    Any solutions?

    Thank you!

    Jim

    Jim, May 1, 2008

  2. Jim

    Allan Guest

    "Jim" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I settled down to watch my first Blu-ray disc in x64, and I failed
    > miserably. I noticed Corel WinDVD has a new version for Blu-ray, so I
    > bought it (even though the test was uncertain about my operating
    > system and equipment). Sure enough, it locks up and does not work.
    >
    > Any solutions?

    Return Corel WinDVD and ask for your money back.

    --
    Allan

    Allan, May 1, 2008

  3. Jim

    Jim Guest

    On May 1, 2:04 pm, "Allan" <> wrote:
    > "Jim" <> wrote in message

    > Return Corel WinDVD and ask for your money back.

    Alan,

    Thank you! I think I'll do that. BTW, I added one revision. I meant
    version 9.0, which is the latest version.

    Jim

    Jim, May 2, 2008
  4. Jim

    John Adams Guest

    I'm using PowerDVD on Vista x64 and I can watch Blu-Ray just fine.

    Be SURE that you have a compatible system before you blame the software.
    You MUST have a video card AND monitor that support HDCP and they must be
    connected through either DVI or HDMI. Blu-Ray requires this setup in order
    to play.

    - John

    John Adams, May 2, 2008
  5. Jim

    Jim Guest

    On May 2, 12:17 am, "John Adams" <> wrote:

    > I'm using PowerDVD on Vista x64 and I can watch Blu-Ray just fine.
    >
    > Be SURE that you have a compatible system before you blame the software.
    > You MUST have a video card AND monitor that support HDCP and they must be
    > connected through either DVI or HDMI.  Blu-Ray requires this setup in order
    > to play.

    John,

    I am suspecting my monitor and my CPU. I have an nVidia 8800 GTX
    video card, so I do no think that is the problem. I have a Samsung
    SyncMaster 243T monitor, which is 24" at 1920 X 12000. It is a fairly
    old monitor, and I share it between two computers with a Gefen swich
    box. I do not think the Gefen box adds to the situation, but I do not
    know. I am using Dual Opteron 275 CPUs, which are dual-core, but
    which do not seem to be recognized by the program. I have 8 GB of
    system memory.

    I'll call Corel today.

    Thank you!

    Jim

    Jim, May 2, 2008
  6. Jim

    Jim Guest

    On May 2, 9:17 am, Jim <> wrote

    I just called Corel, and Corel WinDVD 9 Blu-ray does *not* support
    x64.

    I am still in need of a *software* player which will play Blu-ray
    discs in x64.

    Thank you!

    Roxio says their CinePlayer will *work* in x64, but it will *not* play
    Blu-ray.

    Jim

    Jim, May 2, 2008
  7. Jim

    Theo Guest

    Did you check out PowerDVD as mentioned by John Adams?

    Theo, May 2, 2008
  8. Jim

    Carlos Guest

    Then Slysoft AnyDVD HD is all you need.
    http://www.slysoft.com/en/anydvdhd.html
    "Allows you to watch movies over a digital display connection, without
    HDCP-compliant graphics card and without HDCP-compilant display. No need to
    buy an expensive monitor"

    :)
    Carlos

    Carlos, May 2, 2008
  9. You might try this blu-ray forum where all of the issues are discussed by
    users.
    http://forum.blu-ray.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35

    Colin Barnhorst, May 2, 2008
  10. Jim

    Jim Guest

    On May 2, 9:17 am, Jim <> wrote:
    > On May 2, 12:17 am, "John Adams" <> wrote:
    >
    > > I'm using PowerDVD on Vista x64 and I can watch Blu-Ray just fine.

    > > Be SURE that you have a compatible system before you blame the software.
    > > You MUST have a video card AND monitor that support HDCP and they must be
    > > connected through either DVI or HDMI.  Blu-Ray requires this setup in order
    > > to play.

    John,

    It turns out we were both partially correct. You were correct in that
    my monitor, which I bought in November, 2004 is *not* HDCP compliant.
    However, I also bought PowerDVD, and their tech support *now* tells me
    that it *does* work in Vista 64-bit, but it does *not* work in x64.

    I am now thinking of both upgrading x64 to Vista 64-bit *and* to buy a
    new HDCP monitor. However, Carlos makes an interesting point below.

    Thanks for your input! :)

    Jim

    Jim, May 3, 2008
  11. Jim

    Jim Guest

    On May 2, 2:39 pm, Carlos <> wrote:

    > Then Slysoft AnyDVD HD is all you need.http://www.slysoft.com/en/anydvdhd.html
    > "Allows you to watch movies over a digital display connection, without
    > HDCP-compliant graphics card and without HDCP-compilant display. No need to
    > buy an expensive monitor"
    >
    > :)
    > Carlos

    Carlos,

    As usual, you have an extremely clever, and helpful solution. I'm
    concerned about the short-term, as well as the long-term. I think
    your solution is *excellent* in the short-term, but I am starting to
    feel like x64 is dying out. For a while it was getting fairly good
    support from a number of companies. Now companies seem not to want to
    support 64-bit; but, if they do support it, they support Vista 64
    bit. My Tyan K8WE (S2895) is aging, and I don't know how much longer
    I will be able to install Vista on it. Mostly I hate Vista, I have it
    on the notebook I am using right now; but I think it will be the wave
    of the future. I may buy your recommended software tomorrow,
    nevertheless, because my son is visiting and I wanted to show him a
    Blu-ray disc. (I have also wanted to watch one.

    Thanks again for the *excellent* advice!

    I'd be interested in your opinion on the future of x64?

    Jim

    Jim, May 3, 2008
  12. Jim

    John Adams Guest

    Jim,

    I'm glad you're working things out. I'm not sure what sort of video card
    you have installed on your machine, but if you're going to be upgrading
    things, that might be a good place to examine as well. Video cards with
    built in acceleration for HD content (such as the nVidia 8xxx and 9xxx
    series cards as well as ATI's top end cards) will make a big difference in
    how they play on your system. I'm not really an expert on this, but I do
    not think that standard MPEG-2 acceleration works for blu-ray or HD-DVD
    content. That being the case, playing the content will be extremely
    resource intensive (by this, I mean your blu-ray movies may "skip" during
    playback) without hardware acceleration.

    - John

    John Adams, May 4, 2008
  13. Jim

    Jim Guest

    On May 4, 12:01 am, "John Adams" <> wrote:

    > I'm glad you're working things out.  I'm not sure what sort of video card
    > you have installed on your machine, but if you're going to be upgrading
    > things, that might be a good place to examine as well.  Video cards with
    > built in acceleration for HD content (such as the nVidia 8xxx and 9xxx
    > series cards as well as ATI's top end cards) will make a big difference in
    > how they play on your system.  I'm not really an expert on this, but I do
    > not think that standard MPEG-2 acceleration works for blu-ray or HD-DVD
    > content.  That being the case, playing the content will be extremely
    > resource intensive (by this, I mean your blu-ray movies may "skip" during
    > playback) without hardware acceleration.

    John,

    I'm ok on the video front. I have an MSI 8800 GTX which *is* HDCP
    compliant. However, my Samsung SyncMaster 243T is *not.*

    I am also going to switch to Vista 64-bit, as more players seem to
    work in Vista, and fewer drivers are coming out for x64. I expect
    *lots* of headaches, and few rewards, in the switch, but I feel as if
    I have no choice.

    I would really like a new 2560 X 1500 monitor, but I can't afford that
    right now.

    Thanks for your help! :)

    Jim

    Jim, May 4, 2008
  14. Jim

    John Adams Guest

    Honestly, I've had the best Windows experience ever with my Vista ultimate
    x64 system. I hope your experience is just as good!

    - John

    John Adams, May 4, 2008
  15. What headaches do you expect? I have been running Vista Ultimate x64 for a
    year and a half and have not had any problems. You just need to check on
    Vista compatibility for your software and devices and prepare as needed.
    But that is no different than it was when moving from Win98 or W2k to XP
    back in the day.

    Colin Barnhorst, May 4, 2008
  16. Jim

    Carlos Guest

    Jim,
    Thank you for your kind comments.
    :)
    Carlos

    Carlos, May 4, 2008
  17. Jim

    Jim Guest

    On May 4, 5:07 pm, Carlos <> wrote:
    > Jim,
    > Thank you for your kind comments.
    > :)
    > Carlos

    Carlos,

    The Vista Ultimate DVD 64-bit is scheduled to arrive today. Wish me
    luck! <g> I'm *not* looking forward to this, but I do not think they
    are going to be releasing as many new drivers for x64 and more new
    stuff is supporting 64-bit Vista.

    Jim

    Jim, May 5, 2008
  18. Maybe a simple question here:

    This Corel WinDVD 9 version.... It is the ( Plus version right?
    The WinDVD 9 is for DVD only. The 9 Plus versio grants the additional
    Blu-ray support.

    Btw. I did get WinDVD 9 Plus working on the Vista Ultimate x64 I have.
    You can try Cyberlinks version too. They even have a free trail version with
    Blu-ray support.

    PaladinWxpX64, May 7, 2008
  19. Jim

    Jim Guest

    On May 7, 7:00 am, PaladinWxpX64
    <> wrote:

    > Maybe a simple question here:

    > This Corel WinDVD 9 version.... It is the ( Plus version right?
    > The WinDVD 9 is for DVD only. The 9 Plus versio grants the additional
    > Blu-ray support.

    It *was* the Plus version, which supports Blu-ray. The problem is my
    Samsung SyncMaster 243T monitor which does *not* support HDCP. I need
    an HDCP compliant monitor.

    (Thank you for asking.)

    > Btw. I did get WinDVD 9 Plus working on the Vista Ultimate x64 I have.
    > You can try Cyberlinks version too. They even have a free trail version with
    > Blu-ray support.

    Evidently CyberLink's version *is* compatible with Vista 64-bit but
    *not* with x64 64-bit. I switched to Vista Ultimate 64-bit over the
    past few days (another post), but I still do *not* have a HDCP
    compliant monitor.

    I am looking for a 30" 2560 X 1600 DVI-D Dual-Link monitor that is
    HDCP complaint. There are not very many of them on the market. I was
    on the phone with HP LP3065 for an hour today, and I *never* reached
    anyone with a brain! I no longer want to buy HP!

    Thank you! :)

    Jim

    Jim, May 8, 2008
  20. Jim

    Ken Guest

    >> *does* work in Vista 64-bit, but it does *not* work in x64.

    Well their Tech support is wrong, PowerDVD does work with Windows Xp x64.
    I have been trying the powerdvd trial on XP x64 and it works fine.

    WinDVD locks and freezes, idiots messed up something when the wrote this one.
    IT appears to lock up on the splash screen. Can't see any reason why this
    would not
    work on XP x64. Regular DVD's play fine on my computer. I would pass on
    WinDVD if they can't figure out the problem and get it to work on XP x64,
    chances are something else does not work quite right.

    The PowerDVD playback video wise is Superb over a plain VGA cable to my
    42inch plasma tv from my Sony Blu-Ray player (2x speed, I see no problems due
    to playback speed of the drive).

    Only weird thing I see, is the popup menus would not respond to my mouse
    clicks.
    This only occured with the Blu-Ray disc I tried (spiderman 3). I put in a
    regular dvd (Serenity) and the menu responded fine to the mouse clicks. For
    the Blu-ray
    I had to use the keyboard to move around the menus.

    Biggest drawback are the Audio options, very limited it seems and not
    necessarily the PowerDVD peoples problem, but it did not seem to recognize
    the actual format of the audio being played. Blu-Ray TrueHD was an option
    from the Spiderman 3 disc, but did not seem to be reflected in the PowerDVD
    audio options.

    Audio in general is an issue as playback totally depends on your soundcard
    and audio format output. My soundblaster Fatality ends up outputting Dolby
    Pro Logic no matter what I do via the optical connection ( I have to look at
    my connection options).

    No soundcard out there handles the HD formats for blu-ray and their audio
    range needs improvement. One manufacturer is looking to provide a board that
    does handle the new formats (Auzentech), but falls short (in my opinion) by
    totally fleshing out the HDMI card they are making to include DSD (and I
    don't mean just stereo DSD..Mutlichannel..please).

    Link to article on new card

    http://www.audiojunkies.com/blog/1054/auzentech-hdmi-xtension-soundcard

    Ken, Jun 15, 2008