    matter.

    Thank you in advance,
    Swaroop

    Swaroop Kumar, Jan 2, 2004

  2. Swaroop Kumar

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    "Swaroop Kumar" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Is there a difference between region-free DVD players and multi-region
    > DVD players? For example, the listing for the Norcent DP-316V DVD
    > player on Amazon

    (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0000A2UAM/qid=/sr=1-4/re
    f=pd_sbs_e_1/002-5970346-9482463?v=glance&s=electronics)
    > seems to indicate that "NTSC/PAL conversion output lets you play
    > region-free U.K. DVDs". Are there such things as region-free DVDs? I
    > would appreciate it if somebody would please enlighten me in this
    > matter.

    There are DVDs that are coded "All-Region" aka "Region 0". These have no
    restrictions on where in the world they can be played, other than the
    limitations of the PAL and NTSC video formats.

    The DVD player referenced above sounds like it is capable of converting
    PAL to NTSC, but its region-blocking is still in place. Therefore, it
    will play Region 0 discs from either PAL or NTSC countries, but will not
    play discs specifically coded for a region other than Region 1.

    What you need is a region-free player that will also do the PAL/NTSC
    conversion. These come in two flavors: Those set permanently for "Play
    All Regions", or those that allow you to manually select which region
    you want on a disc-by-disc basis. The latter are preferable, as they
    allow you to bypass discs with RCE (Region Code Enhancement).

    Joshua Zyber, Jan 2, 2004

  3. Thank you, Joshua. Can you quote some examples of the second type of
    DVD players (like manufacturer, model #, etc.)?

    Thank you.

    Regards,
    Swaroop

    Swaroop Kumar, Jan 2, 2004
  4. (Swaroop Kumar) wrote in message news:<>...
    > Thank you, Joshua. Can you quote some examples of the second type of
    > DVD players (like manufacturer, model #, etc.)?
    >
    > Thank you.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Swaroop

    Most Malata players handle PAL conversion.

    John Harkness

    John Harkness, Jan 3, 2004
  5. Swaroop Kumar

    Try www.dvdrhelp.com for more info.