    CVan anyone help?

    Regards

    Stephen Fisher

    Stephen Fisher, May 26, 2005

  2. Stephen Fisher

    SEYMOUR Guest

    open the media player and select the tools tab
    then click options and then file types
    check the select all check box and that should do it

    SEYMOUR, May 26, 2005

  3. "SEYMOUR" <labour@the edgeofcollapse.com> wrote in message
    > open the media player and select the tools tab
    > then click options and then file types
    > check the select all check box and that should do it
    >

    > "Stephen Fisher" <> wrote in message
    >> Everytime i click on a multimedia (avi,wmv etc) file (in Windows
    >> explorer) i get a dialog box saying:
    >>
    >> "Open With" and then a list of recommended programmes to try and open the
    >> file with. I end up choosing "Windows media player" and ticking the box
    >> saying "Always use this programme to open this kind of file"
    >>
    >> Next time i click the same type of file i get the same dialog box.
    >>
    >> I only started geting this dialog box a week ago. I have not installed
    >> anything new on PC (and my wie says she has not insalled anything)
    >>
    >> I have tried reinstalling windows median player (v10) and still get same
    >> message.
    >> I have windows xp pro.
    >>
    >> CVan anyone help?
    >>
    >> Regards
    >>
    >> Stephen Fisher

    Everything was already checked. I tried unchecking and saving and then
    rchecking all boxes and saving. Still have same problem.

    Regards
    Steve

    Stephen Fisher, May 26, 2005
  4. Stephen Fisher

    SEYMOUR Guest

    try downloading real one player

    SEYMOUR, May 26, 2005
  5. Stephen Fisher

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Thu, 26 May 2005 20:57:55 +0000 (UTC), "SEYMOUR" <labour@the
    edgeofcollapse.com> wrote:

    >try downloading real one player

    God I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy.

    Evan Platt, May 27, 2005
  6. "Evan Platt" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 26 May 2005 20:57:55 +0000 (UTC), "SEYMOUR" <labour@the
    > edgeofcollapse.com> wrote:
    >
    >>try downloading real one player

    > God I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy.

    I would prefer using windows media player than real player.

    Regards

    Stephen Fisher, May 28, 2005
  7. Stephen Fisher

    Jim Scott Guest

    "Stephen Fisher" <> wrote in

    > Everytime i click on a multimedia (avi,wmv etc) file (in Windows
    > explorer) i get a dialog box saying:
    >
    > "Open With" and then a list of recommended programmes to try and open
    > the file with. I end up choosing "Windows media player" and ticking
    > the box saying "Always use this programme to open this kind of file"
    >
    > Next time i click the same type of file i get the same dialog box.
    >
    > I only started geting this dialog box a week ago. I have not installed
    > anything new on PC (and my wie says she has not insalled anything)
    >
    > I have tried reinstalling windows median player (v10) and still get
    > same message.
    > I have windows xp pro.
    >
    > CVan anyone help?
    >
    > Regards
    >
    > Stephen Fisher

    See a thread recently on alt.comp.freeware.
    I had the same problem and found a program called gspot.exe from here
    http://www.free-codecs.com/download/GSpot.htm
    You point it at your avi file and it detects any missing codecs.
    (apparently .avi is not always what it seems)
    You then download the codec (the software some media files need)
    In my case it was called DivX and everything runs fine now in WMP and, I
    suppose, whatever you would use.
    --
    Jim

    Tyneside - North East of England
    To email me directly omit the X from my address

    Jim Scott, May 28, 2005
  8. Stephen Fisher

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Sat, 28 May 2005 11:35:27 GMT, "Stephen Fisher"
    <> wrote:

    >I would prefer using windows media player than real player.

    I would prefer a root canal without any pain killers to using real
    player.

    Evan Platt, May 29, 2005