Please give me some handholding on booklet printing

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Word Worrier, Jul 24, 2004.

  1. Word Worrier

    Word Worrier Guest

    Using the suggestions at http://www.word.mvps.org/content2.htm I can
    get a pretty nice-looking booklet, printed on landscape 8.5 x 11 inch
    paper, which is then folded in half to make a 8.5 by 5.5 inch booklet.

    But boy, getting it to print was just a nasty pain in the neck. The
    method I used, the one that starts with the words "If you don't want
    to spend money on an add-in, or use VBA," requires a so-far
    nonintuitive (to me anyway) calculation about which pages get printed
    on which sheets of paper. Then, because I had to load the paper into
    the printer four times for one book, I kept messing up when two sheets
    of paper would stick to each other going through the printer, messing
    up all the subsequent sheets of paper.

    I am guessing that those macros referenced on that page simplify
    things a bit by dumping the pages to the printer in the right order.
    But I know nothing about macros; could someone guide me?

    Or is there a way of creating an intermediate step between having my
    Word document be editable and printing it? Basically, I'd like a way
    that (using an eight page book as an example) would create a Word or
    pdf file with the pages ordered thusly:

    8 and 1 on the left/right sides of the same sheet, then 6 and 3; then
    4 and 5, and 2 and 7. (Two sheets of paper would be printed, then
    flipped over and reinserted into the printer for printing on the
    reverse side).

    Appreciate all suggestions.

    Word Worrier, Jul 24, 2004

  2. Word Worrier

    Unk Guest

    http://www.pdfzone.com/resources/tips_techniques/897-PDFzone_tips.html

    Unk, Jul 24, 2004

  3. Word Worrier

    Bill Purvis Guest

    You need Fine Print from
    http://www.pdffactory.com/
    Regards
    Bill

    Bill Purvis, Jul 24, 2004
  4. For some general knowledge about macros, see these links:

    What do I do with macros sent to me by other newsgroup readers to help me
    out?
    I don't know how to install them and put them to use
    http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/MacrosVBA/CreateAMacro.htm

    Idiots Guide to Installing Macros

    Third-party utilities exist and make a profit because they make easy what is
    a hassle to do without them.
    DM

    Dayo Mitchell, Jul 24, 2004
  5. You don't say what version of Word you have, but I assume it is Word 2000
    since (a) if you had Word 2002 or 2003, you would be using "Book fold" and
    (b) if you had Word 97 or earlier, you would be unable to use the macros
    provided at the Web site. Dayo has given you links to two articles that will
    explain how to install a macro.

    As the author of the article you read, however, I will merely point out that
    the purpose of that method is to produce camera-ready copy to take to
    Kinko's or a commercial printer, not to produce finished booklets; that is,
    it is intended to print just one side of each sheet, and that part is pretty
    straightforward, with no calculation involved if you follow the directions
    exactly. If your printer doesn't handle paper well, then that is not a
    defect of the method itself.

    --
    Suzanne S. Barnhill
    Microsoft MVP (Word)

    Suzanne S. Barnhill, Jul 24, 2004
  6. Word Worrier

    SgtMinor Guest

    If you'll be printing more booklets, try ClickBook from Blue Squirrel:
    http://www.bluesquirrel.com/clickbook/

    SgtMinor, Jul 24, 2004
  7. Both FinePrint and ClickBook are mentioned (with links to their sites) in
    the article Word Worrier read. The methods suggested are for those who don't
    want to purchase third-party solutions.

    Suzanne S. Barnhill, Jul 25, 2004
  8. Word Worrier

    Graham Mayor Guest

    I have used both these third party applications which approach the task from
    different directions. Clickbook is the more powerful, but is expensive for
    what it does and bluesquirrel will drive you crazy with spam once you sign
    up for this software.

    --
    <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
    Graham Mayor - Word MVP

    My web site www.gmayor.com
    Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org
    <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>

    Graham Mayor, Jul 25, 2004
  9. Word Worrier

    SgtMinor Guest

    Graham Mayor wrote:

    > bluesquirrel will drive you crazy with spam once you sign
    > up for this software.

    Did you click on a box to OK their emails? Once you realized you didn't
    want them did you ask to be taken off their mailing list? I did and the
    emails stopped. That's not spam.

    SgtMinor, Jul 25, 2004
  10. Word Worrier

    Graham Mayor Guest

    Thinks must have improved then. There are no circumstances on earth that
    would induce me to tick a box that allowed a company to mail me junk. And of
    course I asked them to stop sending mail - repeatedly. Unsolicited junk mail
    is spam however you look at it. Now I have them in my spam filter so have no
    idea whether they are continuing to send out this stuff.

    --

    Graham Mayor, Jul 26, 2004