    printed directory. I'd appreciate any information from someone who has
    experience in this. Thanks much.

    , Sep 12, 2003

  2. Howdy!

    <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I'm researching buying a combination DVD/VCR player and want one that
    > will also play audio CD's and mp3 files. I've narrowed the search down,
    > but in looking into them, I have a concern about the mp3 filenames. One
    > of the online manuals mentions iso9660 file names. From what I can
    > understand of the technical gobbledygook, this is a filename with only
    > eight characters and a three character extension, so basically the old
    > filename standards. All my mp3 files are long names, the name of the
    > tune. Does this mean that the DVD/VCR player won't be able to play them,
    > or won't show the title on the display? I realize I can rename the ones
    > I'll burn to CD, but then I don't know which tune is which without a
    > printed directory. I'd appreciate any information from someone who has
    > experience in this. Thanks much.

    My JVC displays the short name, but plays them fine.

    RwP

    Ralph Wade Phillips, Sep 12, 2003

  3. Guest

    Thanks. But what do you mean by "the short name", the eight character
    filename? JVC is one I'm looking, as well as an RCA, Philips and
    Panasonic.

    ><> wrote in message
    >> I'm researching buying a combination DVD/VCR player and want one that
    >> will also play audio CD's and mp3 files. I've narrowed the search down,
    >> but in looking into them, I have a concern about the mp3 filenames. One
    >> of the online manuals mentions iso9660 file names. From what I can
    >> understand of the technical gobbledygook, this is a filename with only
    >> eight characters and a three character extension, so basically the old
    >> filename standards. All my mp3 files are long names, the name of the
    >> tune. Does this mean that the DVD/VCR player won't be able to play them,
    >> or won't show the title on the display? I realize I can rename the ones
    >> I'll burn to CD, but then I don't know which tune is which without a
    >> printed directory. I'd appreciate any information from someone who has
    >> experience in this. Thanks much.

    > My JVC displays the short name, but plays them fine.
    >
    > RwP

    , Sep 12, 2003
  4. Howdy!

    <> wrote in message
    > Thanks. But what do you mean by "the short name", the eight character
    > filename? JVC is one I'm looking, as well as an RCA, Philips and
    > Panasonic.

    Yes, the 8.3 name.

    Best bet is to take a MP3 CD in, and play them at the store you're
    going to buy from.

    That way, you'll know exactly how that model works.

    RwP

    Ralph Wade Phillips, Sep 12, 2003
  5. Guest

    Good point about bringing in a CD with mp3 files on it and try. Thanks.

    >Howdy!
    >
    ><> wrote in message
    >> Thanks. But what do you mean by "the short name", the eight character
    >> filename? JVC is one I'm looking, as well as an RCA, Philips and
    >> Panasonic.

    > Yes, the 8.3 name.
    >
    > Best bet is to take a MP3 CD in, and play them at the store you're
    >going to buy from.
    >
    > That way, you'll know exactly how that model works.
    >
    > RwP

    , Sep 12, 2003