    users will simply keep bypassing it? That a security model where "having
    administrator rights" is NOT the same thing as "running as administrator"
    is just too complicated for humans to understand?

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 10, 2008

  2. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Gordon Guest

    On 2008-10-10, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <_zealand> wrote:
    > The good news is, Microsoft recognizes that UAC is one of the most-hated
    > features of Dimdows Vista.
    >
    > The bad news is, they're going to "improve" it in Dimdows 7 by
    ><http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=1627>:
    >
    > ... [providing] options such that when you use the system as an
    > administrator you can determine the range of notifications that you
    > receive. 2) Provide additional and more relevant information in the user
    > interface.
    >
    > In other words, they're going to add even _more_ configuration settings for
    > users to stuff up, and make the warning dialogs even _more_ long-winded, so
    > there'll be more stuff for users to ignore.
    >
    > When will they realize, a security system needs to be _simple_, otherwise
    > users will simply keep bypassing it? That a security model where "having
    > administrator rights" is NOT the same thing as "running as administrator"
    > is just too complicated for humans to understand?

    Really, Lawrence, you are being some what tounge in cheek here.

    History has brought us to this situation. A similar case is of one speaking
    only one language because everyone spoke it as you were growing up. People
    can understand how to speak two languages.

    Do not despair, slowly but surely Ms Windows is doing what Ms Penguin has
    done for sometime

    Gordon, Oct 11, 2008

  3. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Tony in Oz Guest

    "Gordon" <> wrote in message > Really, Lawrence, you are
    being some what tounge in cheek here.

    Whats a "tounge"? And how come so many people have trouble spelling
    the word "Tongue"? I see it all the time.

    Tony in Oz, Oct 11, 2008
  4. In message <48f0719d$>, Puddle wrote:

    > Spelling isn't really rated in the IT world.

    Which is odd, considering how anal practically all programming languages and
    data syntaxes are about typos.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 11, 2008
  5. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    EMB Guest

    Puddle wrote:
    > Spelling isn't really rated in the IT world.

    Nor, judging by my new cow-orker, is intelligence or ability.

    EMB, Oct 11, 2008
  6. Hi there,

    Gib Bogle wrote:
    > EMB wrote:
    >> Puddle wrote:
    >>> Spelling isn't really rated in the IT world.

    >> Nor, judging by my new cow-orker, is intelligence or ability.

    > Orking cows does demand certain skills, though.

    I'm not sure it would require 'skills', although I could
    suggest the following would be useful...

    - A small step-ladder.
    - A complete lack of fear.
    - A sick perverted mind.
    - The ability to run *really* fast, in case the cow disagrees
    with being 'orked'...

    :)

    Kind regards,

    Chris Wilkinson, Edinburgh.

    Chris Wilkinson, Oct 11, 2008
  7. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Gib Bogle Guest

    Gib Bogle, Oct 11, 2008
  8. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Gib Bogle Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > In message <48f0719d$>, Puddle wrote:
    >
    >> Spelling isn't really rated in the IT world.

    > Which is odd, considering how anal practically all programming languages and
    > data syntaxes are about typos.

    Yeah, but the interpreter/compiler catches them for you. The vocabulary
    of any programming language is very limited, too.

    Gib Bogle, Oct 11, 2008
  9. In article <48f0719d$>, Puddle <> wrote:
    >Tony in Oz wrote:
    >> "Gordon" <> wrote in message > Really, Lawrence, you are
    >> being some what tounge in cheek here.
    >> Whats a "tounge"? And how come so many people have trouble spelling
    >> the word "Tongue"? I see it all the time.

    >Spelling isn't really rated in the IT world.

    ... and why wouldn't we spell it "tung" anyway ? :)

    Bruce Sinclair, Oct 13, 2008
  10. In message <gcu1e9$8hs$>, Bruce Sinclair wrote:

    > In article <48f0719d$>, Puddle <>
    > wrote:
    >>Tony in Oz wrote:
    >>> "Gordon" <> wrote in message > Really, Lawrence, you
    >>> are being some what tounge in cheek here.
    >>> Whats a "tounge"? And how come so many people have trouble
    >>> spelling
    >>> the word "Tongue"? I see it all the time.

    >>Spelling isn't really rated in the IT world.

    > .. and why wouldn't we spell it "tung" anyway ? :)

    Because some pronounce it "thung" or "t'hung".

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 13, 2008
  11. In article <>, (Don Hills) wrote:
    >In article <2tod.net>,
    >Mark Robinson <2tod.net> wrote:
    >>
    >>Unless you are so far into the IT world that you actually write code.

    >"Make it possible for programmers to write in English and you will find out
    >that programmers cannot write in English."
    > - Off a wall chart of such sayings, copyright 1980.

    Very likely, given writers of English can't, don't or won't. Supporting
    data available everywhere things are written down. :)

    Bruce Sinclair, Oct 14, 2008