    please tell me exactly what this means and the significance of having
    this done.

    Thanks.

    Rastus, Feb 12, 2005

  2. Rastus

    richms Guest

    The chip allows it to play import, and in most cases copied games, but
    be aware that some guy did make an antipiracy chip that doesnt play
    burned games, so its something to be on the look out to avoid.

    richms, Feb 12, 2005

  3. Rastus

    XPD Guest

    "Rastus" <> wrote in message
    > I've been looking to buy my son a Playstation 1 or PS1 console and
    > notice some adverts state they have been 'mod chipped' or just been
    > 'chipped'. Given that I'm rather ignorant about this, can someone
    > please tell me exactly what this means and the significance of having
    > this done.
    >
    > Thanks.

    Modchips allow you to play games purchased overseas (NTSC) and burnt copies
    of games on CDR's.
    www.fatcat.co.nz sells them for PS2 and possibly PS1

    XPD, Feb 12, 2005
  4. In <> richms wrote:

    > The chip allows it to play import, and in most cases copied games, but
    > be aware that some guy did make an antipiracy chip that doesnt play
    > burned games, so its something to be on the look out to avoid.

    Acts of Gord are hilarious stories from a guy who ran a game rental
    store. He sold mod chips for the PlayStation which would allow it to
    play imported Japanese games, but not copied games.

    '...a small chip installed into your PlayStation that circumvents the
    territorial protection of the PlayStation, and thereby allowing you to
    play games from any region. The most common variant of "mod chips" are
    the ones that also nullify the copy protection scheme in the machine.?
    For some strange reason, this is a very popular attraction.'

    'However, as a game store owner, Gord likes the first reason and not the
    second one.? A rather uncommon mod chip that he stocked was a mod chip
    that did only territorial protection removal.? Most people would assume
    that mod chips by default removed copy protection.? This provided many,
    many hours of entertainment.'

    The story continues with a couple of typical encounters with angry
    customers returning to complain about not being able to play the games
    they copied :^)

    http://www.actsofgord.com/Chronicles/chapter24.html

    http://vintageware.orcon.net.nz/

    Roger Johnstone, Feb 12, 2005