Playing the sound only through the standard headphone output in Windows XP

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by lbrtchx@hotmail.com, Oct 2, 2007.

  1. Guest

    Hi,
    ~
    I run two computer labs with 30 Windows-XP based computers in a
    learning center and I need to make sure that users who need to listen
    to music, podcasts or want to watch videos (which include their
    soundtracks) can only do so using ear buds or headphones, otherwise
    these labs will be hellish and other students wouldn't be able to do
    any work
    ~
    All computers have planar flat screens with in-built speakers and I
    have noticed that some of the computers do not play sound through
    their speakers (the ones on the screen), but can do so through the
    standard headphone output
    ~
    How can I make all other computers behave the same?
    ~
    Any other howto's about how to manage Windows boxes efficiently?
    ~
    For example, I would like to kind of know, for leaning purposes the
    click trace of users. Say they are in a training site such as this
    one:
    ~
    http://www.ckls.org/~crippel/computerlab/tutorials/mouse/page1.html
    ~
    You could run wireshark and generate a great deal of network traffic
    logs, but how do I produce/distill some kinds of logs specific to each
    user that would let me know that user4 (connecting from PC 4) is doing
    it fast enough so it learned how to use the mouse?
    ~
    Thank you
    lbrtchx
    , Oct 2, 2007

  2. Ray Parrish Guest

    Re: Playing the sound only through the standard headphone outputin Windows XP

    wrote:
    > Hi,
    > ~
    > I run two computer labs with 30 Windows-XP based computers in a
    > learning center and I need to make sure that users who need to listen
    > to music, podcasts or want to watch videos (which include their
    > soundtracks) can only do so using ear buds or headphones, otherwise
    > these labs will be hellish and other students wouldn't be able to do
    > any work
    > ~
    > All computers have planar flat screens with in-built speakers and I
    > have noticed that some of the computers do not play sound through
    > their speakers (the ones on the screen), but can do so through the
    > standard headphone output
    > ~
    > How can I make all other computers behave the same?

    Well, one suggestion I have is to simply unplug the wire going from the
    soundcard to the speakers, and put the wire away where the users can't
    get it. They would then have to plug in their headphones.

    Later, Ray Parrish

    --
    http://rayparrish.spaces.live.com/ Ray's Space, poetry, shareware, freeware
    http://www.freewebs.com/rayparrish/ My poetry in web pages