Playstation3 getting a 2x speed Blu-ray disc drive?

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Guest, Aug 3, 2005.

  1. Guest

    Guest Guest

    http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22303

    it is a well known fact that Playstation3 is getting Blu-ray - the question
    now is, what will the read-speed of the disc drive be: 1x or 2x

    this will be a hugely important factor that determines how fast games will
    load into RAM memory (512 MB) and the potential for streaming graphics data
    for in realtime for building large game-worlds.

    a 1x speed Blu-ray drive provides 54Mbps data transfer rate - so I
    assume a 2x speed Blu-ray drive would provide a date transfer rate twice
    that much.

    IMO, a 2x speed Blu-ray drive for PS3 is the minimum that would concidered
    'acceptable' by game developers, given that it will take a fast drive to
    fill up the relatively large amount of RAM memory the PS3 has (512 MB)
    compared to the current PS2 which has just over 32 MB of RAM memory.

    note that the original Playstation of 1994-1995 came out with a 2x speed
    CD-ROM drive - games had very long load times because of this, and the fact
    that the buffer cache was so small. the Sega Saturn also had a 2x speed
    CD-ROM drive but it had a larger cache, which helped the loading times in
    games a great deal.

    the Playstation2 has, I believe, a 4x speed DVD-ROM drive, and still has
    long load times dispite PS2's relatively modest amount of RAM memory

    the new Xbox 360 will have, for games, a 12x speed DVD-ROM drive (512 MB
    RAM to fill)
    ( Xbox 360 possibly having HD-DVD in the future will not be for games)

    what are the chances that Playstation3 could have a 4x Blu-Ray drive? I
    know they exist, at least, 'in the labs' but what about for consumer devices
    in 2006 (i.e. PS3) ?

    at any rate, I'm expecting a 2x drive
    Guest, Aug 3, 2005