    threads just makes them re-appear in everyone's news reader and ultimately
    will contribute to people leaving the group.

    I just don't know why people can't see this...

    Guest, Oct 1, 2003

  2. Guest

    MA Guest

    > I posted this yesterday but I was shouting. Today I am calm. I am sick
    of
    > getting the same abusive subject lines popping up again and again

    because
    > for whatever reason people feel the need to reply to the idiots. Don't

    do
    > it! When you see an abusive thread, don't bother replying at all -

    just
    > killfile or block the senders messages. It's not hard to do and it

    makes the
    > newsgroups much nicer places to be.
    >
    > I don't want to add blanket swear word filter's to subject lines

    because
    > some very interesting threads can actually start from someone saying
    > something abusive about their camera. Constantly replying to the

    abuser
    > threads just makes them re-appear in everyone's news reader and

    ultimately
    > will contribute to people leaving the group.
    >
    > I just don't know why people can't see this...

    My proposal for a filter that would stop the messages of recent days.

    1.) Only allow one sender to create n new messages per m minutes, or all
    of his messages are blocked. (This can be based on both username and
    sending host.)
    2.) Block all responses to the messages of 1.

    The above filter is obviously not bulletproof, but it would demand more
    work from the ones with too much spare time and less work from other
    readers.

    Anyone who knows of a newsreader that can support this method?

    Best regards, Magnus

    MA, Oct 1, 2003

  3. According to MA <>:
    > My proposal for a filter that would stop the messages of recent days.
    > (...)
    > 2.) Block all responses to the messages of 1.

    Step two is the most important. I don't know why you can't tell OE to block
    all _responses_ to a blocked sender. If I block a message, I don't want
    replies to it. I've been able to handle the thread creators with simple
    blocks, just not all the dopes who insist on replying to the trolls. (aka
    Lionel, most recently.)

    --
    eth'nT
    http://www.hydrous.net

    Ethan Trewhitt, Oct 1, 2003
  4. Guest

    Spam Blocked Guest

    Todays complaints please mail to

    Spam Blocked, Oct 1, 2003
  5. Guest

    Lionel Guest

    Regarding our pet troll. PLEASE READ.

    Word has it that on Wed, 01 Oct 2003 13:50:39 GMT, in this august forum,
    "MA" <> said:

    >My proposal for a filter that would stop the messages of recent days.

    The troll is being dealt with, & will soon cease to be an issue.

    In the meantime, I'd like to remind everyone that our troll has a mental
    age of about 5, & should be treated accordingly. Please don't respond to
    his posts in any way.

    If you are using a newsreader that makes it hard to see real posts
    amidst the garbage, kill-filing on each new identity he uses will get
    rid of his posts quite effectively, & kill-filing all threads that he
    starts will remove the posts of those people who can't resist responding
    to him.

    Those of us operating PC newsreaders without effective kill-file
    functions should consider running nfilter (free software), which is a
    little fiddly to set up, but does make it very easy to prevent this sort
    of junk from appearing when you read the group.

    Technical stuff, for those interested:

    The troll is/are currently operating from four different ISP
    accounts. Shutting down his/their access to Usenet will make them vanish
    completely.

    The reason that there is some doubt in my mind as to how many trolls are
    involved is because there are four PCs or one PC operating four ISP
    accounts. It's also possible that it's one troll posting via several
    cracked PC's. If the latter, our troll is soon going to have far more
    important things on his mind than trying to mess up a newsgroup.

    Lionel, Oct 1, 2003
  6. Guest

    Lionel Guest

    Word has it that on Wed, 1 Oct 2003 10:03:27 -0400, in this august
    forum, "Ethan Trewhitt" <> said:

    >Step two is the most important. I don't know why you can't tell OE to block
    >all _responses_ to a blocked sender. If I block a message, I don't want
    >replies to it. I've been able to handle the thread creators with simple
    >blocks, just not all the dopes who insist on replying to the trolls. (aka
    >Lionel, most recently.)

    Sorry, bad habit. I'm filtering the garbage out now.

    Lionel, Oct 1, 2003
  7. Guest

    Steve Young Guest

    > "Ethan Trewhitt" <> wrote
    > According to MA <>:
    > > My proposal for a filter that would stop the messages of recent days.
    > > (...)
    > > 2.) Block all responses to the messages of 1.

    > Step two is the most important. I don't know why you can't tell OE to block
    > all _responses_ to a blocked sender. If I block a message, I don't want
    > replies to it. I've been able to handle the thread creators with simple
    > blocks, just not all the dopes who insist on replying to the trolls. (aka
    > Lionel, most recently.)

    See, you've been tricked, that's why not responding doesn't work
    The troll forged Lionel's ID and then posted to himself. Spoofed a lot of
    people Hope he doesn't forge your name next

    Steve Young, Oct 1, 2003
  8. Guest

    Spam Blocked Guest

    "Steve Young" <> wrote in message
    > > "Ethan Trewhitt" <> wrote
    > > According to MA <>:
    > > > My proposal for a filter that would stop the messages of recent days.
    > > > (...)
    > > > 2.) Block all responses to the messages of 1.

    > > Step two is the most important. I don't know why you can't tell OE to

    block
    > > all _responses_ to a blocked sender. If I block a message, I don't want
    > > replies to it. I've been able to handle the thread creators with simple
    > > blocks, just not all the dopes who insist on replying to the trolls.

    (aka
    > > Lionel, most recently.)

    > See, you've been tricked, that's why not responding doesn't work
    > The troll forged Lionel's ID and then posted to himself. Spoofed a lot of
    > people Hope he doesn't forge your name next

    He will forge the wrong person and he'll be a sorry mudder trucker!

    Spam Blocked, Oct 1, 2003
  9. Guest

    Steve Young Guest

    "Spam Blocked" <> wrote in message

    > "Steve Young" <> wrote in message
    > > >
    > > > Step two is the most important. I don't know why you can't tell OE to

    > block
    > > > all _responses_ to a blocked sender. If I block a message, I don't want
    > > > replies to it. I've been able to handle the thread creators with simple
    > > > blocks, just not all the dopes who insist on replying to the trolls.

    > (aka
    > > > Lionel, most recently.)

    > > See, you've been tricked, that's why not responding doesn't work
    > > The troll forged Lionel's ID and then posted to himself. Spoofed a lot of
    > > people Hope he doesn't forge your name next
    > >

    > He will forge the wrong person and he'll be a sorry mudder trucker!

    Amen!
    i saw you sung the loop
    just a matter of pointing the bone ;)

    Steve Young, Oct 1, 2003
  10. According to Steve Young <>:
    > See, you've been tricked, that's why not responding doesn't work
    > The troll forged Lionel's ID and then posted to himself. Spoofed a
    > lot of people Hope he doesn't forge your name next

    That's okay. I don't mean blocking Lionel permanently, just blocking any
    immediate responses to a post that is blocked itself. I basically want to
    block threads or subthreads based on the OP's name+email.

    --
    eth'nT
    http://www.hydrous.net

    Ethan Trewhitt, Oct 1, 2003
  11. According to Lionel <>:
    > Sorry, bad habit. I'm filtering the garbage out now.

    Thanks. Excuse me for grouping you with dopes ^_^

    --
    eth'nT
    http://www.hydrous.net

    Ethan Trewhitt, Oct 1, 2003
  12. Re: Regarding our pet troll. PLEASE READ.

    According to Lionel <>:
    > The troll is being dealt with, & will soon cease to be an issue.

    You're not gonna kill him, are you?

    (I say let's just collect a big pail of dog crap and stick his head in it)

    --
    eth'nT
    http://www.hydrous.net

    Ethan Trewhitt, Oct 1, 2003
  13. Guest

    dslr Guest

    Lionel wrote:

    > Word has it that on Wed, 01 Oct 2003 13:50:39 GMT, in this august forum,
    > "MA" <> said:
    >
    > >My proposal for a filter that would stop the messages of recent days.

    > The troll is being dealt with, & will soon cease to be an issue.
    >
    > In the meantime, I'd like to remind everyone that our troll has a mental
    > age of about 5, & should be treated accordingly. Please don't respond to
    > his posts in any way.

    Pot, kettle - kettle, pot.

    I had 95% of his monikers nicely filtered - until you decided to reply
    to all of them today ;-)

    --
    regards,
    dslr

    dslr, Oct 1, 2003
  14. Guest

    Eric Gisin Guest

    Re: Regarding our pet troll. PLEASE READ.

    Congratulations for doing something.

    I did notice the multiple ISPs. As rasserver.net is dial-up, that has to be
    his or friends computer. A trojan web proxy could be installed on other
    computers, and that would have a fixed IP.

    Eric Gisin, Oct 1, 2003
  15. Guest

    Lionel Guest

    Re: Regarding our pet troll. PLEASE READ.

    Word has it that on Wed, 1 Oct 2003 21:18:31 +0000 (UTC), in this august
    forum, dslr <> said:

    >Lionel wrote:
    >>
    >> Word has it that on Wed, 01 Oct 2003 13:50:39 GMT, in this august forum,
    >> "MA" <> said:
    >>
    >> >My proposal for a filter that would stop the messages of recent days.

    >> The troll is being dealt with, & will soon cease to be an issue.
    >>
    >> In the meantime, I'd like to remind everyone that our troll has a mental
    >> age of about 5, & should be treated accordingly. Please don't respond to
    >> his posts in any way.
    >>

    >Pot, kettle - kettle, pot.
    >
    >I had 95% of his monikers nicely filtered - until you decided to reply
    >to all of them today ;-)

    You folk do know that "Lionel" <> is one of the
    trolls, not me, right?

    Lionel, Oct 1, 2003
  16. Guest

    Steve Young Guest

    Re: Regarding our pet troll. PLEASE READ.

    > ><> said:
    > >Pot, kettle - kettle, pot.

    > >I had 95% of his monikers nicely filtered - until you decided to reply
    > >to all of them today ;-)

    > "Lionel" <> wrote
    > You folk do know that "Lionel" <> is one of the
    > trolls, not me, right?

    You know I've tried to get the word out on this Lionel
    This troll has done this a lot with people's screen names
    Very clever actually, because he found a way to use people's blind reaction
    against themselves, killfiling prominent members of the group, who really
    never responded at all

    Think this day will see the end of this troll ;)

    Steve Young, Oct 2, 2003
  17. Guest

    Mxsmanic Guest

    Re: Regarding our pet troll. PLEASE READ.

    Mxsmanic, Oct 2, 2003
  18. Guest

    Paul Heslop Guest

    "" wrote:

    > I posted this yesterday but I was shouting. Today I am calm. I am sick of
    > getting the same abusive subject lines popping up again and again because
    > for whatever reason people feel the need to reply to the idiots. Don't do
    > it! When you see an abusive thread, don't bother replying at all - just
    > killfile or block the senders messages. It's not hard to do and it makes the
    > newsgroups much nicer places to be.
    >
    > I don't want to add blanket swear word filter's to subject lines because
    > some very interesting threads can actually start from someone saying
    > something abusive about their camera. Constantly replying to the abuser
    > threads just makes them re-appear in everyone's news reader and ultimately
    > will contribute to people leaving the group.
    >
    > I just don't know why people can't see this...

    My main problem is the way my old netscape works. It only blocks either sender
    or subject words for NG messages. I've tried other clients but this is the only
    one I'm happy with. I must admit our friendly lunatic is possibly the single
    most annoying thing I have come across in some five or six years on usenet.

    --
    Paul. (She took his ring, took his babies)
    Not what it seems...

    Paul Heslop, Oct 2, 2003
  19. Guest

    Spam Blocked Guest

    "Mxsmanic" <> wrote in message

    > Lionel writes:
    >
    > > You folk do know that "Lionel" <> is one of
    > > the trolls, not me, right?

    > It's impossible to know who is who without digital signatures.

    But one could narrow it down to NNTP posting host and ISP. I doubt he hasn't
    posted since around 3:00pm that he is bored, more like all his accounts were
    nuked...

    Spam Blocked, Oct 2, 2003
  20. Guest

    Lionel Guest

    Re: Regarding our pet troll. PLEASE READ.

    Word has it that on Thu, 02 Oct 2003 01:54:39 +0200, in this august
    forum, Mxsmanic <> said:

    >Lionel writes:
    >
    >> You folk do know that "Lionel" <> is one of
    >> the trolls, not me, right?

    >It's impossible to know who is who without digital signatures.

    In this case, it's trivial to tell from the headers.

    Lionel, Oct 2, 2003