked for a new workgroup to join, :stupid: it (and to be correct "I":withstup:) inadvertantly changed the computer to only work locally and not via the domain. Now my login does not work. The computer was still logged in yesterday, but then it restarted 2/2 windows update and now I am stuck and cannot login. :guru: Other than contacting IT :security: (which is a pain as I am in a remote location from them) any other recs on getting in:question: I have only known loging/passwords related to the domain and not the local ones for the machine only. :stupido3: Thanks! :hello: :adore::wave:
    wlievens, Jul 27, 2012