Please assist with VLANs

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by nov1ce, Nov 17, 2009.

  1. nov1ce

    nov1ce

    Joined:
    Nov 17, 2009
    Messages:
    1
    Hi all-

    Appreciate your assistance with the following VLAN question. Here is my setup:

    [SW3] <-> [ROUTER] <-> [SW2] <-------> [SW1]

    where:

    [SW3] is Cisco Catalyst 3548 switch with 3 VLANs configured,

    [ROUTER] is Cisco 2851 router with three subinterfaces configured in trunk mode (encapsulation dot1Q) and relevant routing, so three VLANs can talk to each other,

    [SW2] is Cisco 6509 switch. It's not aware about VLANs on SW3 but has routing entries pointing to ROUTER.

    [SW1] is Cisco 6509 switch interconnected with SW2. It's not aware about VLANs on SW3 but has routing entries pointing to ROUTER.

    I need to assign several ports on SW1 and SW2 to be part of VLANs from SW3. Please advise how can I propogate VLANs from SW3 over ROUTER to SW1 and SW2? Can I somehow inject VLANs through ROUTER -- does it mean that "ROUTER to SW2" interface should be configured in trunk mode with requested VLANs to be distributed? I have no problems sharing VLANs between SW2 and SW1.

    Thank you in advance.
    nov1ce, Nov 17, 2009

  2. nov1ce

    donjohnston

    Joined:
    Jun 28, 2008
    Messages:
    38
    You really can't since VLANs terminate at a layer 3 interface. There is a workaround (IRB), but it's pretty ugly.
    donjohnston, Nov 23, 2009