PlayStation 4 To Be Neutered, Rendered Disc-Less

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by AirRaid, Aug 4, 2006.

  1. AirRaid

    AirRaid Guest

    http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/sony/playstation-4-to-be-neutered-rendered-discless-192028.php
    http://www.tinyurl.com/z6ch8

    PlayStation 4 To Be Neutered, Rendered Disc-Less

    The PlayStation 3 isn't out yet, but that doesn't stop Sony's Phil
    Harrison from making wild speculations about the capability of
    Playstation 4. According to him, the PS4 won't support physical discs.
    At all. He opines:

    I'd be amazed if the PlayStation 4 has a physical disc drive.

    So you mean in 5-10 years, our home's series of tubes/big
    trucks/broadband connections will be fat enough to download a 50GB game
    in a decent amount of time? We sure hope so.

    But wait, Phil! You mean those precious Blu-ray discs that your
    company's humping so hard is going to be gone by the time PS4 is out?
    Oh wait, Kotaku's Ashcraft already beat me to that joke/conclusion.
    Damn you Ash! Damn you and your 16-hour head start. - Jason Chen

    AirRaid, Aug 4, 2006

  2. AirRaid

    AirRaid Guest

    another article on the subject

    Sony Says Disc Drive for PlayStation 4 Unlikely

    August 4, 2006 2:10 PM

    No discs for PS4

    When it comes to disc technology in the next-generation console market,
    Sony is making a Blu-ray drive standard on both the $499 and $599
    versions of its PS3, whereas Microsoft has decided to play it safe by
    using traditional DVD-9 media with its XBOX 360. While many like to
    point to a "Blu-ray vs HD DVD" battle in the console arena, one
    must take into account that no XBOX 360 games will use HD DVD media and
    the HD DVD drive will be an optional, external USB unit aimed at
    playing back high-definition movies. Microsoft has also stated that it
    has no plans to offer an XBOX 360 with an integrated HD DVD drive. With
    that being said, even though Sony's PlayStation 3 has yet to hit store
    shelves, Sony is already talking about its successor. Sony's Phil
    Harrison believes that the PlayStation 4 will forgo discs altogether.

    With the rising popularity of using an online marketplace to download
    games, additional game content, demos and movie trailers, many are
    questioning the need for physical media in the future. "I'd be
    amazed if the PlayStation 4 has a physical disc drive," said Harrison
    to Wired Magazine. While the market may not be quite to the point where
    a 100% digital distribution model would be feasible for console gamers,
    it may be ripe for the picking when the PlayStation 4 is released.

    Looking at the PS2, it has been on the market for 6 years. Both NVIDIA
    and Sony have stated that the PS3 will have a shelf life of 10 years --
    that pushes us to 2016 for PS4. Perhaps by 2016, large-scale digital
    distribution of game and movie content and high-speed Internet
    connections will be at a point where such a model would be feasible for
    a home console.

    AirRaid, Aug 5, 2006

  3. AirRaid wrote:

    > http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=3664
    >
    > Sony Says Disc Drive for PlayStation 4 Unlikely
    >
    > When it comes to disc technology in the next-generation console market,
    > Sony is making a Blu-ray drive standard on both the $499 and $599
    > versions of its PS3, whereas Microsoft has decided to play it safe by
    > using traditional DVD-9 media with its XBOX 360. While many like to
    > point to a "Blu-ray vs HD DVD" battle in the console arena, one
    > must take into account that no XBOX 360 games will use HD DVD media and
    > the HD DVD drive will be an optional, external USB unit aimed at
    > playing back high-definition movies. Microsoft has also stated that it
    > has no plans to offer an XBOX 360 with an integrated HD DVD drive. With
    > that being said, even though Sony's PlayStation 3 has yet to hit store
    > shelves, Sony is already talking about its successor. Sony's Phil
    > Harrison believes that the PlayStation 4 will forgo discs altogether.
    >
    > With the rising popularity of using an online marketplace to download
    > games, additional game content, demos and movie trailers, many are
    > questioning the need for physical media in the future. "

    And so, the natural corporate progression:
    PlayStation 2 = DVD
    PlayStation 3 = HD-DVD
    PlayStation 4 = DIVx

    (And y'know, for all that media corporations claim to champion
    capitalism, when it comes to new-technology movies and games, they just
    DON'T like us owning personal property...) :)

    Derek Janssen

    Derek Janssen, Aug 5, 2006
  4. On 5 Aug 2006 12:20:33 -0700, "AirRaid" <>
    Gave us:

    >Looking at the PS2, it has been on the market for 6 years. Both NVIDIA
    >and Sony have stated that the PS3 will have a shelf life of 10 years --
    >that pushes us to 2016 for PS4. Perhaps by 2016, large-scale digital
    >distribution of game and movie content and high-speed Internet
    >connections will be at a point where such a model would be feasible for
    >a home console.

    They're dreaming. Even if consumer pipes get that big, ten million
    folks all trying to stream a game in at the same time is not going to
    be a pretty thing.

    Phat Bytestard, Aug 5, 2006
  5. AirRaid

    eHDMI Guest

    AirRaid wrote:
    > http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/sony/playstation-4-to-be-neutered-rendered-discless-192028.php
    > http://www.tinyurl.com/z6ch8
    >
    > PlayStation 4 To Be Neutered, Rendered Disc-Less
    >

    > The PlayStation 3 isn't out yet, but that doesn't stop Sony's Phil
    > Harrison from making wild speculations about the capability of
    > Playstation 4. According to him, the PS4 won't support physical discs.
    > At all. He opines:
    >
    > I'd be amazed if the PlayStation 4 has a physical disc drive.
    >
    > So you mean in 5-10 years, our home's series of tubes/big
    > trucks/broadband connections will be fat enough to download a 50GB game
    > in a decent amount of time? We sure hope so.
    >
    > But wait, Phil! You mean those precious Blu-ray discs that your
    > company's humping so hard is going to be gone by the time PS4 is out?
    > Oh wait, Kotaku's Ashcraft already beat me to that joke/conclusion.
    > Damn you Ash! Damn you and your 16-hour head start. - Jason Chen

    I read that..really motivates me to pay $600 for the 3....get a bunch
    of over priced games will not run w/ the 4?

    Keith
    http://www.eHDMI.com

    eHDMI, Aug 9, 2006
  6. AirRaid

    RobertVA Guest

    AirRaid wrote:
    > another article on the subject
    >
    > http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=3664
    >

    > Sony Says Disc Drive for PlayStation 4 Unlikely
    >
    > August 4, 2006 2:10 PM
    >

    > No discs for PS4
    >
    > When it comes to disc technology in the next-generation console market,
    > Sony is making a Blu-ray drive standard on both the $499 and $599
    > versions of its PS3, whereas Microsoft has decided to play it safe by
    > using traditional DVD-9 media with its XBOX 360. While many like to
    > point to a "Blu-ray vs HD DVD" battle in the console arena, one
    > must take into account that no XBOX 360 games will use HD DVD media and
    > the HD DVD drive will be an optional, external USB unit aimed at
    > playing back high-definition movies. Microsoft has also stated that it
    > has no plans to offer an XBOX 360 with an integrated HD DVD drive. With
    > that being said, even though Sony's PlayStation 3 has yet to hit store
    > shelves, Sony is already talking about its successor. Sony's Phil
    > Harrison believes that the PlayStation 4 will forgo discs altogether.
    >
    > With the rising popularity of using an online marketplace to download
    > games, additional game content, demos and movie trailers, many are
    > questioning the need for physical media in the future. "I'd be
    > amazed if the PlayStation 4 has a physical disc drive," said Harrison
    > to Wired Magazine. While the market may not be quite to the point where
    > a 100% digital distribution model would be feasible for console gamers,
    > it may be ripe for the picking when the PlayStation 4 is released.
    >
    > Looking at the PS2, it has been on the market for 6 years. Both NVIDIA
    > and Sony have stated that the PS3 will have a shelf life of 10 years --
    > that pushes us to 2016 for PS4. Perhaps by 2016, large-scale digital
    > distribution of game and movie content and high-speed Internet
    > connections will be at a point where such a model would be feasible for
    > a home console.

    With the current and past consoles the dealers aren't marking the
    console's price up because they are able to make their money selling
    software, memory cards, controllers and other add ons. A lot of their
    profit is in software sales. I wonder how the manufacturers would
    persuade dealers to sell the consoles while planning to cut them out of
    the software distribution chain.

    RobertVA, Aug 9, 2006