Playing Region III DVDs in America

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Opticreep, Nov 4, 2004.

  1. Opticreep

    Opticreep Guest

    I find myself working abroad in Asia for a few years, where all DVDs
    are locked for Region III players. So far, I have abstained from
    purchasing *any* DVDs here. I'd hate to be stuck with a large
    collection of Region III DVDs that I can't use when I go home to
    America later. Anyway, is it pretty difficult to unlock American DVD
    players (not PC DVD players) into playing Region III DVDs?

    I had always assumed the whole "Region Coding" business was meant to
    keep DVD prices down in Asia as a means to combat piracy. Companies
    could sell DVDs at dirt cheap prices in Asia, and keep Americans from
    using these "cheap versions" via region coding. Seems sensible
    enough.

    But in practice, I find that it works completely opposite. DVD prices
    in the USA are much, much lower than in Asia. It's insane, really.
    The Star Wars trilogy, for example, can be found for under $40
    stateside... but in Asia, it's closer to $60 USD. Region I DVDs that
    cost $15 in America are sold as Region III DVDs for $25 here, where
    people typically make five or six dollars a *day*. Go figure. Is it
    any wonder why piracy is thriving in Asia?
    Opticreep, Nov 4, 2004

  2. Opticreep

    SoHillsGuy Guest

    << Anyway, is it pretty difficult to unlock American DVD
    players (not PC DVD players) into playing Region III DVDs? >><BR><BR>

    If you don't want to do it yourself -- or can't -- there are plenty of
    pre-hacked region-free machines on eBay for under $100. That's what I
    recommend.
    SoHillsGuy, Nov 4, 2004

  3. On 4 Nov 2004 02:46:42 -0800, (Opticreep) wrote:

    >I find myself working abroad in Asia for a few years, where all DVDs
    >are locked for Region III players. So far, I have abstained from
    >purchasing *any* DVDs here. I'd hate to be stuck with a large
    >collection of Region III DVDs that I can't use when I go home to
    >America later. Anyway, is it pretty difficult to unlock American DVD
    >players (not PC DVD players) into playing Region III DVDs?
    >
    >I had always assumed the whole "Region Coding" business was meant to
    >keep DVD prices down in Asia as a means to combat piracy. Companies
    >could sell DVDs at dirt cheap prices in Asia, and keep Americans from
    >using these "cheap versions" via region coding. Seems sensible
    >enough.
    >
    >But in practice, I find that it works completely opposite. DVD prices
    >in the USA are much, much lower than in Asia. It's insane, really.
    >The Star Wars trilogy, for example, can be found for under $40
    >stateside... but in Asia, it's closer to $60 USD. Region I DVDs that
    >cost $15 in America are sold as Region III DVDs for $25 here, where
    >people typically make five or six dollars a *day*. Go figure. Is it
    >any wonder why piracy is thriving in Asia?

    I would suggest that when you get back, you purchase a properly
    modified quality player such as the JVC-XV-N510. I have had no
    problems of any sort, after two years, with my model purchase from
    Zone Free DVD. Recommended.

    http://www.zonefreedvd.com/codefreedvd/xvn510b.html

    Charles
    nzvideos.org
    Charles Eggen, Nov 4, 2004
  4. Opticreep

    DVDfanatico Guest

    There is a list of code hacks via remote at http://www.videohelp.com/dvdhacks

    I think most if not all Cyberhomes can be made region free via remote.

    HTH
    -DVDfanatico

    DVDfanatico, Nov 4, 2004
  5. Opticreep

    Opticreep Guest

    Charles Eggen <> wrote in message news:<>...

    > I would suggest that when you get back, you purchase a properly
    > modified quality player such as the JVC-XV-N510. I have had no
    > problems of any sort, after two years, with my model purchase from
    > Zone Free DVD. Recommended.

    OK, thanks. I didn't realize these region-free players were available
    for purchase.

    Except for language and subtitle variations, do most DVDs from all the
    different regions have the exact same content? Or is it fairly common
    to see DVDs from Asian countries that have had various special
    features removed?
    Opticreep, Nov 5, 2004
  6. Opticreep

    luminos Guest

    "Opticreep" <> wrote in message
    > Charles Eggen <> wrote in message
    >>

    >> I would suggest that when you get back, you purchase a properly
    >> modified quality player such as the JVC-XV-N510. I have had no
    >> problems of any sort, after two years, with my model purchase from
    >> Zone Free DVD. Recommended.
    >>

    > OK, thanks. I didn't realize these region-free players were available
    > for purchase.
    >
    > Except for language and subtitle variations, do most DVDs from all the
    > different regions have the exact same content?

    Yes and no. Many from other regions have special features removed.
    luminos, Nov 5, 2004
  7. On Fri, 5 Nov 2004 02:47:21 -0800, "luminos" <> wrote:

    urchase.

    >> Except for language and subtitle variations, do most DVDs from all the
    >> different regions have the exact same content?

    >Yes and no. Many from other regions have special features removed.

    Or added. Or both.

    Mischa
    Mischa van Dinter, Nov 5, 2004
  8. Opticreep

    Guest

    In article <>,
    SoHillsGuy <> wrote:
    ><< Anyway, is it pretty difficult to unlock American DVD
    >players (not PC DVD players) into playing Region III DVDs? >><BR><BR>

    >If you don't want to do it yourself -- or can't -- there are plenty of
    >pre-hacked region-free machines on eBay for under $100. That's what I
    >recommend.

    There are many DVD players that can be made region free just by
    pressing 4 or 5 keystrokes on the remote.

    My Philips 642 is now region free - $69 at K-Mart.

    7 8 OK 0

    --
    Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com
    , Nov 8, 2004
  9. Opticreep

    jayembee Guest

    wrote:

    > There are many DVD players that can be made region free just by
    > pressing 4 or 5 keystrokes on the remote.
    >
    > My Philips 642 is now region free - $69 at K-Mart.
    >
    >7 8 OK 0

    That's "7 8 9 OK 0". :)

    My girlfriend and I just picked this player up last night at Wal-Mart
    (same price as yours). I was a bit concerned with some of the
    notes in the Users Manual, and on videohelp.com about certain
    "features". According to either the UM or the comments at
    videohelp.com, the 642...

    (1) Only converts PAL to NTSC for VCDs, but not DVDs.

    (2) Will not properly convert anamorphic PAL to NTSC with the
    proper A.R.

    Both of these proved to be false. We tried various discs:

    (1) R2 PAL DVDs, both fullscreen and anamorphic widescreen
    (2) SVCDs
    (3) VCDs
    (4) XviD discs
    (5) DivX discs

    All played fine, although sometimes the motion on XviD discs gets a
    bit jerky. I can live with that.

    So far, we're very happy with this player. The only flaw I can find in
    it so far is that it doesn't have a DTS processor.

    -- jayembee
    jayembee, Nov 8, 2004
  10. On Mon, 8 Nov 2004, jayembee wrote:

    > So far, we're very happy with this player. The only flaw I can find in
    > it so far is that it doesn't have a DTS processor.

    Have you tried playing a DTS disc in it anyway? I have a Philips DVD
    player that doesn't have the DTS logo on it anywhere, yet when I selected
    the DTS soundtrack option in the menues of a couple of DVDs, it lit up the
    DTS light on my receiver.

    Give it a shot anyway, it might work on yours too.

    swac
    Stephen Cooke, Nov 8, 2004
  11. Opticreep

    kaboom Guest

    On Mon, 08 Nov 2004 21:35:00 GMT, wrote:

    >In article <>,
    >SoHillsGuy <> wrote:
    >><< Anyway, is it pretty difficult to unlock American DVD
    >>players (not PC DVD players) into playing Region III DVDs? >><BR><BR>

    >>If you don't want to do it yourself -- or can't -- there are plenty of
    >>pre-hacked region-free machines on eBay for under $100. That's what I
    >>recommend.

    >There are many DVD players that can be made region free just by
    >pressing 4 or 5 keystrokes on the remote.
    >
    >My Philips 642 is now region free - $69 at K-Mart.

    **Did you hack it by pressing keys on the remote or did you need to dl
    some software and hack it that way?

    kaboomie
    kaboom, Nov 8, 2004
  12. Opticreep

    jayembee Guest

    Stephen Cooke <> wrote:

    > jayembee wrote:
    >
    >> So far, we're very happy with this player. The only flaw I can find in
    >> it so far is that it doesn't have a DTS processor.

    > Have you tried playing a DTS disc in it anyway? I have a Philips DVD
    > player that doesn't have the DTS logo on it anywhere, yet when I selected
    > the DTS soundtrack option in the menues of a couple of DVDs, it lit up the
    > DTS light on my receiver.
    >
    > Give it a shot anyway, it might work on yours too.

    Well, at the moment, it's set up at my girlfriend's place, and she
    doesn't have a DTS-capable receiver. But I'll keep that in mind.

    -- jayembee
    jayembee, Nov 9, 2004
  13. Opticreep

    jayembee Guest

    kaboom <> wrote:

    > >My Philips 642 is now region free - $69 at K-Mart.

    > **Did you hack it by pressing keys on the remote or did you need to dl
    > some software and hack it that way?

    Keys on the remote. But you have to open the tray, first. Then press
    "7 8 9 OK 0" on the remote. A "0" will appear on the screen. That's
    the region you've selected. If you wanted to select it be specifically
    Region 2, you'd press "7 8 9 OK 2".

    -- jayembee
    jayembee, Nov 9, 2004
  14. Opticreep

    kaboom Guest

    On Tue, 09 Nov 2004 01:44:04 GMT, jayembee
    <> wrote:

    >kaboom <> wrote:
    >
    >> >My Philips 642 is now region free - $69 at K-Mart.

    >> **Did you hack it by pressing keys on the remote or did you need to dl
    >> some software and hack it that way?

    >Keys on the remote. But you have to open the tray, first. Then press
    >"7 8 9 OK 0" on the remote. A "0" will appear on the screen. That's
    >the region you've selected. If you wanted to select it be specifically
    >Region 2, you'd press "7 8 9 OK 2".

    **Thanks, jayembee. I have a really old Philips that still plays fine
    but won't play the DVD-Rs that I burn on my Panny e85. By any chance,
    have you tried playing any DVD-Rs on it yet? Also, I wanted to find a
    player that was relatively easy to convert to all-region and the fact
    that it'll will convert PAL to NTSC is bonus.

    kaboomie
    kaboom, Nov 9, 2004
  15. Opticreep

    jayembee Guest

    kaboom <> wrote:

    >jayembee <> wrote:

    >>> **Did you hack it by pressing keys on the remote or did you need
    >>> to dl some software and hack it that way?

    >> Keys on the remote. But you have to open the tray, first. Then press
    >> "7 8 9 OK 0" on the remote. A "0" will appear on the screen. That's
    >> the region you've selected. If you wanted to select it be specifically
    >> Region 2, you'd press "7 8 9 OK 2".

    > **Thanks, jayembee. I have a really old Philips that still plays fine
    > but won't play the DVD-Rs that I burn on my Panny e85. By any chance,
    > have you tried playing any DVD-Rs on it yet? Also, I wanted to find a
    > player that was relatively easy to convert to all-region and the fact
    > that it'll will convert PAL to NTSC is bonus.

    Until you mentioned it, I realized that I hadn't tried any DVD-Rs on
    it yet, mostly because I couldn't recall if we had any here at my GF's
    place. But we have a few, and I just tried one. It works fine.

    -- jayembee
    jayembee, Nov 10, 2004