Playing DVD's on a PC. What free software / codecs reccomended?

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Mike Barnard, Apr 29, 2004.

  1. Mike Barnard

    Mike Barnard Guest

    Hi.

    Newbie here.

    Just got a DVD player for the PC but when I try to play a dvd ("The
    History of the TT" by Duke) it says it needs a codec. I can find pay
    sites to buy a codec, including microsoft, of loads of ads for free
    stuff if you buy something else,but so far no standalone dvd codecs.

    So, what do you reccomend? Using a Phillips DVD player rewriter on XP
    pro, 1 gig memory and AMD3200+.

    Thanks.

    --
    Regards from Mike Barnard
    South Coast, UK.

    [To reply by email remove ".trousers" spamtrap from email address]
    Mike Barnard, Apr 29, 2004

  2. Mike Barnard

    Biz Guest

    Mike Barnard wrote:

    > Hi.
    >
    > Newbie here.
    >
    > Just got a DVD player for the PC but when I try to play a dvd ("The
    > History of the TT" by Duke) it says it needs a codec. I can find pay
    > sites to buy a codec, including microsoft, of loads of ads for free
    > stuff if you buy something else,but so far no standalone dvd codecs.
    >
    > So, what do you reccomend? Using a Phillips DVD player rewriter on XP
    > pro, 1 gig memory and AMD3200+.
    >
    > Thanks.

    MPEG2 is not a free technology, legally you *HAVE* to pay for it. Buy a
    cheap copy of WinDVD or PowerDVD
    Biz, Apr 30, 2004

  3. Mike Barnard

    Galley Guest

    On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 22:42:39 +0100, Mike Barnard
    <> spewed forth these words of wisdom:

    >Hi.
    >
    >Newbie here.
    >
    >Just got a DVD player for the PC but when I try to play a dvd ("The
    >History of the TT" by Duke) it says it needs a codec. I can find pay
    >sites to buy a codec, including microsoft, of loads of ads for free
    >stuff if you buy something else,but so far no standalone dvd codecs.
    >
    >So, what do you reccomend? Using a Phillips DVD player rewriter on XP
    >pro, 1 gig memory and AMD3200+.
    >
    >Thanks.

    Your DVD drive should have come with software; most likely PowerDVD or WinDVD.
    Most multimedia apps such as RealPlayer 10 can play DVDs, but they require the
    codecs installed by the DVD software.

    --
    Save Pepsi Blue!
    Help save our beloved beverage
    Galley, Apr 30, 2004
  4. "Mike Barnard" <> wrote in message
    > Hi.
    >
    > Newbie here.
    >
    > Just got a DVD player for the PC but when I try to play a dvd ("The
    > History of the TT" by Duke) it says it needs a codec. I can find pay
    > sites to buy a codec, including microsoft, of loads of ads for free
    > stuff if you buy something else,but so far no standalone dvd codecs.
    >
    > So, what do you reccomend? Using a Phillips DVD player rewriter on XP
    > pro, 1 gig memory and AMD3200+.

    Update your Windows media Player to version 8 or 9. Both play DVD's. The
    microsoft site only does version 9, but my personal opinion (FWIW) is that 8
    is better.

    Ian.
    The Electric Fan Club, Apr 30, 2004
  5. On Fri, 30 Apr 2004 02:22:51 +0000, Biz wrote:

    > MPEG2 is not a free technology, legally you *HAVE* to pay for it. Buy a
    > cheap copy of WinDVD or PowerDVD

    Huh? Where did this come from? MPEG2 is a video compression standard;
    I could write a codec for it and give it away... You don't *have* to pay
    for it; just dump M$ Windows altogether and get mplayer. (Search for it; I
    am feeling ornery enough not to post the URL.)

    --Kamus

    --
    o__ | May your trails be dim, lonesome, stony, narrow, winding and
    ,>/'_ | only slightly uphill. May the wind bring rain for the slickrock
    | May God's dog serenade your campfire, may the rattlesnake and
    o | the screech owl amuse your reveries, may the Great Sun dazzle
    >[] | your eyes by day and the Great Bear watch over you at night.

    /\ |
    \ \ | - Edward Abbey, Beyond the Wall
    Kamus of Kadizhar, Apr 30, 2004
  6. Mike Barnard

    Pug Fugley Guest

    Download Windows Media Player 9.

    Pug Fugley, Apr 30, 2004
  7. Mike Barnard

    Bill Guest

    > Update your Windows media Player to version 8 or 9. Both play DVD's. The
    > microsoft site only does version 9, but my personal opinion (FWIW) is that

    8
    > is better.
    >
    > Ian.

    Windows Media Player plays DVDs beautifully, but it doesn't come with an
    MPEG-2 decoder for licensing reasons. If you have other DVD playback
    software currently installed, Windows Media Player is using the codec
    installed by that software:

    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/windowsxp/dvdplay.aspx
    Bill, Apr 30, 2004
  8. Mike Barnard

    Mike Barnard Guest

    On Fri, 30 Apr 2004 02:22:51 GMT, Biz <> wrote:

    >MPEG2 is not a free technology, legally you *HAVE* to pay for it. Buy a
    >cheap copy of WinDVD or PowerDVD

    Wot Kamus said.

    Mike Barnard, Apr 30, 2004
  9. Mike Barnard

    Mike Barnard Guest

    On Fri, 30 Apr 2004 05:34:49 -0400, Kamus of Kadizhar
    <> wrote:

    >mplayer

    Thanks, but I'm not going to learn a new OS just for that.

    Mike Barnard, Apr 30, 2004
  10. Mike Barnard

    Mike Barnard Guest

    On Fri, 30 Apr 2004 05:45:36 GMT, Galley
    <> wrote:

    >Your DVD drive should have come with software; most likely PowerDVD or WinDVD.
    >Most multimedia apps such as RealPlayer 10 can play DVDs, but they require the
    >codecs installed by the DVD software.

    Thats what comes of getting the cheaper OEM version I guess. :/
    Thanks anyway.

    Mike Barnard, Apr 30, 2004
  11. Mike Barnard

    Mike Barnard Guest

    On Fri, 30 Apr 2004 10:12:34 +0100, "The Electric Fan Club"
    <> wrote:

    >Update your Windows media Player to version 8 or 9. Both play DVD's. The

    Aleady there, but no codec for DVD's.

    Mike Barnard, Apr 30, 2004
  12. Mike Barnard

    Mike Barnard Guest

    On Fri, 30 Apr 2004 21:11:09 GMT, "Bill" <> wrote:
    >Windows Media Player plays DVDs beautifully, but it doesn't come with an

    Nice to know.

    >MPEG-2 decoder for licensing reasons. If you have other DVD playback

    Don't I know.

    >software currently installed, Windows Media Player is using the codec
    >installed by that software:
    >
    >http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/windowsxp/dvdplay.aspx

    Seen that site already, but thanks. $15 isn't a lot to spend I
    supose.

    Mike Barnard, Apr 30, 2004
  13. Mike Barnard

    Mike Barnard Guest

    On Fri, 30 Apr 2004 18:18:20 GMT, "Pug Fugley" <>
    wrote:

    >Download Windows Media Player 9.

    See above.

    Mike Barnard, Apr 30, 2004
  14. On Fri, 30 Apr 2004 23:11:03 +0100, Mike Barnard wrote:

    >>mplayer

    > Thanks, but I'm not going to learn a new OS just for that.

    Yeah, I wouldn't either.... But considering that mplayer can also copy
    DVDs to avis and break out subtitles and a whole bunch of other stuff,
    the effort may be worth it....

    Although DVD navigation is still broken in linux..... It all depends on
    what you want.

    --Kamus

    Kamus of Kadizhar, Apr 30, 2004
  15. Mike Barnard

    Mark W Guest

    > On Fri, 30 Apr 2004 18:18:20 GMT, "Pug Fugley" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >Download Windows Media Player 9.

    > See above.
    >
    > --
    > Regards from Mike Barnard
    > South Coast, UK.
    >
    > [To reply by email remove ".trousers" spamtrap from email address]

    You could try getting one of the 'trial' versions of PowerDVD or similar,
    then don't use it, use Windows Media Player instead. I am not sure if the
    codec will be disabled when the trial period runs out, but maybe it is worth
    a try.
    Mark W, May 1, 2004
  16. Mike Barnard

    Biz Guest

    "Mark W" <s@o> wrote in message

    I am not sure if the codec will be disabled when the trial period runs out,
    but maybe it is worth
    | a try.

    | Yes it will be. YOu will have to buy an mpeg-2 capable program or codec
    set.
    Biz, May 1, 2004
  17. "Mark W" <s@o> wrote in message

    > "Mike Barnard" <> wrote in message
    > > On Fri, 30 Apr 2004 18:18:20 GMT, "Pug Fugley" <>
    > > wrote:
    > >
    > > >Download Windows Media Player 9.

    > > See above.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Regards from Mike Barnard
    > > South Coast, UK.
    > >
    > > [To reply by email remove ".trousers" spamtrap from email address]

    > You could try getting one of the 'trial' versions of PowerDVD or similar,
    > then don't use it, use Windows Media Player instead. I am not sure if the
    > codec will be disabled when the trial period runs out, but maybe it is

    worth
    > a try.

    I've downloaded DVD X Player Pro and whilst the playback software is time
    limited by 30 days/20 minute playback - The codec isn't and I can use
    Windows Media Player to play DVD's.
    Stephen Clark, May 1, 2004
  18. Mike Barnard

    Mike Barnard Guest

    On Sat, 1 May 2004 19:51:48 +0100, "Stephen Clark"
    <> wrote:

    >I've downloaded DVD X Player Pro and whilst the playback software is time
    >limited by 30 days/20 minute playback - The codec isn't and I can use
    >Windows Media Player to play DVD's.

    Hmmm, I'm off to try that trick now. Ta very much, work or not.

    Mike Barnard, May 2, 2004
  19. Mike Barnard

    luminos Guest

    "Kamus of Kadizhar" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 30 Apr 2004 02:22:51 +0000, Biz wrote:
    >

    > > MPEG2 is not a free technology, legally you *HAVE* to pay for it. Buy a
    > > cheap copy of WinDVD or PowerDVD

    > Huh? Where did this come from? MPEG2 is a video compression standard;

    That does not make it free. The basic concepts are patented and copyright.

    > I could write a codec for it and give it away...

    No.

    >You don't *have* to pay

    Yes.

    luminos, May 2, 2004