    --
    David Emerling - Memphis, TN

    If you want to email me - remove HATESPAM from the above address.
    David Emerling, Dec 31, 2004

  2. David Emerling

    Ralph Fox Guest

    On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 23:19:46 GMT, in message
    <m8lBd.44935$>, David Emerling wrote:

    > I decided to give Firefox a try. Very nice! Loads pages quicker than IE.
    > However, it doesn't seem to like playing embedded midi files.
    >
    > I went to Tools > Options > Downloads > Plug-Ins

    Another place to check is, enter this URL into the URL bar

    about:plugins

    This gives more detail on the plug-ins.

    > and noticed that MID isn't even on the list of recognized extensions. That
    > seems odd since midi's are so common place on web pages.

    Evidently Firefox did not bundle a MIDI plug-in.

    You can still install one yourself. You get to choose a MIDI plug-in
    which you personally like.

    > How can I get these to play

    Download and install a suitable plug-in for MIDI files.

    There is a choice of plug-ins, so pick one which you like.
    Personally I use the QuickTime plug-in to play MIDI files, but
    others prefer a leaner and meaner plug-in.

    • Popular plug-ins: http://channels.netscape.com/ns/browsers/plugins.jsp
    • Search for plug-ins: http://channels.netscape.com/ns/browsers/pi_search_pi.jsp
    • Help for installing plug-ins: http://plugindoc.mozdev.org/

    Or see the links at the top of the page which appears when you enter
    about:plugins
    into the URL bar.

    > using what I already have installed on my
    > computer?

    Does that mean you don't want to install a MIDI plug-in?

    --
    Cheers,
    Ralph

    "He who dares not offend cannot be honest." -- Thomas Paine
    Ralph Fox, Jan 1, 2005

  3. (On 12/31/2004 6:19 PM) David Emerling wrote:
    > I decided to give Firefox a try. Very nice! Loads pages quicker than IE.
    > However, it doesn't seem to like playing embedded midi files.
    >
    > I went to Tools > Options > Downloads > Plug-Ins
    >
    > and noticed that MID isn't even on the list of recognized extensions. That
    > seems odd since midi's are so common place on web pages.
    >
    > How can I get these to play using what I already have installed on my
    > computer?
    >
    > Thanks!

    I don't think MIDI files on webpages are quite as common as you think.

    Regardless, it all depends on what tag was used to embed the sound. If
    the page is using the <bgsound> tag, then it's not going to work since
    it's not an HTML standard and I believe is only supported by IE. But if
    the page uses the <object> tag, then it should work with Firefox.

    I remember seeing an extension a long time ago that dealt with MIDI file
    <bgsound>s.
    --
    Brian

    Email Info--
    http://68.1.17.8/p0nykiller/email.htm
    ::..BRIAN..::, Jan 1, 2005
  4. ::..BRIAN..:: wrote:
    > (On 12/31/2004 6:19 PM) David Emerling wrote:
    >
    >> I decided to give Firefox a try. Very nice! Loads pages quicker than
    >> IE. However, it doesn't seem to like playing embedded midi files.
    >>
    >> I went to Tools > Options > Downloads > Plug-Ins
    >>
    >> and noticed that MID isn't even on the list of recognized extensions.
    >> That seems odd since midi's are so common place on web pages.
    >>
    >> How can I get these to play using what I already have installed on my
    >> computer?
    >>
    >> Thanks!

    > I don't think MIDI files on webpages are quite as common as you think.
    >
    > Regardless, it all depends on what tag was used to embed the sound. If
    > the page is using the <bgsound> tag, then it's not going to work since
    > it's not an HTML standard and I believe is only supported by IE. But if
    > the page uses the <object> tag, then it should work with Firefox.
    >
    > I remember seeing an extension a long time ago that dealt with MIDI file
    > <bgsound>s.

    Brian is quite correct about bgsound being MS proprietary code that will
    only work in IE. Its very simple, so a lot of people use it anyway.
    the object tags are the standard, but IE sometimes has a problem with
    it/ The embed tags, while deprecated, do still work in all modern browsers.

    The extension Brian was thinking of is BgSound to Embed:

    http://www.extensionsmirror.nl/index.php?showtopic=369&hl=bgsound

    Lee
    Leonidas Jones, Jan 1, 2005
  5. "Ralph Fox" <-echo.invalid> wrote in
    message news:...
    > On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 23:19:46 GMT, in message
    > <m8lBd.44935$>, David Emerling wrote:
    >
    >> I decided to give Firefox a try. Very nice! Loads pages quicker than IE.
    >> However, it doesn't seem to like playing embedded midi files.
    >>
    >> I went to Tools > Options > Downloads > Plug-Ins

    > Another place to check is, enter this URL into the URL bar
    >
    > about:plugins
    >
    > This gives more detail on the plug-ins.
    >

    >> and noticed that MID isn't even on the list of recognized extensions.
    >> That
    >> seems odd since midi's are so common place on web pages.

    > Evidently Firefox did not bundle a MIDI plug-in.
    >
    > You can still install one yourself. You get to choose a MIDI plug-in
    > which you personally like.
    >

    >> How can I get these to play

    > Download and install a suitable plug-in for MIDI files.
    >
    > There is a choice of plug-ins, so pick one which you like.
    > Personally I use the QuickTime plug-in to play MIDI files, but
    > others prefer a leaner and meaner plug-in.
    >
    > . Popular plug-ins:
    > http://channels.netscape.com/ns/browsers/plugins.jsp
    > . Search for plug-ins:
    > http://channels.netscape.com/ns/browsers/pi_search_pi.jsp
    > . Help for installing plug-ins: http://plugindoc.mozdev.org/
    >
    > Or see the links at the top of the page which appears when you enter
    > about:plugins
    > into the URL bar.
    >

    >> using what I already have installed on my
    >> computer?

    > Does that mean you don't want to install a MIDI plug-in?
    >

    > --
    > Cheers,
    > Ralph

    I guess what I don't understand is that I *already* have Quicktime installed
    on my computer. It works fine in IE. Why should I have to reinstall it order
    for Firefox to recognize it? Can't I just direct the program to the
    location of Quicktime (since it apparently doesn't realize it's installed)?

    David Emerling
    David Emerling, Jan 1, 2005
  6. David Emerling

    Ralph Fox Guest

    On Sat, 01 Jan 2005 19:23:37 GMT, in message
    <ZMCBd.46189$>, David Emerling wrote:

    > "Ralph Fox" <-echo.invalid> wrote in
    > message news:...
    > > On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 23:19:46 GMT, in message
    > > <m8lBd.44935$>, David Emerling wrote:
    > >
    > >> I decided to give Firefox a try. Very nice! Loads pages quicker than IE.
    > >> However, it doesn't seem to like playing embedded midi files.
    > >>
    > >> I went to Tools > Options > Downloads > Plug-Ins

    > > Another place to check is, enter this URL into the URL bar
    > >
    > > about:plugins
    > >
    > > This gives more detail on the plug-ins.
    > >

    > >> and noticed that MID isn't even on the list of recognized extensions.
    > >> That
    > >> seems odd since midi's are so common place on web pages.

    > > Evidently Firefox did not bundle a MIDI plug-in.
    > >
    > > You can still install one yourself. You get to choose a MIDI plug-in
    > > which you personally like.
    > >

    > >> How can I get these to play

    > > Download and install a suitable plug-in for MIDI files.
    > >
    > > There is a choice of plug-ins, so pick one which you like.
    > > Personally I use the QuickTime plug-in to play MIDI files, but
    > > others prefer a leaner and meaner plug-in.
    > >
    > > . Popular plug-ins:
    > > http://channels.netscape.com/ns/browsers/plugins.jsp
    > > . Search for plug-ins:
    > > http://channels.netscape.com/ns/browsers/pi_search_pi.jsp
    > > . Help for installing plug-ins: http://plugindoc.mozdev.org/
    > >
    > > Or see the links at the top of the page which appears when you enter
    > > about:plugins
    > > into the URL bar.
    > >

    > >> using what I already have installed on my
    > >> computer?

    > > Does that mean you don't want to install a MIDI plug-in?
    > >

    > > --
    > > Cheers,
    > > Ralph

    > I guess what I don't understand is that I *already* have Quicktime installed
    > on my computer. It works fine in IE. Why should I have to reinstall it order
    > for Firefox to recognize it? Can't I just direct the program to the
    > location of Quicktime (since it apparently doesn't realize it's installed)?

    1. FIRST: To play MIDI in Mozilla using QuickTime, you need the QuickTime
    plug-in for Netscape (which also works with Firefox).
    1.1 This plug-in is not the same as the stand-alone QuickTime player,
    although they probably share many common components.
    1.2 This plug-in is not the same as the QuickTime plug-in for IE.
    That is because some years ago MS changed the format of plug-in
    that IE used. Evidently
    • The QuickTime plug-in for IE is properly installed;
    • The QuickTime plug-in for Netscape either not installed at all,
    or not installed where Firefox knows about it.

    2. SECOND: Try the following, which may save you from having to
    re-install QuickTime.

    2.1 Go to "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\Plugins" and look for some
    files with names like np*.dll.

    2.2 Copy (don't move) all those np*.dll files to
    "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\plugins".

    2.3 Restart Firefox.

    --
    Cheers,
    Ralph

    "A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine."
    Ralph Fox, Jan 2, 2005
  7. "Ralph Fox" <-echo.invalid> wrote in
    message news:...
    > On Sat, 01 Jan 2005 19:23:37 GMT, in message
    > <ZMCBd.46189$>, David Emerling wrote:
    >

    >> "Ralph Fox" <-echo.invalid> wrote in
    >> message news:...

    >> > Another place to check is, enter this URL into the URL bar
    >> >
    >> > about:plugins
    >> >
    >> > This gives more detail on the plug-ins.

    >> > Evidently Firefox did not bundle a MIDI plug-in.
    >> >
    >> > You can still install one yourself. You get to choose a MIDI plug-in
    >> > which you personally like.

    >> > Download and install a suitable plug-in for MIDI files.
    >> >
    >> > There is a choice of plug-ins, so pick one which you like.
    >> > Personally I use the QuickTime plug-in to play MIDI files, but
    >> > others prefer a leaner and meaner plug-in.
    >> >
    >> > . Popular plug-ins:
    >> > http://channels.netscape.com/ns/browsers/plugins.jsp
    >> > . Search for plug-ins:
    >> > http://channels.netscape.com/ns/browsers/pi_search_pi.jsp
    >> > . Help for installing plug-ins: http://plugindoc.mozdev.org/
    >> >
    >> > Or see the links at the top of the page which appears when you enter
    >> > about:plugins
    >> > into the URL bar.

    >> > Does that mean you don't want to install a MIDI plug-in?
    >> >

    >> > --
    >> > Cheers,
    >> > Ralph

    >> I guess what I don't understand is that I *already* have Quicktime
    >> installed
    >> on my computer. It works fine in IE. Why should I have to reinstall it
    >> order
    >> for Firefox to recognize it? Can't I just direct the program to the
    >> location of Quicktime (since it apparently doesn't realize it's
    >> installed)?

    > 1. FIRST: To play MIDI in Mozilla using QuickTime, you need the
    > QuickTime
    > plug-in for Netscape (which also works with Firefox).
    > 1.1 This plug-in is not the same as the stand-alone QuickTime player,
    > although they probably share many common components.
    > 1.2 This plug-in is not the same as the QuickTime plug-in for IE.
    > That is because some years ago MS changed the format of plug-in
    > that IE used. Evidently
    > . The QuickTime plug-in for IE is properly installed;
    > . The QuickTime plug-in for Netscape either not installed at all,
    > or not installed where Firefox knows about it.
    >
    > 2. SECOND: Try the following, which may save you from having to
    > re-install QuickTime.
    >
    > 2.1 Go to "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\Plugins" and look for some
    > files with names like np*.dll.
    >
    > 2.2 Copy (don't move) all those np*.dll files to
    > "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\plugins".
    >
    > 2.3 Restart Firefox.
    >

    > --
    > Cheers,
    > Ralph

    I tried your SECOND technique only to discover that all the np*.dll files
    that were in C:\Program Files\QuickTime\Plugins already existed in
    C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\Plugins.

    Apparently, Firefox already recognized Quicktime as a plugin for the
    purposes of playing MOV files on webpages. I tried it and works. However, it
    does not recognize Quicktime as a MIDI player. Nor does it recognize
    *anything* as a MIDI player, not even Microsoft Media Player.

    I really don't care *what* it uses to play MIDI's. But, currently, it
    doesn't recognize anything. Further, it doesn't seem as if Firefox is
    configurable enough so that you can designate what application to assign to
    certain file extensions.

    It appears as if I'm going to have to go the reinstall route.

    David Emerling
    Memphis, TN
    David Emerling, Jan 2, 2005