Playing video with IrfanView

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Terry Pinnell, Aug 31, 2006.

  1. Does anyone here have a good grasp of how IV plays video files please?
    There are 4 settings: 2 options in the main IV window, under
    Options|Properties|Video/Sound.
    1) Use external player (IV_Player PlugIn required!)
    2) Use internal video/sound player

    And if you click the Options icon in the 'Irfanview Multimedia Player'
    window (only accessible while a video file is open), then there are
    also 2 options:
    Play videos/sounds through:
    A) MCI interface
    B) Microsoft Media Player interface (recommended)

    So that makes 4 possible combinations.

    But I sometimes get very odd results if Media Player is chosen (i.e.
    combination 1B or 2B). With *some* WMV files, it plays only the audio,
    no video. Yet WMP 10 does play video and audio on those same files!

    I have the WMV plug-in installed, because under Help|Installed Plugins
    there is an entry VIDEO.DLL near the bottom which includes WMV. But is
    this to handle WMP? And is WMP the 'external player'? What exactly
    then is the 'internal player', and the 'MCI interface'?

    Also, all my videos are now opening with their left sides cut off.
    Maximising and restoring the window size fixes that, but plainly there
    is something wrong here!

    Any comments gratefully received please. It would also be interesting
    to know which of those settings 4 is used by others.

    --
    Terry, West Sussex, UK
    Terry Pinnell, Aug 31, 2006

  2. Terry Pinnell

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Terry Pinnell wrote:
    > Does anyone here have a good grasp of how IV plays video files please?
    > There are 4 settings: 2 options in the main IV window, under
    > Options|Properties|Video/Sound.
    > 1) Use external player (IV_Player PlugIn required!)
    > 2) Use internal video/sound player
    >
    > And if you click the Options icon in the 'Irfanview Multimedia Player'
    > window (only accessible while a video file is open), then there are
    > also 2 options:
    > Play videos/sounds through:
    > A) MCI interface
    > B) Microsoft Media Player interface (recommended)
    >
    > So that makes 4 possible combinations.
    >
    > But I sometimes get very odd results if Media Player is chosen (i.e.
    > combination 1B or 2B). With *some* WMV files, it plays only the audio,
    > no video. Yet WMP 10 does play video and audio on those same files!
    >
    > I have the WMV plug-in installed, because under Help|Installed Plugins
    > there is an entry VIDEO.DLL near the bottom which includes WMV. But is
    > this to handle WMP? And is WMP the 'external player'? What exactly
    > then is the 'internal player', and the 'MCI interface'?
    >
    > Also, all my videos are now opening with their left sides cut off.
    > Maximising and restoring the window size fixes that, but plainly there
    > is something wrong here!
    >
    > Any comments gratefully received please. It would also be interesting
    > to know which of those settings 4 is used by others.

    Irfanview uses plugins to play videos. In addition, the OS uses codecs
    to decode the video compression scheme used. You MUST have current
    codecs to match what was recorded to play back the video. Keep plugins
    updated with each Irfanview version, and keep your OS codecs updated often.
    Ron Hunter, Aug 31, 2006

  3. Ron Hunter <> wrote:

    >Terry Pinnell wrote:
    >> Does anyone here have a good grasp of how IV plays video files please?
    >> There are 4 settings: 2 options in the main IV window, under
    >> Options|Properties|Video/Sound.
    >> 1) Use external player (IV_Player PlugIn required!)
    >> 2) Use internal video/sound player
    >>
    >> And if you click the Options icon in the 'Irfanview Multimedia Player'
    >> window (only accessible while a video file is open), then there are
    >> also 2 options:
    >> Play videos/sounds through:
    >> A) MCI interface
    >> B) Microsoft Media Player interface (recommended)
    >>
    >> So that makes 4 possible combinations.
    >>
    >> But I sometimes get very odd results if Media Player is chosen (i.e.
    >> combination 1B or 2B). With *some* WMV files, it plays only the audio,
    >> no video. Yet WMP 10 does play video and audio on those same files!
    >>
    >> I have the WMV plug-in installed, because under Help|Installed Plugins
    >> there is an entry VIDEO.DLL near the bottom which includes WMV. But is
    >> this to handle WMP? And is WMP the 'external player'? What exactly
    >> then is the 'internal player', and the 'MCI interface'?
    >>
    >> Also, all my videos are now opening with their left sides cut off.
    >> Maximising and restoring the window size fixes that, but plainly there
    >> is something wrong here!
    >>
    >> Any comments gratefully received please. It would also be interesting
    >> to know which of those settings 4 is used by others.
    >>

    >Irfanview uses plugins to play videos. In addition, the OS uses codecs
    >to decode the video compression scheme used. You MUST have current
    >codecs to match what was recorded to play back the video. Keep plugins
    >updated with each Irfanview version, and keep your OS codecs updated often.

    Thanks. As mentioned, plug-in is installed. (Or are there others
    relevant, apart from the one I described?).

    Codecs are something of a black art to me. I have scores (as listed by
    programs like GSpot and AVIcodec, etc.) How in practice do you 'keep
    your OS codecs updated'?

    --
    Terry, West Sussex, UK
    Terry Pinnell, Sep 1, 2006
  4. Terry Pinnell

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Terry Pinnell wrote:
    > Ron Hunter <> wrote:
    >
    >> Terry Pinnell wrote:
    >>> Does anyone here have a good grasp of how IV plays video files please?
    >>> There are 4 settings: 2 options in the main IV window, under
    >>> Options|Properties|Video/Sound.
    >>> 1) Use external player (IV_Player PlugIn required!)
    >>> 2) Use internal video/sound player
    >>>
    >>> And if you click the Options icon in the 'Irfanview Multimedia Player'
    >>> window (only accessible while a video file is open), then there are
    >>> also 2 options:
    >>> Play videos/sounds through:
    >>> A) MCI interface
    >>> B) Microsoft Media Player interface (recommended)
    >>>
    >>> So that makes 4 possible combinations.
    >>>
    >>> But I sometimes get very odd results if Media Player is chosen (i.e.
    >>> combination 1B or 2B). With *some* WMV files, it plays only the audio,
    >>> no video. Yet WMP 10 does play video and audio on those same files!
    >>>
    >>> I have the WMV plug-in installed, because under Help|Installed Plugins
    >>> there is an entry VIDEO.DLL near the bottom which includes WMV. But is
    >>> this to handle WMP? And is WMP the 'external player'? What exactly
    >>> then is the 'internal player', and the 'MCI interface'?
    >>>
    >>> Also, all my videos are now opening with their left sides cut off.
    >>> Maximising and restoring the window size fixes that, but plainly there
    >>> is something wrong here!
    >>>
    >>> Any comments gratefully received please. It would also be interesting
    >>> to know which of those settings 4 is used by others.
    >>>

    >> Irfanview uses plugins to play videos. In addition, the OS uses codecs
    >> to decode the video compression scheme used. You MUST have current
    >> codecs to match what was recorded to play back the video. Keep plugins
    >> updated with each Irfanview version, and keep your OS codecs updated often.

    > Thanks. As mentioned, plug-in is installed. (Or are there others
    > relevant, apart from the one I described?).
    >
    > Codecs are something of a black art to me. I have scores (as listed by
    > programs like GSpot and AVIcodec, etc.) How in practice do you 'keep
    > your OS codecs updated'?

    I use a file I get from majorgeeks. I believe it is called: XP Codec
    Pack. Look for the latest version, download, and install. Quick and
    painless. Note that new codecs are being developed and used, all the
    time, so it is a constant effort to keep updated so you can play all the
    clips.
    Ron Hunter, Sep 1, 2006
  5. Terry Pinnell

    Matt Ion Guest

    Terry Pinnell wrote:
    > Does anyone here have a good grasp of how IV plays video files please?

    Irfan does - drop him an email, he's very friendly and responsive.
    Matt Ion, Sep 5, 2006