    Or maybe the files are too large to stream?

    Thanks

    Bill

    Bill, Jan 1, 2005

  2. Bill

    mikeFNB Guest

    try winamp
    that's what i use for everything

    mike

    "Bill" <> wrote in message
    news:e%...
    > Thanks to the help on this NG my little home network is working great. I

    can
    > open all files and view them from the laptop. Then I get this idea...I

    have
    > all these mp3s on the main pc, so I share them and they do show up on the
    > laptop. But when I click on a file on the laptop the player doesn't play

    it.

    mikeFNB, Jan 2, 2005

  3. Bill

    Bill Guest

    I will give Winamp a try but I am curious if there is something in my
    network set up that needs fixing that may also affect winamp.
    Any clues?

    Thanks
    Bill

    Bill, Jan 2, 2005
  4. Bill

    Bill Guest

    Tried Winamp and it will not play files either. There must be something else
    that I need to do to get this to work..

    Anyone Please???

    Bill, Jan 2, 2005
  5. Bill

    mikeFNB Guest

    it's this permission thing that hits me.
    have you admin rights on your log-in?

    mike

    mikeFNB, Jan 2, 2005
  6. Bill

    Bill Guest

    Yes I do Mike and here is the kicker I shared a file on the laptop and I can
    play it on the main PC, but the reverse isnt happening. Really getting my
    goat now LOL

    Bill, Jan 2, 2005
  7. Bill

    Bill Guest

    Mike you have been so kind to stick with me. I have narrowed this thing down
    to file problem. The network is fine. Here is the deal and maybe you can
    give me a tip or two if you know the answer.

    1) The mp3 files I am trying to play were from some old cds I have.
    2) The newer mp3 files are from some new cds and they work just fine
    3) If I convert the old mp3s to WMA then they work.

    I really don't want to convert all these to WMA and duplicate my library
    (1000+) but if there is a way to convert the old mp3 format to the new mp3
    standard then that would be great if such a thing exists. In my musicmatch I
    see MP3VBR and MP3 VBR PRO and dont know what they are. Maybe they will
    work.?

    Thanks
    Bill

    Bill, Jan 2, 2005
  8. Bill

    mikeFNB Guest

    have a squint on google for converting one to another.
    or do a search on converting old mp3 files etc.

    i'm a bit busy now.
    but i'll have a look later.

    mike

    mikeFNB, Jan 2, 2005
  9. Bill

    Bill Guest

    Just in case any others check this thread, I got everything working
    perfectly now...and thanks to Mike for some help. Here is what happened and
    what has to be done...

    1) Some older mp3 files could not work on the network
    2) Found a program Advanced WMA workshop that resampled and fixed most of
    them. Its a MP3 to MP3 conversion. MP3 to other formats are also possible.
    3) For those few that couldn't be fixed found another neat program 'mptrim'
    that opens and trims corrupt stuff in the file. Its as simple as opening the
    file and then immediately save it. No need for any user interaction.

    So now all my older mp3s are working perfectly on the network. Newer mp3s
    did not have this problem.

    Cheers

    Bill, Jan 3, 2005