Please Don't Ignore -- Where can I find old analogue cable converters? What happened to United Artis

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Radium, Aug 25, 2007.

  1. Radium

    Radium Guest

    Hi:

    Please don't neglect this message. Please respond with reasonable
    answers.

    In April of '89, I rented a cable-converter-box from United Artist. It
    was obviously an analogue cable-converter as at that time, there were
    no digital equivalents. It had red LED display for the channels. I
    gave it back to United Artist Cable in August of '92.

    Where can I find this box or something similar? I have the book that
    came with the cable box but it doesn't give the model-# or anything I
    could use to ID it?

    Also, what happened to United Artist? I called up their phone number
    in August of '94, and their name was changed to "TCI Cable Vision".
    That phone number is no longer valid.

    This cable box had the option of connected to channel 2 or 3 in the
    television. This was weird because usually the option is channel 3 or
    4, as it was with the Nintendo Entertainment System I had at the time.

    Currently, what is the name of the cable company who used to be United
    Artist?

    No offense but please respond with reasonable answers & keep out the
    jokes, off-topic nonsense, taunts, insults, and trivializations. I am
    really interested in this.

    Thanks in advance,

    Radium
    Radium, Aug 25, 2007

  2. Radium

    pcbutts1 Guest

    www.Ebay.com do a search for cable box. Sounds like a Jerrold.

    pcbutts1, Aug 25, 2007

  3. Radium

    jayembee Guest

    Radium <> wrote:

    > Please don't neglect this message. Please respond with
    > reasonable answers.

    Did it occur to you that maybe no one answered because no one knew
    the answer?

    -- jayembee
    jayembee, Aug 25, 2007
  4. Radium

    nobody > Guest

    Re: Please Don't Ignore -- Where can I find old analogue cable converters?What happened to United Artist Cable?

    Radium wrote:
    > Hi:
    >
    > Please don't neglect this message. Please respond with reasonable
    > answers.

    First reasonable answer to everyone else;
    The OP is Radium. He's a k00k. Only he could come up with a need for an
    obsolete cable-tv converter. Only he could make a moral issue out of
    the fact that UA cable went bye-bye.

    Read the history
    http://groups.google.com/groups?q=R...ent-ff&ie=UTF-8&rls=GGGL,GGGL:2006-32,GGGL:en
    ( http://tinyurl.com/yp85uh )
    nobody >, Aug 25, 2007
  5. Radium

    Don Bowey Guest

    Re: Please Don't Ignore -- Where can I find old analogue cableconverters? What happened to United Artist Cable?

    On 8/24/07 5:36 PM, in article
    Xns9996D1AA0C95jayembeesnurcher@140.99.99.130, "jayembee"
    <> wrote:

    > Radium <> wrote:
    >
    >> Please don't neglect this message. Please respond with
    >> reasonable answers.

    > Did it occur to you that maybe no one answered because no one knew
    > the answer?
    >
    > -- jayembee

    Did it occur to you that people who know better try to avoid feeding the
    trolls?
    Don Bowey, Aug 25, 2007
  6. Radium

    Radium Guest

    On Aug 24, 5:54 pm, "nobody >" <> wrote:

    > Only he could come up with a need for an
    > obsolete cable-tv converter.

    I used to often play my Nintendo when it was connected to channel 3.
    However, I was change the TV channel to 4. I could see the video of
    the game but it was fuzzy and covered in grains. The music of the game
    was absent, and instead was filled with frightening-yet-enjoyable
    tones [sounding like a buzzer, lawn mower, or electric shaver] along
    with a faint audio of what was being discussed on the channel 4 news.
    I would get so scared, yet I would enjoy it.

    I could only get this effect when I had the cable box. Without the box
    it does not work. The cable box also seemed to filter out most of the
    random noise while keeping the heterodyne-like qualities of the audio-
    disruptions. The TV build also matters. I still have the TV I used.
    It's a Mitsubishi CS-2655R. What I like about this TV is that it is
    extremely sensitive to weak signals. Most TVs will simply not play any
    audio when receiving these weak signals. Most TVs have a cut-off that
    is way above that of my CS-2655R. I've got 4 TV in my house including
    the CS-2655R. One of the other TVs is also Mitsubishi but is much
    newer -- I bought it in May of 2000. This TV does not receive the weak
    magnetic disruptions, my CS-2655R is able to capture. I wonder why all
    the other TVs have a stricter limit to the softest sound they can
    receive.
    Radium, Aug 25, 2007
  7. Radium

    pcbutts1 Guest

    Re:KOOK ALERT---Google grouper

    I'm sorry I answered your question. Damn googlegrouper I keep forgetting to
    look.

    pcbutts1, Aug 25, 2007
  8. Radium

    Dan C Guest

    Re: Re:KOOK ALERT---Google grouper

    On Fri, 24 Aug 2007 18:21:06 -0700, pcbutts1 wrote:

    > I'm sorry I answered your question. Damn googlegrouper I keep forgetting to
    > look.

    If you were to use a real newsreader, you could filter the dipshits out.

    Dan C, Aug 25, 2007
  9. Radium

    Old Gringo Guest

    On Or About Fri, 24 Aug 2007 23:41:53 -0000, Without Any Hesitation
    Or Thinking Twice, Radium Stumbled Over To The Keyboard And wrote The
    Following In The
    24hoursupport.helpdesk,rec.arts.tv,sci.electronics.basics,rec.video.cable-tv,alt.cable-tv
    News Group:

    http://miami.craigslist.org/ele/402870619.html
    --
    Just West Of Nowhere
    Enjoy Life And Live It To Its Fullest
    Old Gringo, Aug 25, 2007
  10. Radium

    Radium wrote:
    > On Aug 24, 5:54 pm, "nobody >" <> wrote:
    >
    >> Only he could come up with a need for an
    >> obsolete cable-tv converter.

    > I used to often play my Nintendo when it was connected to channel 3.
    > However, I was change the TV channel to 4. I could see the video of
    > the game but it was fuzzy and covered in grains. The music of the game
    > was absent, and instead was filled with frightening-yet-enjoyable
    > tones [sounding like a buzzer, lawn mower, or electric shaver] along
    > with a faint audio of what was being discussed on the channel 4 news.
    > I would get so scared, yet I would enjoy it.
    >
    > I could only get this effect when I had the cable box. Without the box
    > it does not work. The cable box also seemed to filter out most of the
    > random noise while keeping the heterodyne-like qualities of the audio-
    > disruptions. The TV build also matters. I still have the TV I used.
    > It's a Mitsubishi CS-2655R. What I like about this TV is that it is
    > extremely sensitive to weak signals. Most TVs will simply not play any
    > audio when receiving these weak signals. Most TVs have a cut-off that
    > is way above that of my CS-2655R. I've got 4 TV in my house including
    > the CS-2655R. One of the other TVs is also Mitsubishi but is much
    > newer -- I bought it in May of 2000. This TV does not receive the weak
    > magnetic disruptions, my CS-2655R is able to capture. I wonder why all
    > the other TVs have a stricter limit to the softest sound they can
    > receive.

    YaddaYaddaYadda.

    You sound like the old man I had to deal with after a picture-tube
    replacement back in 1969. The old bastard refused to pay because there
    was no "brown halo around big things on the screen".

    Nobody but you can see or feel these things you expound upon. What's
    your next one? A particular showerhead that tingled your nuts "just so"?
    A type of bean that made your farts resonant at a certain frequency?
    nobody >, Aug 25, 2007
  11. Radium

    Default User Guest

    Dan C wrote:

    > On Fri, 24 Aug 2007 18:21:06 -0700, pcbutts1 wrote:
    >
    > > I'm sorry I answered your question. Damn googlegrouper I keep
    > > forgetting to look.

    > If you were to use a real newsreader, you could filter the dipshits
    > out.

    Well, in spite of Google shitting all over usenet, I won't take the
    extreme step of filter all their users. I will take this opportunity to
    filter some more cross-posted newsgroups. Nothing agin your locales,
    but they are ones I read, and this will help clean up mine.

    Brian

    won't shut up.
    Default User, Aug 25, 2007