    is an announcement for Buena Vista's PLAYMAKERS. Since I am no longer in
    States, I don't have time to catch all those wonderful R-rated TV
    shows..How is this one?

    alex crouvier, Feb 9, 2004

  2. alex crouvier

    kay Guest

    "alex crouvier" <> wrote in message
    news:4027b487$...
    > I'm a big fan of footbal movies as expose of American corruption, THE
    > PROGRAM & ANY GIVEN SUNDAY are lovely downers for me. I know I'm sick.

    There
    > is an announcement for Buena Vista's PLAYMAKERS. Since I am no longer in
    > States, I don't have time to catch all those wonderful R-rated TV
    > shows..How is this one?

    It's watchable, but it just got cancelled.

    kay, Feb 9, 2004

  3. alex crouvier

    Stan Brown Guest

    It seems "alex crouvier" wrote in alt.video.dvd:
    >I'm a big fan of footbal movies as expose of American corruption, THE
    >PROGRAM & ANY GIVEN SUNDAY are lovely downers for me. I know I'm sick. There
    >is an announcement for Buena Vista's PLAYMAKERS. Since I am no longer in
    >States, I don't have time to catch all those wonderful R-rated TV
    >shows..How is this one?

    I don't much care for football games, but I found the series
    absorbing. The eye candy didn't hurt, of course, but there were
    well-drawn characters and good stories, without the usual tie-it-up-
    in-43-minutes endings.

    I would put it right up there with /The Shield/.

    (NB I'm talking about the TV series as broadcast. I have not seen
    the DVDs.)

    http://OakRoadSystems.com

    Stan Brown, Feb 10, 2004
  4. alex crouvier

    Stan Brown Guest

    It seems "kay" wrote in alt.video.dvd:

    >"alex crouvier" <> wrote in message
    >> I'm a big fan of footbal movies as expose of American corruption, THE
    >> PROGRAM & ANY GIVEN SUNDAY are lovely downers for me. I know I'm sick.

    >There
    >> is an announcement for Buena Vista's PLAYMAKERS. Since I am no longer in
    >> States, I don't have time to catch all those wonderful R-rated TV
    >> shows..How is this one?

    >It's watchable, but it just got cancelled.

    Technically,. I think it wasn't cancelled, it just was not renewed
    for a new season. Either way, rumor has it that the NFL put massive
    pressure on ESPN because NFL couldn't accept a portrayal of some
    football players as drug users or womanizers.

    http://OakRoadSystems.com

    Stan Brown, Feb 10, 2004
  5. alex crouvier

    Invid Fan Guest

    In article <>, Stan Brown
    <> wrote:

    > It seems "kay" wrote in alt.video.dvd:
    > >
    > >"alex crouvier" <> wrote in message
    > >> I'm a big fan of footbal movies as expose of American corruption, THE
    > >> PROGRAM & ANY GIVEN SUNDAY are lovely downers for me. I know I'm sick.

    > >There
    > >> is an announcement for Buena Vista's PLAYMAKERS. Since I am no longer in
    > >> States, I don't have time to catch all those wonderful R-rated TV
    > >> shows..How is this one?

    > >It's watchable, but it just got cancelled.

    > Technically,. I think it wasn't cancelled, it just was not renewed
    > for a new season. Either way, rumor has it that the NFL put massive
    > pressure on ESPN because NFL couldn't accept a portrayal of some
    > football players as drug users or womanizers.

    If a league has a choice of who to sell their product to, it's not good
    to piss them off. Locally sports teams have sold the radio broadcast
    rights for lower amounts to switch from a station who's talk show hosts
    were going too far in their criticism. It's one thing to say a coach
    should be fired, and quite another to insult them personally on a daily
    basis :)

    -'Deal/No Deal', CHESS

    Invid Fan, Feb 10, 2004
  6. Stan Brown wrote:

    >>It's watchable, but it just got cancelled.

    > Technically,. I think it wasn't cancelled, it just was not renewed
    > for a new season. Either way, rumor has it that the NFL put massive
    > pressure on ESPN because NFL couldn't accept a portrayal of some
    > football players as drug users or womanizers.

    No, it was.....cancelled:
    The news had been trumpeting ESPN's big ratings/programming mistake with
    the series for a while (sure, sports fans know this, but you just don't
    *tell* them how corrupted their industry is to their face, let alone
    wallow in it, and expect them to loyally tune in every week), and not to
    mention, B) most fans didn't want to see ESPN fall victim to the siren
    song of Original Programming like all the other networks had--

    In viewers' eyes, here was one network that *didn't* need TNT Original
    Movies, and they'd already lost more darn cable channels that way.

    Derek Janssen

    Derek Janssen, Feb 10, 2004
  7. alex crouvier

    Goro Guest

    "alex crouvier" <> wrote in message news:<4027b487$>...
    > I'm a big fan of footbal movies as expose of American corruption, THE
    > PROGRAM & ANY GIVEN SUNDAY are lovely downers for me. I know I'm sick. There
    > is an announcement for Buena Vista's PLAYMAKERS. Since I am no longer in
    > States, I don't have time to catch all those wonderful R-rated TV
    > shows..How is this one?

    I'm a big football fan. Watched a couple of eps of PLAYMAKERS and
    really didn't care for it. I thought THE PROGRAM was ok and that ANY
    GIVEN SUNDAY was unwatchable. I think if you liked those two movies,
    you'll like PLAYMAKERS.

    Goro, Feb 10, 2004