Please critique this "practical freeware tutorial" for archiving DVDs

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by janet, Dec 16, 2007.

  1. janet

    janet Guest

    I wrote this for a friend and just wondered if experts on this newsgroup
    could critique my explanation and improve the steps for me and my friends.

    Here is how to archive your DVDs, using 100% freeware, without wasting time
    watching boring and non-skippable idiotic trailers!

    1. Always use DVDShrink freeware first 'cuz it works most of the time and
    is easy and takes the least amount of disk space and time and effort.

    No thinking; just hit the "Re-author" button, choose the main movie title &
    press the backup button. Three easy steps.

    2. Run three additional steps that are optional, but which result in better
    burns. First, you can hit the "compression" tab in DVDShrink and remove
    spurious languages so that you compress less. Second, I generally hit the
    "Analyze" button so that every frame is analyzed for custom compression.
    Thirdly, you can hit the double-arrow button to clip the beginning and/or
    end of the movie so that it starts and ends with just the movie and none of
    the "universal studios" logo crap.

    3. Sometimes DVDShrink fails. You'll know it fails if it gives any kind of
    error. Or if the main movie shows up as something way less than 3 to 6
    Gigabytes. Just give up when you see an error; don't try to work around it.
    For example, if the main movie shows up as 500 Mbytes, then don't even
    think of using DVDShrink. DVDShrink will fail about 5 or 10% of the time
    nowadays. When it fails, you have to add two extra steps in front of DVD
    Shrink. These work 99% of the time; and when they don't, someone fixes
    these programs (see below) so that they work 100% of the time.

    5. The first extra step that works 99.9% of the time is to run DVD HD Fab
    Decrypter freeware. Rip the entire movie to your hard drive. I'm not sure
    why; just do it (that is, don't rip just the main movie). This will take
    about 9 GBytes of disk space on your hard drive.

    6. Then, after ripping the entire movie to your hard drive, run FixVTS
    freeware to fix any bad blocks. Just drag any of the VOB files onto the
    FixVTS GUI and tell it to fix the entire DVD in place (don't bother with a
    backup which takes twice as much time and disk space for no gain).

    7. Once you've run FixVTS freeware on the entire ripped movie, then go back
    to step 1 above and use DVDShrink to shrink it to 4.7Gbytes. You'll notice
    you need about 9 + 5 = 14Gbytes for the original and shrunk version, so
    that is why you don't do this step first.

    8. Once you have a DVDShrink result which works, the last step is to burn
    the 4.7GB VIDEO_TS and (empty) AUDIO_TS folders to the root of a
    good-quality DVD disc as data. I use ImgBurn freeware because it's a fine
    program by a fine programmer; but you can use whatever you want.

    9. Lastly, use only good-quality DVD disc media. You must know the "Media
    ID" of your DVD discs. This sucks but that's the way it is. See this URL
    for a description of good-quality DVD media. Within certain constraints,
    quick practical advice is three steps. First, print out the Media ID guide
    located at http://www.digitalfaq.com/media/dvdmedia.htm
    Second, "try" to select a brand/model from that guide. Third, use your
    ImgBurn freeware to identify the "Media ID" (it's in the log file) when you
    burn your DVD image to disc. If you're lucky, you bought good-quality
    media. If not, try again until you find good-quality media. Once you have
    good-quality media, stick with it.

    10. Enjoy your archived movie, without all those annoying trailers! When
    your backup gets scratched, repeat the procedure keeping your original DVD
    dics pristine.

    Please critique this process so we all learn better techniques.

    janet, Dec 16, 2007

  2. janet

    janet Guest

    I just realized I didn't include the URLs to make your life easier.
    Here are just one suggested location for each freeware package.
    If you know of a BETTER download location, let us know.

    a) 1st use DVDShrink freeware 1st; it's easy & works 90% of the time:
    http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/dvd_rippers/dvd_shrink.cfm

    b) Use DVDfab HD Decrypter freeware only when DVDShrink fails:
    http://209.172.55.6/download/DVDFabHDDecrypter4016Beta
    The download link changes constantly; see details here:
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/583712

    d) Always use FixVTS freeware on DVDfab HD Decrypter results (dunno why):
    http://www.softsea.com/review/FixVTS.html

    e) ImgBurn freeware burns DVD images to disc & reports the Media ID:
    http://www.imgburn.com

    f) Buy first-quality DVD media based on the Media ID only!
    http://www.digitalfaq.com/media/dvdmedia.htm

    Does anyone know why DVDfab HD Decrypter doesn't just run FixVTS like
    RipIt4Me does? Why is it a separate step (either FixVTS or VOBBlanker
    anyway)?

    janet, Dec 16, 2007

  3. janet

    Jeff Guest

    janet <> wrote in

> [...]
    > "Media ID" of your DVD discs. This sucks but that's the way it is. See
    > this URL for a description of good-quality DVD media. Within certain
    > constraints, quick practical advice is three steps. First, print out
    > the Media ID guide located at
    > http://www.digitalfaq.com/media/dvdmedia.htm Second, "try" to select a
    > brand/model from that guide. Third, use your ImgBurn freeware to
    > identify the "Media ID" (it's in the log file) when you burn your DVD
    > image to disc. If you're lucky, you bought good-quality media. If not,
    > try again until you find good-quality media. Once you have
    > good-quality media, stick with it.
    >
    > 10. Enjoy your archived movie, without all those annoying trailers!
    > When your backup gets scratched, repeat the procedure keeping your
    > original DVD dics pristine.
    >
    > Please critique this process so we all learn better techniques.

    In #8 you say to burn "as data". This could be a problem if someone choose
    to use Nero (or possibly Roxio) to burn the files, since this comes with
    the burner. Burning the files as a "data disc" will make a disc that is
    unplayable in a stand-alone player. In Nero you should use "burn dvd-video
    files". They should select a burning speed less than the maximum. It is
    worth the extra 3-4 minutes to increase the likelihood of getting a good
    burn. It is also a good idea to check the verify data box to confirm that
    the burned disc matches the hard drive files.

    Checking the media ID in #9 seems a bit overkill to me. It would be
    simpler to just choose discs from one of the first or second class
    manufacturers in their list and leave it at that. The brand I use most is
    listed there as second class, but I get 98%-99% good burns (they claim 85%-
    90%).

    Using freeware is fine, but for someone with a lot of discs to copy it
    would save a lot of time and trouble to invest in a program like DVD Fab
    Platinum which will let them simply deselect the unwanted parts and then go
    on to finish the job with no further work on the user's part.

    Jeff, Dec 16, 2007
  4. janet

    sandy58 Guest

    Re: Please critique this "practical freeware tutorial" for archivingDVDs

    On Dec 16, 1:35 am, janet <> wrote:
> [...]
    > ID" of your DVD discs. This sucks but that's the way it is. See this URL
    > for a description of good-quality DVD media. Within certain constraints,
    > quick practical advice is three steps. First, print out the Media ID guide
    > located athttp://www.digitalfaq.com/media/dvdmedia.htm
    > Second, "try" to select a brand/model from that guide. Third, use your
    > ImgBurn freeware to identify the "Media ID" (it's in the log file) when you
    > burn your DVD image to disc. If you're lucky, you bought good-quality
    > media. If not, try again until you find good-quality media. Once you have
    > good-quality media, stick with it.
    >
    > 10. Enjoy your archived movie, without all those annoying trailers! When
    > your backup gets scratched, repeat the procedure keeping your original DVD
    > dics pristine.
    >
    > Please critique this process so we all learn better techniques.

    Your input is as good as it gets about it's subject. Thanks, Janet.

    sandy58, Dec 16, 2007
  5. janet

    gavin Guest

    "janet" <> wrote in message
> [...]
    > for a description of good-quality DVD media. Within certain constraints,
    > quick practical advice is three steps. First, print out the Media ID guide
    > located at http://www.digitalfaq.com/media/dvdmedia.htm
    > Second, "try" to select a brand/model from that guide. Third, use your
    > ImgBurn freeware to identify the "Media ID" (it's in the log file) when
    > you
    > burn your DVD image to disc. If you're lucky, you bought good-quality
    > media. If not, try again until you find good-quality media. Once you have
    > good-quality media, stick with it.
    >
    > 10. Enjoy your archived movie, without all those annoying trailers! When
    > your backup gets scratched, repeat the procedure keeping your original DVD
    > dics pristine.
    >
    > Please critique this process so we all learn better techniques.

    In step 8 is it necessary to burn the AUDIO_TS folder onto the DVD? I always
    just drop the VIDEO_TS folder into ImgBurn and get perfect results.

    gavin, Dec 16, 2007
  6. janet

    janet Guest

    On Sun, 16 Dec 2007 09:23:17 GMT, Jeff wrote:
    > Checking the media ID in #9 seems a bit overkill to me. It would be
    > simpler to just choose discs from one of the first or second class
    > manufacturers in their list and leave it at that.

    Hi Jeff,
    Thank you for this advice. I agree with you. I did say "it sucks" when I
    suggested we check the media id in step #9 but I'm not sure I understand
    your suggestion.

    If I *could* choose a disc in the first class without checking the media ID
    after the fact, I would. But, I have TDK-brand discs that are CMC-Mag
    landfill and I have TDK-brand discs that are in the first-class - so my
    point is that, unfortunately, the guide is only reliable after the fact.
    http://www.digitalfaq.com/media/dvdmedia.htm

    I guess, by way of example, TDK is a bad egg whereas perhaps the other
    "brands" (remember they outsource and buy from others and put their brand
    name on the DVD discs) might not be as flaky as TDK.

    For example, maybe Sony does not outsource so *any* Sony would be good
    since Sony is only listed in the first-class category.

    But, since I was burned with TDK-branded media that was in the
    fourth-class, I'm gunshy of anything but the media-Id.

    But, I do understand your point. One should *try* to buy from the 1st-class
    "manufacturers" (which is what I said in the tutorial).

    Should I change the tutorial to say "Buy only Mitsubishi, Verbatim, Taiyo
    Yuden, Hitachi Maxell, Sony" media?

    Notice I left out "Pioneer" which it says doesn't make good media anymore
    (since 2003 anyway); and I left out TDK because I *know* TDK sells CMC-MAG
    coasters which doesn't show up on those charts (just go to Costco and buy
    their TDK-branded DVD discs and you'll be sorry soon enough).

    janet

    janet, Dec 16, 2007
  7. janet

    janet Guest

    On Sun, 16 Dec 2007 09:23:17 GMT, Jeff wrote:
    > Invest in a program like DVD Fab Platinum which will let them
    > simply deselect the unwanted parts and then go
    > on to finish the job with no further work on the user's part.

    Hi Jeff,

    There it is again! I'm so confused.
    At first I thought DVDfab HD Decrypter 4 freeware only worked on the whole
    movie and not the main movie only.

    Then, I see Ron May implies DVDfab HD Decrypter 4 freeware can work on just
    the main movie.

    Then, I see you imply DVDfab HD Decrypter 4 freeware won't work on the main
    movie unless we buy the DVD Fab Platinum upgrade.

    Can someone clear up my confusion?

    1st Question:
    Does DVDfab HD Decrypter 4 freeware work on just the main movie or not?

    2nd Question:
    If DVDfab HD Decrypter 4 freeware works on just the main movie, then what
    is the difference between DVDfab HD Decrypter 4 freeware and the DVD Fab
    Platinum upgrade?

    janet

    janet, Dec 16, 2007
  8. janet

    janet Guest

    On Sun, 16 Dec 2007 12:55:11 GMT, gavin wrote:
    > In step 8 is it necessary to burn the AUDIO_TS folder onto the DVD? I always
    > just drop the VIDEO_TS folder into ImgBurn and get perfect results.

    Hi Gavin,
    You are totally correct. The zero-sized AUDIO_TS folder is *not* necessary.
    I don't know why it even exists (I read somewhere it was in the original
    DVD specs but never used - but I never checked up on it personally).

    I burn the empty AUDIO_TS directory 'cuz it's easy enough to burn and I
    *assume* there might be a compatibility problem with some badly designed
    hardwared DVD players; but I've never known a problem to arise when I
    didn't include the empty AUDIO_TS directory.

    Does anyone know of any problems if we suggest users always omit the rather
    useless empty AUDIO_TS directory?

    janet

    janet, Dec 16, 2007
  9. janet

    janet Guest

    On Sat, 15 Dec 2007 21:57:53 -0600, Ron May wrote:
    > go to DVDFab HD Decrypter
    > (I use "Main Movie" and "Full Disc" interchangeably without problems.

    Hi Ron May,

    Jeff in a later post to this thread implies "DVDfab HD Decrypter 4"
    freeware won't work on the main movie unless we buy the "DVD Fab Platinum"
    upgrade.

    This underscores that I'm confused whether "DVDfab HD Decrypter 4" freeware
    can handle just the Main Movie.

    I'm not sure what "DVDFab HD Decrypter" you're talking about which handles
    the Main Movie only. Are you talking about the freeware or the paid
    upgrade?

    I'm sorry I'm confused. It shows up in my tutorial so I hope someone clears
    the air once and for all.

    1st Question:
    Does DVDFab HD Decrypter 4 freeware handle just the Main Movie or not?

    2nd Question:
    If it does, what's the fundamental difference between the freeware and
    paidware version of the software?

    janet

    janet, Dec 16, 2007
  10. janet

    Susan Bugher Guest

    janet wrote:

    > f) Buy first-quality DVD media based on the Media ID only!
    > http://www.digitalfaq.com/media/dvdmedia.htm

    Just FYI

    Program: CDR Identifier
    Author: Frank Wolf
    Ware: (Freeware)
    http://www.cdr.cz/software/cdr_identifier/
    http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail/CDR_Identifier/970209376/1
    "CDR Identifier lets you read the ATIP of a CDR with the most of the
    current CDR recorders. This information tells the manufacturer and type
    of dye used for this media."

    Program: Nero Info Tool
    Author: Erik Deppe
    Ware: (Freeware)
    "Nero InfoTool is a utility which analyses and displays the most
    important information about a drive, disc, configuration and software.
    The information can also be printed or saved to a text file."

    Susan
    --
    Posted to alt.comp.freeware
    http://www.google.com/advanced_group_search?q= group:alt.comp.freeware

    Susan Bugher, Dec 16, 2007
  11. janet

    Jeff Guest

    janet <> wrote in

    > On Sun, 16 Dec 2007 09:23:17 GMT, Jeff wrote:
    >> Invest in a program like DVD Fab Platinum which will let them
    >> simply deselect the unwanted parts and then go
    >> on to finish the job with no further work on the user's part.

    > Hi Jeff,
    >
    > There it is again! I'm so confused.
    > At first I thought DVDfab HD Decrypter 4 freeware only worked on the
    > whole movie and not the main movie only.
    >
    > Then, I see Ron May implies DVDfab HD Decrypter 4 freeware can work on
    > just the main movie.
    >
    > Then, I see you imply DVDfab HD Decrypter 4 freeware won't work on the
    > main movie unless we buy the DVD Fab Platinum upgrade.
    >
    > Can someone clear up my confusion?
    >
    > 1st Question:
    > Does DVDfab HD Decrypter 4 freeware work on just the main movie or
    > not?
    >
    > 2nd Question:
    > If DVDfab HD Decrypter 4 freeware works on just the main movie, then
    > what is the difference between DVDfab HD Decrypter 4 freeware and the
    > DVD Fab Platinum upgrade?
    >
    > janet

    I don't see a post from Ron May on my server.
    I did not mean to imply that the freeware version would not work on just
    the main movie (in fact it does). However, all it does is copy the movie
    to the hard drive, leaving you with the additional steps of compressing it
    with one program and then burning it with another.
    The Platinum version removes the extra steps. It will do the decrypting,
    compressing and burning all by itself.

    Jeff, Dec 16, 2007
  12. janet

    Jeff Guest

    janet <> wrote in

    > On Sun, 16 Dec 2007 12:55:11 GMT, gavin wrote:
    >> In step 8 is it necessary to burn the AUDIO_TS folder onto the DVD? I
    >> always just drop the VIDEO_TS folder into ImgBurn and get perfect
    >> results.

    > Hi Gavin,
    > You are totally correct. The zero-sized AUDIO_TS folder is *not*
    > necessary. I don't know why it even exists (I read somewhere it was in
    > the original DVD specs but never used - but I never checked up on it
    > personally).
    >
    > I burn the empty AUDIO_TS directory 'cuz it's easy enough to burn and
    > I *assume* there might be a compatibility problem with some badly
    > designed hardwared DVD players; but I've never known a problem to
    > arise when I didn't include the empty AUDIO_TS directory.
    >
    > Does anyone know of any problems if we suggest users always omit the
    > rather useless empty AUDIO_TS directory?
    >
    > janet

    I also include the AUDIO_TS folder since it is easy and the space it takes
    on the DVD is negligible. Recently I saw a commercially made DVD that did
    not have one.

    Jeff, Dec 16, 2007
  13. janet

    CoMa Guest

    On Sun, 16 Dec 2007 17:33:46 GMT, Jeff <> wrote:

    >janet <> wrote in
    >
    >> On Sun, 16 Dec 2007 12:55:11 GMT, gavin wrote:
    >>> In step 8 is it necessary to burn the AUDIO_TS folder onto the DVD? I
    >>> always just drop the VIDEO_TS folder into ImgBurn and get perfect
    >>> results.

    >> Hi Gavin,
    >> You are totally correct. The zero-sized AUDIO_TS folder is *not*
    >> necessary. I don't know why it even exists (I read somewhere it was in
    >> the original DVD specs but never used - but I never checked up on it
    >> personally).
    >>
    >> I burn the empty AUDIO_TS directory 'cuz it's easy enough to burn and
    >> I *assume* there might be a compatibility problem with some badly
    >> designed hardwared DVD players; but I've never known a problem to
    >> arise when I didn't include the empty AUDIO_TS directory.
    >>
    >> Does anyone know of any problems if we suggest users always omit the
    >> rather useless empty AUDIO_TS directory?
    >>
    >> janet

    >I also include the AUDIO_TS folder since it is easy and the space it takes
    >on the DVD is negligible. Recently I saw a commercially made DVD that did
    >not have one.

    If you use ImgBurn in "Build" mode and only drag and drop VIDEO_TS
    on ImgBurn and then burn the disc, then ImgBurn automatically add
    the AUDIO_TS directory on the disc when you burn it.

    CoMa, Dec 16, 2007
  14. janet

    CoMa Guest

    On Sun, 16 Dec 2007 11:46:37 -0500, Susan Bugher <>
    wrote:

    >janet wrote:
    >
    >> f) Buy first-quality DVD media based on the Media ID only!
    >> http://www.digitalfaq.com/media/dvdmedia.htm

    >Just FYI
    >
    >Program: CDR Identifier
    >Author: Frank Wolf
    >Ware: (Freeware)
    >http://www.cdr.cz/software/cdr_identifier/
    >http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail/CDR_Identifier/970209376/1
    >"CDR Identifier lets you read the ATIP of a CDR with the most of the
    >current CDR recorders. This information tells the manufacturer and type
    >of dye used for this media."

    DVD Identifier
    http://dvd.identifier.cdfreaks.com/
    DVD Identifier offers a reliable method of accurately identifying
    a DVD disc's real manufacturer.

    >Program: Nero Info Tool
    >Author: Erik Deppe
    >Ware: (Freeware)
    >http://www.majorgeeks.com/download120.html
    >"Nero InfoTool is a utility which analyses and displays the most
    >important information about a drive, disc, configuration and software.
    >The information can also be printed or saved to a text file."

    You get a newer Nero Info Tool version at
    http://www.nero.com/enu/support-nero8-tools-utilities.html

    Nero CD-DVD Speed
    http://www.cdspeed2000.com/
    Support for CD, DVD, BD and HD DVD drives/media
    Read/write transfer rate
    Create disc/verify function
    Detailed disc information
    Disc quality tests (PI/PO, C1/C2, Jitter)
    TA jitter test
    Scan disc
    Bitsetting
    DAE tests
    Erase/format
    Overburning test

    CoMa, Dec 16, 2007
  15. janet

    janet Guest

    On Sun, 16 Dec 2007 19:05:20 +0100, CoMa wrote:
    Hi Coma,
    Thanks for the information tools.
    There *is* a reason I did *not* suggest use of these DVD-identifier
    programs but it's specific to freeware.

    My argument that they are not needed is the basic freeware DVD burner
    software suggested (i.e., ImgBurn), comes with the DVD media identifier
    built in.

    So, there is no need for additional programs to identify a disk when the
    DVD burner software (which is required) already has that capability.

    This is the reason I suggest ImgBurn over all other DVD burning software in
    my tutorial although I did say one could use any software (keeping in mind
    the seemingly incomprehensible Nero issues with "data" DVD data).

    Still, the samples are useful and I thank you for supplying them.

    janet

    janet, Dec 16, 2007
  16. janet

    CoMa Guest

    On Sat, 15 Dec 2007 17:35:35 -0800, janet <> wrote:

    >6. Then, after ripping the entire movie to your hard drive, run FixVTS
    >freeware to fix any bad blocks. Just drag any of the VOB files onto the
    >FixVTS GUI and tell it to fix the entire DVD in place (don't bother with a
    >backup which takes twice as much time and disk space for no gain).

    I would use a program called PgcEdit before I use FixVTS.
    http://download.videohelp.com/r0lZ/pgcedit/

    If PgcEdit finds anny errors when it loads the ripped DVD
    just let PgcEdit fix them.
    After the DVD is loaded you go to the menu "DVD" and choose
    "Delete Uncalled PGCs" and follow the instructions to fix it.
    Then save the DVD (File -> Save DVD).

    And after that you use the FixVTS program.

    CoMa, Dec 16, 2007
  17. janet

    CoMa Guest

    CoMa, Dec 16, 2007
  18. janet

    Stan Brown Guest

    Sat, 15 Dec 2007 17:35:35 -0800 from janet <>:
    > I wrote this for a friend and just wondered if experts on this newsgroup
    > could critique my explanation and improve the steps for me and my friends.

    Janet,

    This is something I know little about but want to learn.

    It would be great if, after all comments are in, you revise your
    original and post it with comments incorporated in the appropriate
    places. That would be a lot easier for us to use than a whole thread,
    which contains lots of back-and-forth as extra discussion.

    http://OakRoadSystems.com/

    Stan Brown, Dec 16, 2007
  19. janet

    Susan Bugher Guest

    CoMa wrote:
    > On Sun, 16 Dec 2007 11:46:37 -0500, Susan Bugher <>
    > wrote:

    >>http://www.majorgeeks.com/download120.html
    >>"Nero InfoTool is a utility which analyses and displays the most
    >>important information about a drive, disc, configuration and software.
    >>The information can also be printed or saved to a text file."

    > You get a newer Nero Info Tool version at
    > http://www.nero.com/enu/support-nero8-tools-utilities.html

    Many thanks CoMa. :) :) :) One less thing on my ToDo list.

    The link to Nero on Erik's download page is dead (I've sent him an
    email) and I couldn't find the link you posted when I searched Nero
    yesterday - no doubt because of the spelling I used. "Nero Info Tool"
    doesn't work. "Nero InfoTool" does.

    Program: Nero InfoTool (Nero Info Tool)
    Author: Erik Deppe
    Ware: (Freeware)

    Nero doesn't give version info. :(
    This is the current DL.
    ftp://ftp6.nero.com/tools/InfoTool.zip (939 KB)
    contains: InfoTool.exe
    v 4.4.0.0 per a check of the properties

    Susan
    --
    Posted to alt.comp.freeware
    http://www.google.com/advanced_group_search?q= group:alt.comp.freeware

    Susan Bugher, Dec 17, 2007
  20. janet

    Bill's News Guest

    "janet" <> wrote in message
> [...]
    > quick practical advice is three steps. First, print out the
    > Media ID guide
    > located at http://www.digitalfaq.com/media/dvdmedia.htm
    > Second, "try" to select a brand/model from that guide. Third,
    > use your
    > ImgBurn freeware to identify the "Media ID" (it's in the log
    > file) when you
    > burn your DVD image to disc. If you're lucky, you bought
    > good-quality
    > media. If not, try again until you find good-quality media.
    > Once you have
    > good-quality media, stick with it.
    >
    > 10. Enjoy your archived movie, without all those annoying
    > trailers! When
    > your backup gets scratched, repeat the procedure keeping your
    > original DVD
    > dics pristine.
    >
    > Please critique this process so we all learn better

    Some things observed in reading your script and the replies:

    1) DVDFab Platinum (or HD Decrypter) should not need FixVTS, or
    its like, ever. That particular ripper is still updated, almost
    daily, by its Chinese authors. Needless to say, AnyDVD seems to
    be updated as well, but it is fee only.

    2) ImgBurn, as you noted - a superb burner, works with - or
    first creates - IFO files. DVDShrink will produce IFO files
    directly, regardless of its feature set employed. DVDFab,
    however, does not do this, as the platinum version - and perhaps
    the gold - includes a burner. With IFO files, there is no
    semantic issue regarding DATA or VIDEO. I might add too that
    not all stand-alone DVD players have an issue with DATA mode
    DVDs. Most players which are divx or MPEGISO capable do not
    adhere with the same rigidity to the decade old spec. There is
    a caution here, in that what plays on your or my player may not
    play on someone else's.

    3) Other features of DVD Shrink include splitting DVD9s across
    two DVD5s using re-author (or, depending upon file sizes, this
    could include menus on one or both discs by alternating use of
    still pictures/images). It is amazingly simple, using Shrink,
    to edit in your own headers and trailers (still or motion video)
    to discs which will not have menus preserved. For example, one
    can insert bonus material between the last scene of a movie and
    the closing credits, if there's enough space on the target disc.

    An excellent, and free, JPEG editor is IrfanView. One can
    quickly add text to a photo to include as separators, when
    preserving bonus materials. The skip button on your remote will
    advance whether or not there are menus.

    4) As someone else mentioned, fee based DVDFab Platinum, does
    the whole job - shrink or split, remove or edit some items while
    retaining menus, and burn. Its "re-authoring," to remove
    headers and trailers, is more awkward than Shrink's.

    General notes:

    I no longer burn DVDs, instead I archive on 750 GB hot-swap hard
    drives. The saving in shelf space alone makes up for the
    trivial incremental cost over buying DVD blanks and cases.
    Never-the-less, I still endeavor to conserve space and embellish
    the result as outlined in your post and the above notes.

    While both MPC and VLC player software will play HDD resident
    ISO files, they both behave more naturally when playing data
    files from an HDD. However, when using a program such as Daemon
    Tools to "mount" an ISO as a drive, both of these programs
    operate exactly as they would from DVD.

    Bill's News, Dec 17, 2007