Please give us back the option of turning on/off driver signature

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Disenchanted!, Jan 9, 2008.

  1. Please give us the option of turning on/off driver signature enforcement.
    What good does it do for Microsoft to take this feature away? I'm tired of
    having to weed through patches to find the one that takes away this ability
    each month. When someone pays $400+ for an applicaiton, they should have a
    little say in how they want (or actually NEED) it to run.

    I would love Vista, but it runs too much like Beta Software! A hack here, a
    crash there, drivers that are perfectly fine won't load because they aren't
    signed.

    This kind of reminds me of early 90s where Microsoft was locked in multiple
    anti-trust law suits. You have created a situation where only drivers that
    Microsoft approves of will run. It should be a situation of drivers that I
    approve of running or not.

    ----------------
    click "I Agree" in the message pane.

    http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/co...011&dg=microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general

    Disenchanted!, Jan 9, 2008

  2. Just use VistaBootPro. It has a simple checkbox to permanently disable
    driver signing.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jan 9, 2008

  3. In addition, let's be clear. Driver signing has nothing to do with "drivers
    Microsoft approves of". It is only about drivers that the OS (and you) can
    verify came from who it says they come from.

    Personally, I think driver signing should be enforced at all times, and on
    all versions. Period.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jan 9, 2008
  4. Disenchanted!

    Carlos Guest

    Re: Please give us back the option of turning on/off driver signat

    Colin,
    I believe that none of the known tricks (except for the F8 one during boot)
    for disabling driver signature signing is working now.
    VistaBootPro and EasyBCD have options that are useless if you have applied
    one of the (regular) Vista updates that took place a couple of months back.
    Those tricks consisted in a BCDEdit switch that enabled a "test mode"
    permanently and the other one was something about disabling integrity check
    (or something like that).
    There was another trick by Linchpin Labs using a program called "atsiv"
    (vista in reverse order) which I don't know if it still works.
    Linchpin Labs web site is "alive" just in case anyone wants to take a look.
    The only software that I was using then that became useless on account of it
    was RivaTuner.
    By using the Linchpin Labs trick I extended the life of that old version of
    RivaTuner.
    There is now v2.06 that has signed drivers and works perfectly with no need
    of "tricks".

    Carlos

    Carlos, Jan 9, 2008
  5. Re: Please give us back the option of turning on/off driver signat

    Fine, then give me an option:

    Either this driver is signed or has no verifiable root CA. This driver may
    be installed and signed by using a local signature that this machine will
    generate. Only do this if you know and trust the software vendor.

    And yes, becasuse signing drivers requires its signed by a CA that Microsoft
    approves of, all drivers that are signed and validated by the CA are
    essentially approved of by Microsoft. After all, do they not have to pass
    WHQL testing or something similar?

    Disenchanted!, Jan 9, 2008
  6. Re: Please give us back the option of turning on/off driver signat

    signed drivers does not mean WHQL. Though WHQL does mean signed.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jan 10, 2008
  7. Disenchanted!

    Carlos Guest

    Re: Please give us back the option of turning on/off driver signat

    In a nutshell...
    Signed = driver comes from reliable/trusted source
    WHQL = MSFT ensures it has been tested and is BSOD free, well... sort of.
    :)
    Carlos

    Carlos, Jan 10, 2008
  8. Re: Please give us back the option of turning on/off driver signat

    Correct. Especially the "well sort of".

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64