    this just be a case of more thermal grease required? I just used the pad
    that was on the heatsink. What harm will a shutdown like this do to HD
    during a format and how can I get it back?

    Gorbag, Jan 19, 2004

  2. Gorbag

    Harrison Guest

    Did you use your old case and power supply?
    If so, the system could be underpowered.

    What kind of temps do you get in the BIOS? I'm not familiar with that
    board, but if it handles a P4 and has thermal protection, then it must
    have thermal reporting in the BIOS.

    To rule out thermal shutdown, simply start it up with a floppy and let
    it sit. If it shuts down again, then the problem may very well be
    thermal.

    Harrison, Jan 19, 2004

  3. Gorbag

    Gorbag Guest

    No it`s a brand new Antec 480w PSU.

    And yes it shutsdown just sitting on the floppy. Thermal. What concerns me
    more is what`s happened to the HD. It`s half formatted and unreadable....

    Gorbag, Jan 19, 2004
  4. Gorbag

    Harrison Guest

    Deal with the thermal issue first.
    Then fdisk the drive and delete the existing partition(s), recreate,
    and setup Windows again.
    There's a low likelihood that the abrupt shutdown did lasting physical
    damage, but it is possible. You remember how it used to be when you'd
    drag the needle across a spinning record? That's a very close analogy
    to what happened inside the drive. The actuator returned to its
    default position.

    Harrison, Jan 19, 2004