    it does not work. Anybody know what the
    solution is?

    Thanks.
    Joe, Dec 12, 2007

  2. Joe

    Unruh Guest

    Joe <> writes:

    >Hi all,

    >I've been having a heck of a time getting any
    >normal encrypted DVDs to play under Linux,
    >either with Xine or Mplayer. I've installed all the
    >necessary libraries like dvdread and still,
    >it does not work. Anybody know what the
    >solution is?

    You MUST install libdvdcss to decrypt the dvd.
    It does not come with any distro, since distribution is illegal in the USA
    of this library under DMCA.

    Unruh, Dec 12, 2007

  3. Joe

    Joe Guest

    > You MUST install libdvdcss to decrypt the dvd.
    > It does not come with any distro, since distribution is illegal in the USA
    > of this library under DMCA.

    Yes, there are many unconstitutional laws in the USA, even ones that
    let corporations steal the rights of citizens and sell them back at a
    fee.

    But the libdvdcss I tried doesn't work. Have you a better URL?
    Joe, Dec 12, 2007
  4. Joe

    Guest

    Joe <> did eloquently scribble:
    > Hi all,

    > I've been having a heck of a time getting any
    > normal encrypted DVDs to play under Linux,
    > either with Xine or Mplayer. I've installed all the
    > necessary libraries like dvdread and still,
    > it does not work. Anybody know what the
    > solution is?

    dvdread?
    What about dvdcss?
    That's the important one for encrypted.
    | | |
    , Dec 13, 2007
  5. Joe

    Guest

    Joe <> did eloquently scribble:

    >> You MUST install libdvdcss to decrypt the dvd.
    >> It does not come with any distro, since distribution is illegal in the USA
    >> of this library under DMCA.

    > Yes, there are many unconstitutional laws in the USA, even ones that
    > let corporations steal the rights of citizens and sell them back at a
    > fee.

    > But the libdvdcss I tried doesn't work. Have you a better URL?

    Try downloading the source of MPlayer and the libdvdnav, dvdread and dvdcss
    dev files and compiling Mplayer. Maybe the Mplayer you have was compiled
    without libdvdcss support.
    | | "Are you pondering what I'm pondering Pinky?" |
    |Andrew Halliwell BSc(hons)| |
    , Dec 13, 2007
  6. Joe

    Doug Laidlaw Guest

    wrote:

    >> Yes, there are many unconstitutional laws in the USA, even ones that
    >> let corporations steal the rights of citizens and sell them back at a
    >> fee.

    They call it "opportunity for the individual" Gates is the perfect example
    of the philosophy. There is another one in a different discipline.

    Doug L.
    Glad to be an Aussie.
    Doug Laidlaw, Dec 13, 2007
  7. On Wed, 12 Dec 2007 22:16:19 GMT, Unruh <>
    wrote:

    >Joe <> writes:
    >
    >>Hi all,

    >>I've been having a heck of a time getting any
    >>normal encrypted DVDs to play under Linux,
    >>either with Xine or Mplayer. I've installed all the
    >>necessary libraries like dvdread and still,
    >>it does not work. Anybody know what the
    >>solution is?

    >You MUST install libdvdcss to decrypt the dvd.
    >It does not come with any distro, since distribution is illegal in the USA
    >of this library under DMCA.

    That should read "any US based distro". The library is available, just
    not as easy to get as it used to be.

    mplayer under the PS3 with the right apps, libs and gear (an Xbox 360
    HD DVD drive) will play HD DVD discs ON a PS3! Right now. There are
    lists of keys available that get updated as each title comes out.

    There is a how to on the PSUbuntu site, and the Linux kernel now has
    the UDF file system tucked into it.
    ChairmanOfTheBored, Dec 13, 2007
  8. On Thu, 13 Dec 2007 00:27:36 +0000, wrote:

    >Joe <> did eloquently scribble:
    >
    >>> You MUST install libdvdcss to decrypt the dvd.
    >>> It does not come with any distro, since distribution is illegal in the USA
    >>> of this library under DMCA.

    >> Yes, there are many unconstitutional laws in the USA, even ones that
    >> let corporations steal the rights of citizens and sell them back at a
    >> fee.

    >> But the libdvdcss I tried doesn't work. Have you a better URL?

    >Try downloading the source of MPlayer and the libdvdnav, dvdread and dvdcss
    >dev files and compiling Mplayer. Maybe the Mplayer you have was compiled
    >without libdvdcss support.

    Use SVN (subversion)
    ChairmanOfTheBored, Dec 13, 2007
  9. Joe <> wrote:

    > But the libdvdcss I tried doesn't work. Have you a better URL?

    libdvdcss is part of the VideoLAN <http://www.videolan.org/> project

    Florian
    --
    <http://www.florian-diesch.de/>
    Florian Diesch, Dec 13, 2007
  10. Joe

    Unruh Guest

    ChairmanOfTheBored <> writes:

    >On Wed, 12 Dec 2007 22:16:19 GMT, Unruh <>
    >wrote:

    >>Joe <> writes:
    >>
    >>>Hi all,

    >>>I've been having a heck of a time getting any
    >>>normal encrypted DVDs to play under Linux,
    >>>either with Xine or Mplayer. I've installed all the
    >>>necessary libraries like dvdread and still,
    >>>it does not work. Anybody know what the
    >>>solution is?

    >>You MUST install libdvdcss to decrypt the dvd.
    >>It does not come with any distro, since distribution is illegal in the USA
    >>of this library under DMCA.
    >>

    > That should read "any US based distro". The library is available, just
    >not as easy to get as it used to be.

    No, any distro, since all want to be able to distribute in the USA and have
    a presense in the USA. That presence would be enough to get them arrested
    next time their officers visited the USA.

    Unruh, Dec 13, 2007
  11. On Thu, 13 Dec 2007 16:26:54 GMT, Unruh <>
    wrote:

    >ChairmanOfTheBored <> writes:
    >
    >>On Wed, 12 Dec 2007 22:16:19 GMT, Unruh <>
    >>wrote:

    >>>You MUST install libdvdcss to decrypt the dvd.
    >>>It does not come with any distro, since distribution is illegal in the USA
    >>>of this library under DMCA.
    >>>

    >> That should read "any US based distro". The library is available, just
    >>not as easy to get as it used to be.

    >No, any distro, since all want to be able to distribute in the USA and have
    >a presense in the USA. That presence would be enough to get them arrested
    >next time their officers visited the USA.

    Officers? You're an idiot. I'll bet that Knopper has never been here.
    I'll bet there are several distro makers that have never been to the US
    nor ever plan to be here.

    You really are retarded as it relates to the internet and what is
    available, eh?
    ChairmanOfTheBored, Dec 14, 2007