    it not possible to watch HD-DVDs on XP? Does one need a special decoder
    for it?

    Thanks in advance all.

    aloof, Dec 30, 2006

  2. aloof

    Hertz_Donut Guest

    "aloof" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hi all, if this is an FAQ I apologize but I'm struggling to find
    > anything on what I figured would be easy to find answers to. A couple
    > of days ago I purchased a new computer that has an HD-DVD drive (link:
    > http://preview.tinyurl.com/y9apvo). It's a Toshiba SD-H802A.
    >
    > The computer came with Windows Media Center as the OS but I need to use
    > Windows XP Pro on this machine (long and boring story). My question is
    > how does one watch HD-DVD movies on an XP machine? Currently, I'm
    > trying to watch The Bourne Supremacy (disc came with the computer) but
    > when I put it in the drive, Windows says it can't read the
    > disc--something along the lines of it possibly being corrupt, etc. Is
    > it not possible to watch HD-DVDs on XP? Does one need a special decoder
    > for it?
    >
    > Thanks in advance all.

    1. Windows Media Center is based directly on Window XP Professional.

    2. You will need a program such as the latest version of Nero which will
    read HD-DVD and Blu-Ray discs.

    Honu

    Hertz_Donut, Dec 30, 2006

  3. aloof

    aloof Guest

    Thanks Honu.

    > 2. You will need a program such as the latest version of Nero which will
    > read HD-DVD and Blu-Ray discs.

    I actually have Nero 7 Enhanced. When I use Nero Showtime and point it
    to my HDDVD drive with the disc in it I get an error: "The drive is not
    ready."

    This makes me think it's got something to do with the way the drive is
    configured. Unfortunately, I can't find a driver for it on the Toshiba
    site so I'm not sure how else to tweak it in anyway that might end up
    yielding something that works. It did work prior to formatting and
    going from MCE to XP Pro, so I know it works at one point and that the
    movie's disc works but no dice since then.

    Anyone else have any ideas or experiences? Thanks!

    aloof, Dec 30, 2006
  4. aloof

    JoeBloe Guest

    On Fri, 29 Dec 2006 22:08:14 -1000, "Hertz_Donut"
    <> Gave us:

    >"aloof" <> wrote in message
    >> Hi all, if this is an FAQ I apologize but I'm struggling to find
    >> anything on what I figured would be easy to find answers to. A couple
    >> of days ago I purchased a new computer that has an HD-DVD drive (link:
    >> http://preview.tinyurl.com/y9apvo). It's a Toshiba SD-H802A.
    >>
    >> The computer came with Windows Media Center as the OS but I need to use
    >> Windows XP Pro on this machine (long and boring story). My question is
    >> how does one watch HD-DVD movies on an XP machine? Currently, I'm
    >> trying to watch The Bourne Supremacy (disc came with the computer) but
    >> when I put it in the drive, Windows says it can't read the
    >> disc--something along the lines of it possibly being corrupt, etc. Is
    >> it not possible to watch HD-DVDs on XP? Does one need a special decoder
    >> for it?
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance all.
    >>

    >1. Windows Media Center is based directly on Window XP Professional.
    >
    >2. You will need a program such as the latest version of Nero which will
    >read HD-DVD and Blu-Ray discs.

    If the disc CAME with the computer that has the HD reader, the app
    to play should already be on the computer as well.

    JoeBloe, Dec 30, 2006
  5. JoeBloe wrote:

    > On Fri, 29 Dec 2006 22:08:14 -1000, "Hertz_Donut"
    > <> Gave us:
    >
    >>1. Windows Media Center is based directly on Window XP Professional.
    >>
    >>2. You will need a program such as the latest version of Nero which will
    >>read HD-DVD and Blu-Ray discs.

    > If the disc CAME with the computer that has the HD reader, the app
    > to play should already be on the computer as well.

    No, you're thinking of Apple. Windows makes you go look for your own
    DVD players.

    Derek Janssen (so, like...there are computer companies that DON'T give
    you everything in the box?) :)

    Derek Janssen, Dec 30, 2006
  6. aloof

    JoeBloe Guest

    On Sat, 30 Dec 2006 14:42:29 -0500, Derek Janssen
    <> Gave us:

    >JoeBloe wrote:
    >
    >> On Fri, 29 Dec 2006 22:08:14 -1000, "Hertz_Donut"
    >> <> Gave us:
    >>
    >>>1. Windows Media Center is based directly on Window XP Professional.
    >>>
    >>>2. You will need a program such as the latest version of Nero which will
    >>>read HD-DVD and Blu-Ray discs.

    >> If the disc CAME with the computer that has the HD reader, the app
    >> to play should already be on the computer as well.

    >No, you're thinking of Apple. Windows makes you go look for your own
    >DVD players.

    It has nothing to do with the OS at all.

    It is a pre-package, pre-assembled PC. It CAME with the movie, and
    an HD DVD reader.

    The company, or PC shop or whatever that pre-packaged it should have
    made it capable of actually delivering what it promised.

    It is really that simple.

    JoeBloe, Dec 30, 2006
  7. aloof

    lnh Guest

    Go to AVS Forums. They have a long tutorial on burning HD DVDs and in
    the process of doing that they talk about getting them to play on PCs.
    It's not easy...

    lnh, Dec 31, 2006
  8. aloof

    Guest

    JoeBloe wrote:
    > On Sat, 30 Dec 2006 14:42:29 -0500, Derek Janssen
    > <> Gave us:
    >
    > >JoeBloe wrote:
    > >
    > >> On Fri, 29 Dec 2006 22:08:14 -1000, "Hertz_Donut"
    > >> <> Gave us:

    > >> If the disc CAME with the computer that has the HD reader, the app
    > >> to play should already be on the computer as well.

    > >No, you're thinking of Apple. Windows makes you go look for your own
    > >DVD players.

    > It has nothing to do with the OS at all.
    >
    > It is a pre-package, pre-assembled PC. It CAME with the movie, and
    > an HD DVD reader.
    >
    > The company, or PC shop or whatever that pre-packaged it should have
    > made it capable of actually delivering what it promised.
    >
    > It is really that simple.

    Actually the company, or PC shop or whatever DID make it capable of
    actually delivering what it promised until "you" formatted it and
    replaced the properly configured Windows Media Center (successor to
    WinXP Pro) for an older version of the Operating System, which
    obviously lacks the capability to use an HD-DVD drive. I suggest you
    dig up the CD or DVD-ROM (more likely) that came with your PC and do a
    reinstall.

    , Dec 31, 2006
  9. aloof

    Guest

    wrote:
    > JoeBloe wrote:
    > > On Sat, 30 Dec 2006 14:42:29 -0500, Derek Janssen
    > > <> Gave us:

    > > >No, you're thinking of Apple. Windows makes you go look for your own
    > > >DVD players.

    > > It has nothing to do with the OS at all.
    > >
    > > It is a pre-package, pre-assembled PC. It CAME with the movie, and
    > > an HD DVD reader.
    > >
    > > The company, or PC shop or whatever that pre-packaged it should have
    > > made it capable of actually delivering what it promised.
    > >
    > > It is really that simple.

    > Actually the company, or PC shop or whatever DID make it capable of
    > actually delivering what it promised until "you" formatted it and
    > replaced the properly configured Windows Media Center (successor to
    > WinXP Pro) for an older version of the Operating System, which
    > obviously lacks the capability to use an HD-DVD drive. I suggest you
    > dig up the CD or DVD-ROM (more likely) that came with your PC and do a
    > reinstall.

    Sorry I meant "you" as in the original poster not you JoeBloe.

    , Dec 31, 2006
  10. "aloof" <> wrote in message
    > Hi all, if this is an FAQ I apologize but I'm struggling to find
    > anything on what I figured would be easy to find answers to. A couple
    > of days ago I purchased a new computer that has an HD-DVD drive (link:
    > http://preview.tinyurl.com/y9apvo). It's a Toshiba SD-H802A.
    >
    > The computer came with Windows Media Center as the OS but I need to use
    > Windows XP Pro on this machine (long and boring story). My question is
    > how does one watch HD-DVD movies on an XP machine? Currently, I'm
    > trying to watch The Bourne Supremacy (disc came with the computer) but
    > when I put it in the drive, Windows says it can't read the
    > disc--something along the lines of it possibly being corrupt, etc. Is
    > it not possible to watch HD-DVDs on XP? Does one need a special decoder
    > for it?
    >
    > Thanks in advance all.

    The software to play HD-DVD was most likely an OEM version locked to the
    original Windows Media Centre operating system. When you formatted the HD
    and installed XP Pro that's most likely the problem. You will somehow have
    to get the version of Nero that came with the WMC OS or find a patch and
    driver.

    Little Red Hen, Dec 31, 2006
  11. aloof

    JoeBloe Guest

    On Sun, 31 Dec 2006 05:01:30 GMT, lnh <> Gave us:

    >Go to AVS Forums. They have a long tutorial on burning HD DVDs and in
    >the process of doing that they talk about getting them to play on PCs.
    >It's not easy...

    Top posting retard!

    The discussion is about getting a PRESSED studio disc to play.

    Fucktard pirate mentality, top posting Usenet retarded dipshit.

    JoeBloe, Dec 31, 2006
  12. aloof

    JoeBloe Guest

    On 30 Dec 2006 21:08:54 -0800, Gave us:

    "I" didn't format anything, you retarded ****.

    > I suggest you
    >dig up the CD or DVD-ROM (more likely) that came with your PC and do a
    >reinstall.

    I suggest you learn how to read a thread, and make your response to
    the proper point in said thread, and to the proper person.

    JoeBloe, Dec 31, 2006
  13. aloof

    JoeBloe Guest

    On 30 Dec 2006 21:11:13 -0800, Gave us:

    > wrote:
    >> JoeBloe wrote:
    >> > On Sat, 30 Dec 2006 14:42:29 -0500, Derek Janssen
    >> > <> Gave us:

    >> > It has nothing to do with the OS at all.
    >> >
    >> > It is a pre-package, pre-assembled PC. It CAME with the movie, and
    >> > an HD DVD reader.
    >> >
    >> > The company, or PC shop or whatever that pre-packaged it should have
    >> > made it capable of actually delivering what it promised.
    >> >
    >> > It is really that simple.

    >> Actually the company, or PC shop or whatever DID make it capable of
    >> actually delivering what it promised until "you" formatted it and
    >> replaced the properly configured Windows Media Center (successor to
    >> WinXP Pro) for an older version of the Operating System, which
    >> obviously lacks the capability to use an HD-DVD drive. I suggest you
    >> dig up the CD or DVD-ROM (more likely) that came with your PC and do a
    >> reinstall.

    >Sorry I meant "you" as in the original poster not you JoeBloe.

    Yeah... whatever.

    JoeBloe, Dec 31, 2006
  14. aloof

    STINGER Guest

    "JoeBloe" <> wrote in message
    > On 30 Dec 2006 21:08:54 -0800, Gave us:
    >

    > >JoeBloe wrote:
    > >> On Sat, 30 Dec 2006 14:42:29 -0500, Derek Janssen
    > >> <> Gave us:

    will

    > >> It has nothing to do with the OS at all.
    > >>
    > >> It is a pre-package, pre-assembled PC. It CAME with the movie, and
    > >> an HD DVD reader.
    > >>
    > >> The company, or PC shop or whatever that pre-packaged it should have
    > >> made it capable of actually delivering what it promised.
    > >>
    > >> It is really that simple.

    > >Actually the company, or PC shop or whatever DID make it capable of
    > >actually delivering what it promised until "you" formatted it and
    > >replaced the properly configured Windows Media Center (successor to
    > >WinXP Pro) for an older version of the Operating System, which
    > >obviously lacks the capability to use an HD-DVD drive.

    > "I" didn't format anything, you retarded ****.
    >
    > > I suggest you
    > >dig up the CD or DVD-ROM (more likely) that came with your PC and do a
    > >reinstall.

    > I suggest you learn how to read a thread, and make your response to
    > the proper point in said thread, and to the proper person.

    and you which responds saying that if it came with a hd player should be
    able to play hd dvd
    DID NOT read the ariginal post of how he did a reinstall back to winxp pro
    so before you go on ranting how he should have read and responded properly
    .... maybe you should have read the post entirely as well ...

    so joebloe you can bloe more than joe before you respond to anyone !

    STINGER, Dec 31, 2006
  15. aloof

    Company Man Guest

    <> wrote in message

    > wrote:
    >> JoeBloe wrote:
    >> > On Sat, 30 Dec 2006 14:42:29 -0500, Derek Janssen
    >> > <> Gave us:

    >> > It has nothing to do with the OS at all.
    >> >
    >> > It is a pre-package, pre-assembled PC. It CAME with the movie,
    >> > and
    >> > an HD DVD reader.
    >> >
    >> > The company, or PC shop or whatever that pre-packaged it should
    >> > have
    >> > made it capable of actually delivering what it promised.
    >> >
    >> > It is really that simple.

    >> Actually the company, or PC shop or whatever DID make it capable of
    >> actually delivering what it promised until "you" formatted it and
    >> replaced the properly configured Windows Media Center (successor to
    >> WinXP Pro) for an older version of the Operating System, which
    >> obviously lacks the capability to use an HD-DVD drive. I suggest
    >> you
    >> dig up the CD or DVD-ROM (more likely) that came with your PC and
    >> do a
    >> reinstall.

    > Sorry I meant "you" as in the original poster not you JoeBloe.

    Install the UDF support patch. See if that helps.

    Company Man, Dec 31, 2006
  16. aloof

    aloof Guest

    Wow, quite the passionate group I posted to here. :)

    Anyway, Company Man was right (though I figured it out prior to his
    post). What I needed to install was the UDF 2.5 file system driver on
    the machine so Windows could recognize the files on the HD-DVD disc. I
    was able to find one on the web and that seems to have made Windows
    happy with it (e.g. Explorer now shows the name of the movie when it's
    in the drive, I can browse the directories/files, etc.).

    To answer some of the things people mentioned above:

    > No, you're thinking of Apple. Windows makes you go look for your own
    > DVD players.

    It's not actually Windows to blame here. Windows XP came out way before
    UDF 2.5 was defined so I can't fault it for not coming with the driver.
    Vista actually comes with support natively it seems. So when I upgrade
    I should be fine there.

    Also, I also have a MacBook Pro which I really like but I hadn't yet
    heard of any Macs that came with HD-DVD drives. Maybe I've just missed
    them.

    > (so, like...there are computer companies that DON'T give
    > you everything in the box?) :)

    It's because I chose to flatten the box that I got myself into this. I
    realized this prior to doing it. The unfortunate part is that HP (the
    maker of the machine I purchased) doesn't provide you with actual
    Windows install disc. It instead gives you "recovery discs" which force
    you to install it their way. I have my reasons for needing pure XP
    though, if I didn't I'd certainly be running MCE.

    > Actually the company, or PC shop or whatever DID make it capable of
    > actually delivering what it promised until "you" formatted it and
    > replaced the properly configured Windows Media Center (successor to
    > WinXP Pro) for an older version of the Operating System, which
    > obviously lacks the capability to use an HD-DVD drive.

    It's a drivers thing in this case, not an OS thing. Media Center
    doesn't have some native ability to play HD-DVD discs that XP doesn't
    provided you have the right drivers.

    Also, note I'm not really blaming the "company" for what I did. It
    would be nice if they'd have the proper drivers available on their
    website instead of only giving you the option of making your own
    recovery discs. However, I am not in agreement with anyone who expects
    my machine to never be formatted as that's just naive and unrealistic.
    It's even funnier given how the machine came with all sorts of papers
    informing me of how it was Vista ready and how to join the Vista
    upgrade process but the one support rep I spoke to was saying how they
    do not support formatting the machine or upgrading it's OS to any other
    OS.

    In the end, I'm fine with it all as it's easy enough to figure out the
    manufacturer of each component, head to their web site, and
    download/install the appropriate driver. This is what I end up doing
    each time I get a new machine (especially when I build it myself)
    anyway.

    Anyway, thanks to everyone for the help including the folks afflicted
    by what seems to be some sort of usenet rage.

    aloof, Dec 31, 2006
  17. aloof wrote:

    >>No, you're thinking of Apple. Windows makes you go look for your own
    >>DVD players.

    > It's not actually Windows to blame here. Windows XP came out way before
    > UDF 2.5 was defined so I can't fault it for not coming with the driver.
    > Vista actually comes with support natively it seems. So when I upgrade
    > I should be fine there.
    >
    > Also, I also have a MacBook Pro which I really like but I hadn't yet
    > heard of any Macs that came with HD-DVD drives. Maybe I've just missed
    > them.

    Heard it's the focus of next year's OSX 10.5 model, but we're waiting
    for next spring's announcement like everybody else--
    When we finally find out whether Apple is going for Blu or Both.

    > Anyway, thanks to everyone for the help including the folks afflicted
    > by what seems to be some sort of usenet rage.

    (What, the 12-yo. "retard" guy?--Yeah, we have to keep telling newbies
    to killfile him, but we'll keep you posted with upgrades when he changes
    his screenname every two months.)

    Derek Janssen (at least you get THAT free with the AVD license) :)

    Derek Janssen, Dec 31, 2006
  18. aloof

    JoeBloe Guest

    On 31 Dec 2006 11:03:39 -0800, "aloof" <> Gave us:

> [...]

    >recovery discs. However, I am not in agreement with anyone who expects
    >my machine to never be formatted as that's just naive and unrealistic.
    >It's even funnier given how the machine came with all sorts of papers
    >informing me of how it was Vista ready and how to join the Vista
    >upgrade process but the one support rep I spoke to was saying how they
    >do not support formatting the machine or upgrading it's OS to any other
    >OS.
    >
    >In the end, I'm fine with it all as it's easy enough to figure out the
    >manufacturer of each component, head to their web site, and
    >download/install the appropriate driver. This is what I end up doing
    >each time I get a new machine (especially when I build it myself)
    >anyway.
    >
    >Anyway, thanks to everyone for the help including the folks afflicted
    >by what seems to be some sort of usenet rage.

    Great response. You are probably smarter than a lot of those that
    answered.

    JoeBloe, Jan 1, 2007
  19. aloof

    JoeBloe Guest

    On Sun, 31 Dec 2006 14:15:38 -0500, Derek Janssen
    <> Gave us:

    >aloof wrote:
    >>
    >>>No, you're thinking of Apple. Windows makes you go look for your own
    >>>DVD players.

    >> It's not actually Windows to blame here. Windows XP came out way before
    >> UDF 2.5 was defined so I can't fault it for not coming with the driver.
    >> Vista actually comes with support natively it seems. So when I upgrade
    >> I should be fine there.
    >>
    >> Also, I also have a MacBook Pro which I really like but I hadn't yet
    >> heard of any Macs that came with HD-DVD drives. Maybe I've just missed
    >> them.

    >Heard it's the focus of next year's OSX 10.5 model, but we're waiting
    >for next spring's announcement like everybody else--
    >When we finally find out whether Apple is going for Blu or Both.
    >
    >> Anyway, thanks to everyone for the help including the folks afflicted
    >> by what seems to be some sort of usenet rage.

    >(What, the 12-yo. "retard" guy?--Yeah, we have to keep telling newbies
    >to killfile him, but we'll keep you posted with upgrades when he changes
    >his screenname every two months.)

    Said the retard that hasn't killfiled anyone.

    JoeBloe, Jan 1, 2007
  20. In <> JoeBloe <> writes:

    >On Sun, 31 Dec 2006 14:15:38 -0500, Derek Janssen
    ><> Gave us:

    >>> It's not actually Windows to blame here. Windows XP came out way before
    >>> UDF 2.5 was defined so I can't fault it for not coming with the driver.
    >>> Vista actually comes with support natively it seems. So when I upgrade
    >>> I should be fine there.
    >>>
    >>> Also, I also have a MacBook Pro which I really like but I hadn't yet
    >>> heard of any Macs that came with HD-DVD drives. Maybe I've just missed
    >>> them.

    >>Heard it's the focus of next year's OSX 10.5 model, but we're waiting
    >>for next spring's announcement like everybody else--
    >>When we finally find out whether Apple is going for Blu or Both.
    >>
    >>> Anyway, thanks to everyone for the help including the folks afflicted
    >>> by what seems to be some sort of usenet rage.

    >>(What, the 12-yo. "retard" guy?--Yeah, we have to keep telling newbies
    >>to killfile him, but we'll keep you posted with upgrades when he changes
    >>his screenname every two months.)
    >>

    > Said the retard that hasn't killfiled anyone.

    Why killfile? Reading your unmedicated rants is very entertaining and
    almost always good for a few laughs.

    Keep it up Joe, or Roy, or whatever you call yourself.
    --
    Colin McFadyen - Systems Support -
    Carleton University Computing and Communications Services

    Colin McFadyen, Jan 2, 2007