Playing around with NIK

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Tony Cooper, Jun 18, 2013.

  1. Tony Cooper

    Tony Cooper Guest

    I resisted adding plug-ins to do my work for me for quite a while. I
    preferred reading tutorials and doing things in Photoshop. But, NIK
    had this $149 special (and a coupon that reduced it to $126) and I
    went for it.

    It's time consuming because there are so many pre-sets that can be
    applied in the modules. I find myself trying each one. But, it's
    kinda fun. This one is the Color Plate preset in Silver Efex Pro Pro
    module:

    http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/Other/Current-Favorite-Shot/i-jPJXvrR/0/XL/2013-06-16-12-XL.jpg

    And this one is the Color Efex Pro module in Bleach Bypass with some
    extra stuff done in CS6 to make the overalls a bit darker.

    http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/Other/Current-Favorite-Shot/i-zCbxhRD/0/XL/2013-06-16-4-XL.jpg

    And this one of a woven palm frond hat done in Silver Efex Pro using
    Detail Extractor.

    http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/Other/Current-Favorite-Shot/i-PcG7mbj/0/XL/2013-06-16-5-XL.jpg

    I'm getting the hang of Control Points, but haven't been able to do
    much of anything in Viveza 2.

    I kinda object to using presets because you end up creating effects
    without knowing how you got there. Still, it's interesting.

    All of these were shot at the Marjorie Kinan Rawlings (The Yearling)
    house in Cross Creek, Florida. Met my daughter there for Father's
    Day.
    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando FL
     
    Tony Cooper, Jun 18, 2013
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Tony Cooper

    Tony Cooper Guest

    On Tue, 18 Jun 2013 16:35:00 -0700, Savageduck
    <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

    >On 2013-06-18 15:57:11 -0700, Tony Cooper <> said:
    >
    >> I resisted adding plug-ins to do my work for me for quite a while. I
    >> preferred reading tutorials and doing things in Photoshop. But, NIK
    >> had this $149 special (and a coupon that reduced it to $126) and I
    >> went for it.
    >>
    >> It's time consuming because there are so many pre-sets that can be
    >> applied in the modules. I find myself trying each one. But, it's
    >> kinda fun. This one is the Color Plate preset in Silver Efex Pro Pro
    >> module:
    >>
    >> http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/Other/Current-Favorite-Shot/i-jPJXvrR/0/XL/2013-06-16-12-XL.jpg

    >
    >And
    >>
    >> this one is the Color Efex Pro module in Bleach Bypass with some
    >> extra stuff done in CS6 to make the overalls a bit darker.
    >>
    >> http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/Other/Current-Favorite-Shot/i-zCbxhRD/0/XL/2013-06-16-4-XL.jpg

    >
    >And
    >>
    >> this one of a woven palm frond hat done in Silver Efex Pro using
    >> Detail Extractor.
    >>
    >> http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/Other/Current-Favorite-Shot/i-PcG7mbj/0/XL/2013-06-16-5-XL.jpg

    >
    >I'm
    >>
    >> getting the hang of Control Points, but haven't been able to do
    >> much of anything in Viveza 2.
    >>
    >> I kinda object to using presets because you end up creating effects
    >> without knowing how you got there. Still, it's interesting.
    >>
    >> All of these were shot at the Marjorie Kinan Rawlings (The Yearling)
    >> house in Cross Creek, Florida. Met my daughter there for Father's
    >> Day.

    >
    >So far it looks as if you have put the NIK tools to good effect. You
    >will become more comfortable using the control points and brush as time
    >goes on. I like the palm frond hat, and what you have done with the
    >bleach by-pass shot.
    >
    >The pre-sets can give you a starting point which you can relate to the
    >adjustment sliders on the right. You can use the pre-sets, and/or
    >adjust those to taste. What I have learned now that I am comfortable
    >with what each of the adjustments does, is to start with the default,
    >and (Particularly with Silver Efex Pro) get to a result I am satisfied
    >with, and sometimes create my own pre-set from that result.


    None of the images linked to were straight preset results. All were
    adjusted with Control Points and sliders.

    >Regarding Viveza 2, it is somewhat like a combined curves/levels/color
    >balance/shadows and subtle sharpening tool.
    >I find it a useful tool to use near the end of the workflow both
    >globally and selectively to lift detail in shadows, add "structure",
    >and generally adjust to give a slight "pop" to the final image.


    Perhaps that's why I haven't gone with Viveza with any enthusiasm. I'm
    not as interested in "pop", when it comes to color, as you are.

    >Fun isn't it?

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando FL
     
    Tony Cooper, Jun 19, 2013
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Tony Cooper

    otter Guest

    On Tuesday, June 18, 2013 5:57:11 PM UTC-5, Tony Cooper wrote:
    > I resisted adding plug-ins to do my work for me for quite a while. I
    >
    > preferred reading tutorials and doing things in Photoshop. But, NIK
    >
    > had this $149 special (and a coupon that reduced it to $126) and I
    >
    > went for it.
    >
    >
    >
    > It's time consuming because there are so many pre-sets that can be
    >
    > applied in the modules. I find myself trying each one. But, it's
    >
    > kinda fun. This one is the Color Plate preset in Silver Efex Pro Pro
    >
    > module:
    >
    >
    >
    > http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/Other/Current-Favorite-Shot/i-jPJXvrR/0/XL/2013-06-16-12-XL.jpg
    >
    >
    >
    > And this one is the Color Efex Pro module in Bleach Bypass with some
    >
    > extra stuff done in CS6 to make the overalls a bit darker.
    >
    >
    >
    > http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/Other/Current-Favorite-Shot/i-zCbxhRD/0/XL/2013-06-16-4-XL.jpg
    >
    >
    >
    > And this one of a woven palm frond hat done in Silver Efex Pro using
    >
    > Detail Extractor.
    >
    >
    >
    > http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/Other/Current-Favorite-Shot/i-PcG7mbj/0/XL/2013-06-16-5-XL.jpg
    >
    >
    >
    > I'm getting the hang of Control Points, but haven't been able to do
    >
    > much of anything in Viveza 2.
    >
    >
    >
    > I kinda object to using presets because you end up creating effects
    >
    > without knowing how you got there. Still, it's interesting.
    >
    >
    >
    > All of these were shot at the Marjorie Kinan Rawlings (The Yearling)
    >
    > house in Cross Creek, Florida. Met my daughter there for Father's
    >
    > Day.
    >
    > --
    >
    > Tony Cooper - Orlando FL


    Nice pictures, Tony. I've been having fun with the HDR plugin presets. Although I normally like more realistic treatments, some of the presets are kinda cool. This one is structured 2:

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/billkeshlear/9081336086/in/set-72157633826302242/lightbox/
     
    otter, Jun 19, 2013
    #3
  4. Tony Cooper

    otter Guest

    On Tuesday, June 18, 2013 7:26:58 PM UTC-5, Savageduck wrote:
    > On 2013-06-18 17:17:12 -0700, otter <> said:
    >
    >
    >
    > >

    >
    > > Nice pictures, Tony. I've been having fun with the HDR plugin presets.

    >
    > > Although I normally like more realistic treatments, some of the

    >
    > > presets are kinda cool. This one is structured 2:

    >
    > >

    >
    > > http://www.flickr.com/photos/billkeshlear/9081336086/in/set-72157633826302242/lightbox/

    >
    >
    >
    > MY
    >
    > >

    >
    > EYES!!
    >
    > Too much! Too much!!
    >
    >


    LOL, yeah I know. I figured I'd get that reaction.
     
    otter, Jun 19, 2013
    #4
  5. Tony Cooper

    Tony Cooper Guest

    On Tue, 18 Jun 2013 17:17:12 -0700 (PDT), otter
    <> wrote:

    >On Tuesday, June 18, 2013 5:57:11 PM UTC-5, Tony Cooper wrote:
    >> I resisted adding plug-ins to do my work for me for quite a while. I
    >>
    >> preferred reading tutorials and doing things in Photoshop. But, NIK
    >>
    >> had this $149 special (and a coupon that reduced it to $126) and I
    >>
    >> went for it.
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >> It's time consuming because there are so many pre-sets that can be
    >>
    >> applied in the modules. I find myself trying each one. But, it's
    >>
    >> kinda fun. This one is the Color Plate preset in Silver Efex Pro Pro
    >>
    >> module:
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >> http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/Other/Current-Favorite-Shot/i-jPJXvrR/0/XL/2013-06-16-12-XL.jpg
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >> And this one is the Color Efex Pro module in Bleach Bypass with some
    >>
    >> extra stuff done in CS6 to make the overalls a bit darker.
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >> http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/Other/Current-Favorite-Shot/i-zCbxhRD/0/XL/2013-06-16-4-XL.jpg
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >> And this one of a woven palm frond hat done in Silver Efex Pro using
    >>
    >> Detail Extractor.
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >> http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/Other/Current-Favorite-Shot/i-PcG7mbj/0/XL/2013-06-16-5-XL.jpg
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >> I'm getting the hang of Control Points, but haven't been able to do
    >>
    >> much of anything in Viveza 2.
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >> I kinda object to using presets because you end up creating effects
    >>
    >> without knowing how you got there. Still, it's interesting.
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >> All of these were shot at the Marjorie Kinan Rawlings (The Yearling)
    >>
    >> house in Cross Creek, Florida. Met my daughter there for Father's
    >>
    >> Day.
    >>
    >> --
    >>
    >> Tony Cooper - Orlando FL

    >
    >Nice pictures, Tony. I've been having fun with the HDR plugin presets. Although I normally like more realistic treatments, some of the presets are kinda cool. This one is structured 2:
    >
    >http://www.flickr.com/photos/billkeshlear/9081336086/in/set-72157633826302242/lightbox/



    I *literally* jumped when I opened that link! That first one is just
    too much. I do like the rest.
    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando FL
     
    Tony Cooper, Jun 19, 2013
    #5
  6. Tony Cooper

    otter Guest

    On Tuesday, June 18, 2013 8:33:05 PM UTC-5, Tony Cooper wrote:
    > On Tue, 18 Jun 2013 17:17:12 -0700 (PDT), otter
    >
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >
    >
    > >On Tuesday, June 18, 2013 5:57:11 PM UTC-5, Tony Cooper wrote:

    >
    > >> I resisted adding plug-ins to do my work for me for quite a while. I

    >
    > >>

    >
    > >> preferred reading tutorials and doing things in Photoshop. But, NIK

    >
    > >>

    >
    > >> had this $149 special (and a coupon that reduced it to $126) and I

    >
    > >>

    >
    > >> went for it.

    >
    > >>

    >
    > >>

    >
    > >>

    >
    > >> It's time consuming because there are so many pre-sets that can be

    >
    > >>

    >
    > >> applied in the modules. I find myself trying each one. But, it's

    >
    > >>

    >
    > >> kinda fun. This one is the Color Plate preset in Silver Efex Pro Pro

    >
    > >>

    >
    > >> module:

    >
    > >>

    >
    > >>

    >
    > >>

    >
    > >> http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/Other/Current-Favorite-Shot/i-jPJXvrR/0/XL/2013-06-16-12-XL.jpg

    >
    > >>

    >
    > >>

    >
    > >>

    >
    > >> And this one is the Color Efex Pro module in Bleach Bypass with some

    >
    > >>

    >
    > >> extra stuff done in CS6 to make the overalls a bit darker.

    >
    > >>

    >
    > >>

    >
    > >>

    >
    > >> http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/Other/Current-Favorite-Shot/i-zCbxhRD/0/XL/2013-06-16-4-XL.jpg

    >
    > >>

    >
    > >>

    >
    > >>

    >
    > >> And this one of a woven palm frond hat done in Silver Efex Pro using

    >
    > >>

    >
    > >> Detail Extractor.

    >
    > >>

    >
    > >>

    >
    > >>

    >
    > >> http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/Other/Current-Favorite-Shot/i-PcG7mbj/0/XL/2013-06-16-5-XL.jpg

    >
    > >>

    >
    > >>

    >
    > >>

    >
    > >> I'm getting the hang of Control Points, but haven't been able to do

    >
    > >>

    >
    > >> much of anything in Viveza 2.

    >
    > >>

    >
    > >>

    >
    > >>

    >
    > >> I kinda object to using presets because you end up creating effects

    >
    > >>

    >
    > >> without knowing how you got there. Still, it's interesting.

    >
    > >>

    >
    > >>

    >
    > >>

    >
    > >> All of these were shot at the Marjorie Kinan Rawlings (The Yearling)

    >
    > >>

    >
    > >> house in Cross Creek, Florida. Met my daughter there for Father's

    >
    > >>

    >
    > >> Day.

    >
    > >>

    >
    > >> --

    >
    > >>

    >
    > >> Tony Cooper - Orlando FL

    >
    > >

    >
    > >Nice pictures, Tony. I've been having fun with the HDR plugin presets. Although I normally like more realistic treatments, some of the presets are kinda cool. This one is structured 2:

    >
    > >

    >
    > >http://www.flickr.com/photos/billkeshlear/9081336086/in/set-72157633826302242/lightbox/

    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > I *literally* jumped when I opened that link! That first one is just
    >
    > too much. I do like the rest.


    The other pictures in that set weren't done using Nik, It was just a convenient place to post the HDR picture. Here is a more natural treatment. Let me know if you think this is too overdone. The other one was just for fun.

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/billkeshlear/9079557535/in/set-72157633826302242/lightbox/
     
    otter, Jun 19, 2013
    #6
  7. Tony Cooper

    otter Guest

    On Tuesday, June 18, 2013 9:18:59 PM UTC-5, Savageduck wrote:
    > On 2013-06-18 18:50:18 -0700, otter <> said:
    >
    >
    >
    > > The other pictures in that set weren't done using Nik, It was just a

    >
    > > convenient place to post the HDR picture. Here is a more natural

    >
    > > treatment. Let me know if you think this is too overdone. The other

    >
    > > one was just for fun.

    >
    > >

    >
    > > http://www.flickr.com/photos/billkeshlear/9079557535/in/set-72157633826302242/lightbox/

    >
    >
    >
    > Much
    >
    > >

    >
    > better.
    >
    >
    >
    > I guess you didn't shoot an HDR exposure bracket for the scene, so did
    >
    > you just use single exposure tone mapping?
    >


    Three bracketed shots, but only 1/3 apart. I didn't shoot that picture with the intent to do an HDR. I have some others around here somewhere that have a wider range.
     
    otter, Jun 19, 2013
    #7
  8. Tony Cooper

    peternew Guest

    On 6/18/2013 6:57 PM, Tony Cooper wrote:
    > I resisted adding plug-ins to do my work for me for quite a while. I
    > preferred reading tutorials and doing things in Photoshop. But, NIK
    > had this $149 special (and a coupon that reduced it to $126) and I
    > went for it.
    >
    > It's time consuming because there are so many pre-sets that can be
    > applied in the modules. I find myself trying each one. But, it's
    > kinda fun. This one is the Color Plate preset in Silver Efex Pro Pro
    > module:
    >
    > http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/Other/Current-Favorite-Shot/i-jPJXvrR/0/XL/2013-06-16-12-XL.jpg
    >
    > And this one is the Color Efex Pro module in Bleach Bypass with some
    > extra stuff done in CS6 to make the overalls a bit darker.
    >
    > http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/Other/Current-Favorite-Shot/i-zCbxhRD/0/XL/2013-06-16-4-XL.jpg
    >
    > And this one of a woven palm frond hat done in Silver Efex Pro using
    > Detail Extractor.
    >
    > http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/Other/Current-Favorite-Shot/i-PcG7mbj/0/XL/2013-06-16-5-XL.jpg
    >
    > I'm getting the hang of Control Points, but haven't been able to do
    > much of anything in Viveza 2.
    >
    > I kinda object to using presets because you end up creating effects
    > without knowing how you got there. Still, it's interesting.
    >
    > All of these were shot at the Marjorie Kinan Rawlings (The Yearling)
    > house in Cross Creek, Florida. Met my daughter there for Father's
    > Day.
    >


    All are nice attempts, but I personally like the last one, best. I am
    very happy to see that something got you out of your street comfort
    zone. Keep with it. You do know you can stack filters, and preserve
    recopies.

    I start with a preset, and then tend to modify it.



    --
    PeterN
     
    peternew, Jun 19, 2013
    #8
  9. Tony Cooper

    peternew Guest

    On 6/18/2013 7:35 PM, Savageduck wrote:

    <snip>


    >
    > Quite a few of the NIK videos particularly with Silver Efex, HDR Efex, &
    > Viveza, forego the pre-sets and go straight into making the adjustments
    > with the various sliders.
    >
    > Fun isn't it?
    >


    yup! But like a lot of other fun things in ife, you have to know when to
    stop.
    --
    PeterN
     
    peternew, Jun 19, 2013
    #9
  10. Tony Cooper

    Tony Cooper Guest

    On Tue, 18 Jun 2013 18:50:18 -0700 (PDT), otter
    <> wrote:

    >On Tuesday, June 18, 2013 8:33:05 PM UTC-5, Tony Cooper wrote:
    >> On Tue, 18 Jun 2013 17:17:12 -0700 (PDT), otter
    >>
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >> >On Tuesday, June 18, 2013 5:57:11 PM UTC-5, Tony Cooper wrote:

    >>
    >> >> I resisted adding plug-ins to do my work for me for quite a while. I

    >>
    >> >>

    >>
    >> >> preferred reading tutorials and doing things in Photoshop. But, NIK

    >>
    >> >>

    >>
    >> >> had this $149 special (and a coupon that reduced it to $126) and I

    >>
    >> >>

    >>
    >> >> went for it.

    >>
    >> >>

    >>
    >> >>

    >>
    >> >>

    >>
    >> >> It's time consuming because there are so many pre-sets that can be

    >>
    >> >>

    >>
    >> >> applied in the modules. I find myself trying each one. But, it's

    >>
    >> >>

    >>
    >> >> kinda fun. This one is the Color Plate preset in Silver Efex Pro Pro

    >>
    >> >>

    >>
    >> >> module:

    >>
    >> >>

    >>
    >> >>

    >>
    >> >>

    >>
    >> >> http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/Other/Current-Favorite-Shot/i-jPJXvrR/0/XL/2013-06-16-12-XL.jpg

    >>
    >> >>

    >>
    >> >>

    >>
    >> >>

    >>
    >> >> And this one is the Color Efex Pro module in Bleach Bypass with some

    >>
    >> >>

    >>
    >> >> extra stuff done in CS6 to make the overalls a bit darker.

    >>
    >> >>

    >>
    >> >>

    >>
    >> >>

    >>
    >> >> http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/Other/Current-Favorite-Shot/i-zCbxhRD/0/XL/2013-06-16-4-XL.jpg

    >>
    >> >>

    >>
    >> >>

    >>
    >> >>

    >>
    >> >> And this one of a woven palm frond hat done in Silver Efex Pro using

    >>
    >> >>

    >>
    >> >> Detail Extractor.

    >>
    >> >>

    >>
    >> >>

    >>
    >> >>

    >>
    >> >> http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/Other/Current-Favorite-Shot/i-PcG7mbj/0/XL/2013-06-16-5-XL.jpg

    >>
    >> >>

    >>
    >> >>

    >>
    >> >>

    >>
    >> >> I'm getting the hang of Control Points, but haven't been able to do

    >>
    >> >>

    >>
    >> >> much of anything in Viveza 2.

    >>
    >> >>

    >>
    >> >>

    >>
    >> >>

    >>
    >> >> I kinda object to using presets because you end up creating effects

    >>
    >> >>

    >>
    >> >> without knowing how you got there. Still, it's interesting.

    >>
    >> >>

    >>
    >> >>

    >>
    >> >>

    >>
    >> >> All of these were shot at the Marjorie Kinan Rawlings (The Yearling)

    >>
    >> >>

    >>
    >> >> house in Cross Creek, Florida. Met my daughter there for Father's

    >>
    >> >>

    >>
    >> >> Day.

    >>
    >> >>

    >>
    >> >> --

    >>
    >> >>

    >>
    >> >> Tony Cooper - Orlando FL

    >>
    >> >

    >>
    >> >Nice pictures, Tony. I've been having fun with the HDR plugin presets. Although I normally like more realistic treatments, some of the presets are kinda cool. This one is structured 2:

    >>
    >> >

    >>
    >> >http://www.flickr.com/photos/billkeshlear/9081336086/in/set-72157633826302242/lightbox/

    >>
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >> I *literally* jumped when I opened that link! That first one is just
    >>
    >> too much. I do like the rest.

    >
    >The other pictures in that set weren't done using Nik, It was just a convenient place to post the HDR picture. Here is a more natural treatment. Let me know if you think this is too overdone. The other one was just for fun.
    >
    >http://www.flickr.com/photos/billkeshlear/9079557535/in/set-72157633826302242/lightbox/



    Dunno what newsreader you use, but if there's a way to set your line
    length to 72 character it would be greatly appreciated. I have to
    scroll (in Agent) to read an entire line.

    I'm not keen on either version (2013-1 or 2013-2). Neither looks like
    any scene in nature that I've ever seen, but I've never been to that
    part of the country so the colors and the sky may be as represented
    here. I just don't care for bright, pull-the-sliders-over, scenes.

    But, keep in mind that I'm not a landscape shooter. My two favorite
    landscape photos that I've taken are both in black and white. You'll
    rarely see a lot of sky in any image of mine, and the sky you'll see
    won't have those forbidding clouds.

    No criticism of your work; just my own take.

    Of your group, I like 2013-9 the best. It's subtle, and the people
    lend scale.


    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando FL
     
    Tony Cooper, Jun 19, 2013
    #10
  11. Tony Cooper

    otter Guest

    On Tuesday, June 18, 2013 11:10:13 PM UTC-5, Savageduck wrote:
    > On 2013-06-18 20:48:00 -0700, Tony Cooper <> said:
    >
    > >

    >
    > > Dunno what newsreader you use, but if there's a way to set your line

    >
    > > length to 72 character it would be greatly appreciated. I have to

    >
    > > scroll (in Agent) to read an entire line.

    >
    >
    >
    > The problem is, Otter is using the dreaded Google Groups G2/1.0. The
    >
    > very same newsreader which causes so many headaches for others that
    >
    > Whisky Dave uses.
    >
    > It is without doubt the worst newsreader currently in use and Google
    >
    > doesn't seem to be in a hurry to fix anything about it.
    >
    >


    Well, actually, Google just made it a whole lot worse. They've forced
    their new interface on everyone, and took away the ability to go back.
    I may be going back to a newsreader, which I don't particularly like
    but the new Google interface sucks.

    BTW, I think not being able to line wrap is Agent's problem, but
    I gave you some line returns.
     
    otter, Jun 19, 2013
    #11
  12. Tony Cooper

    Tony Cooper Guest

    On Tue, 18 Jun 2013 21:47:33 -0700 (PDT), otter
    <> wrote:

    >On Tuesday, June 18, 2013 11:10:13 PM UTC-5, Savageduck wrote:
    >> On 2013-06-18 20:48:00 -0700, Tony Cooper <> said:
    >>
    >> >

    >>
    >> > Dunno what newsreader you use, but if there's a way to set your line

    >>
    >> > length to 72 character it would be greatly appreciated. I have to

    >>
    >> > scroll (in Agent) to read an entire line.

    >>
    >>
    >>
    >> The problem is, Otter is using the dreaded Google Groups G2/1.0. The
    >>
    >> very same newsreader which causes so many headaches for others that
    >>
    >> Whisky Dave uses.
    >>
    >> It is without doubt the worst newsreader currently in use and Google
    >>
    >> doesn't seem to be in a hurry to fix anything about it.
    >>
    >>

    >
    >Well, actually, Google just made it a whole lot worse. They've forced
    >their new interface on everyone, and took away the ability to go back.
    >I may be going back to a newsreader, which I don't particularly like
    >but the new Google interface sucks.
    >
    >BTW, I think not being able to line wrap is Agent's problem,


    Agent may not be able to correct it, but your newsreader is causing
    it. It's not like Agent *causes* the problem.

    >but I gave you some line returns.


    Much better. I appreciate it.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando FL
     
    Tony Cooper, Jun 19, 2013
    #12
  13. Tony Cooper

    J. Clarke Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    >
    > On Tuesday, June 18, 2013 11:10:13 PM UTC-5, Savageduck wrote:
    > > On 2013-06-18 20:48:00 -0700, Tony Cooper <> said:
    > >
    > > >

    > >
    > > > Dunno what newsreader you use, but if there's a way to set your line

    > >
    > > > length to 72 character it would be greatly appreciated. I have to

    > >
    > > > scroll (in Agent) to read an entire line.

    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > The problem is, Otter is using the dreaded Google Groups G2/1.0. The
    > >
    > > very same newsreader which causes so many headaches for others that
    > >
    > > Whisky Dave uses.
    > >
    > > It is without doubt the worst newsreader currently in use and Google
    > >
    > > doesn't seem to be in a hurry to fix anything about it.
    > >
    > >

    >
    > Well, actually, Google just made it a whole lot worse. They've forced
    > their new interface on everyone, and took away the ability to go back.
    > I may be going back to a newsreader, which I don't particularly like
    > but the new Google interface sucks.
    >
    > BTW, I think not being able to line wrap is Agent's problem, but
    > I gave you some line returns.


    I'm starting to think that Google is suicidal. They used to be a really
    good search engine but of late half the links I click end up stalled for
    a while waiting for some kind of adware to do its thing--I've gone back
    to Yahoo for regular use because Google has become such a pain.

    s
     
    J. Clarke, Jun 19, 2013
    #13
  14. Tony Cooper

    peternew Guest

    On 6/19/2013 1:03 AM, Savageduck wrote:
    > On 2013-06-18 21:47:33 -0700, otter <> said:
    >
    >> On Tuesday, June 18, 2013 11:10:13 PM UTC-5, Savageduck wrote:
    >>> On 2013-06-18 20:48:00 -0700, Tony Cooper <>
    >>> said:
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>> Dunno what newsreader you use, but if there's a way to set your line
    >>>> length to 72 character it would be greatly appreciated. I have to
    >>>> scroll (in Agent) to read an entire line.
    >>>
    >>> The problem is, Otter is using the dreaded Google Groups G2/1.0. The
    >>> very same newsreader which causes so many headaches for others that
    >>> Whisky Dave uses.
    >>> It is without doubt the worst newsreader currently in use and Google
    >>> doesn't seem to be in a hurry to fix anything about it.
    >>>
    >>>

    >>
    >> Well, actually, Google just made it a whole lot worse. They've forced
    >> their new interface on everyone, and took away the ability to go back.
    >> I may be going back to a newsreader, which I don't particularly like
    >> but the new Google interface sucks.
    >>
    >> BTW, I think not being able to line wrap is Agent's problem, but
    >> I gave you some line returns.

    >
    > Naah! G2/1.0 just sucks royally!
    > One of its worse quirks is its automatic addition of line returns each
    > time it is used for a response in a thread regardless of no need for
    > that return.
    > Whenever possible I try to clean things up by removing the "Google
    > returns" in my responses, but when the G2/1.0 user replies things are
    > screwed up again
    >
    > BTW: I am using Unison on a Mac.
    >


    I use thundrbird on a PC. the only problem is that it does not mark
    threads as read, when they are posted to multiple groups.


    --
    PeterN
     
    peternew, Jun 19, 2013
    #14
  15. Tony Cooper

    Tony Cooper Guest

    On Wed, 19 Jun 2013 10:17:01 -0400, "J. Clarke"
    <> wrote:

    >In article <>,
    > says...
    >>
    >> On Tuesday, June 18, 2013 11:10:13 PM UTC-5, Savageduck wrote:
    >> > On 2013-06-18 20:48:00 -0700, Tony Cooper <> said:
    >> >
    >> > >
    >> >
    >> > > Dunno what newsreader you use, but if there's a way to set your line
    >> >
    >> > > length to 72 character it would be greatly appreciated. I have to
    >> >
    >> > > scroll (in Agent) to read an entire line.
    >> >
    >> >
    >> >
    >> > The problem is, Otter is using the dreaded Google Groups G2/1.0. The
    >> >
    >> > very same newsreader which causes so many headaches for others that
    >> >
    >> > Whisky Dave uses.
    >> >
    >> > It is without doubt the worst newsreader currently in use and Google
    >> >
    >> > doesn't seem to be in a hurry to fix anything about it.
    >> >
    >> >

    >>
    >> Well, actually, Google just made it a whole lot worse. They've forced
    >> their new interface on everyone, and took away the ability to go back.
    >> I may be going back to a newsreader, which I don't particularly like
    >> but the new Google interface sucks.
    >>
    >> BTW, I think not being able to line wrap is Agent's problem, but
    >> I gave you some line returns.

    >
    >I'm starting to think that Google is suicidal. They used to be a really
    >good search engine but of late half the links I click end up stalled for
    >a while waiting for some kind of adware to do its thing--I've gone back
    >to Yahoo for regular use because Google has become such a pain.
    >

    I may to back to "Dogpile". I see it's still there.
    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando FL
     
    Tony Cooper, Jun 19, 2013
    #15
  16. On Jun 19, 5:47 am, otter <> wrote:
    [...]
    > Well, actually, Google just made it a whole lot worse.  They've forced
    > their new interface on everyone, and took away the ability to go back.
    > I may be going back to a newsreader, which I don't particularly like
    > but the new Google interface sucks.
    >
    > BTW, I think not being able to line wrap is Agent's problem, but
    > I gave you some line returns.


    As of Wed 19 June 2013, the old GG is still available. You need to be
    signed in, then go to:
    http://groups.google.com/group/rec.photo.digital

    In other words, you need:
    http://groups.google.com/group/
    and then append the name of the group you want, eg: rec.photo.digital

    For comparison, the new GG is
    https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/rec.photo.digital

    Why one is https and the other is http, I don't know. I found this old
    GG trick courtesy of some people over at alt.usage.english
     
    pensive hamster, Jun 19, 2013
    #16
  17. On Jun 19, 3:17 pm, "J. Clarke" <> wrote:
    >
    > I'm starting to think that Google is suicidal.  They used to be a really
    > good search engine but of late half the links I click end up stalled for
    > a while waiting for some kind of adware to do its thing--I've gone back
    > to Yahoo for regular use because Google has become such a pain.
    >


    Google have had to devote all their top guys to running Operation
    Prism.

    Allegedly.
     
    pensive hamster, Jun 19, 2013
    #17
  18. Tony Cooper

    nospam Guest

    In article
    <>,
    pensive hamster <> wrote:

    > > I'm starting to think that Google is suicidal.  They used to be a really
    > > good search engine but of late half the links I click end up stalled for
    > > a while waiting for some kind of adware to do its thing--I've gone back
    > > to Yahoo for regular use because Google has become such a pain.
    > >

    >
    > Google have had to devote all their top guys to running Operation
    > Prism.


    google doesn't run prism.
     
    nospam, Jun 19, 2013
    #18
  19. Tony Cooper

    otter Guest

    On Jun 19, 2:46 pm, pensive hamster <>
    wrote:
    > On Jun 19, 5:47 am, otter <> wrote:
    > [...]
    >
    > > Well, actually, Google just made it a whole lot worse.  They've forced
    > > their new interface on everyone, and took away the ability to go back.
    > > I may be going back to a newsreader, which I don't particularly like
    > > but the new Google interface sucks.

    >
    > > BTW, I think not being able to line wrap is Agent's problem, but
    > > I gave you some line returns.

    >
    > As of Wed 19 June 2013, the old GG is still available. You need to be
    > signed in, then go to:http://groups.google.com/group/rec.photo.digital
    >
    > In other words, you need:http://groups.google.com/group/
    > and then append the name of the group you want, eg:  rec.photo.digital
    >
    > For comparison, the new GG ishttps://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/rec.photo.digital
    >
    > Why one is https and the other is http, I don't know. I found this old
    > GG trick courtesy of some people over at alt.usage.english


    The old google groups magically reappeared without me having to do
    anything special,
    but I'll bear this in mind, thanks. I have a feeling they may have
    released
    something either by mistake, or they sent up a trial balloon, and got
    a lot of bad
    feedback.
     
    otter, Jun 20, 2013
    #19
  20. Tony Cooper

    Tony Cooper Guest

    On Fri, 05 Jul 2013 06:34:04 +1200, Eric Stevens
    <> wrote:

    >On Tue, 18 Jun 2013 23:48:00 -0400, Tony Cooper
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>Dunno what newsreader you use, but if there's a way to set your line
    >>length to 72 character it would be greatly appreciated. I have to
    >>scroll (in Agent) to read an entire line.

    >
    >Have you tried typing 'o' to make Agent line-wrap at the screen
    >boundary?


    I had not before, but just tried it on one of Otter's posts and it did
    not change the long line configuration.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando FL
     
    Tony Cooper, Jul 4, 2013
    #20
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. n

    Nik Sharpener Pro and Canon 10D

    n, Jan 16, 2004, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    552
  2. tbm

    sigma ef500 super dg fr nik d70

    tbm, Mar 29, 2005, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    351
  3. PeterN

    Re: Google buys NIK!

    PeterN, Nov 2, 2012, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    316
    PeterN
    Nov 4, 2012
  4. peternew

    serious price drop on Nik software

    peternew, Jun 15, 2013, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    62
    Views:
    804
    nospam
    Jun 18, 2013
  5. PeterN

    Nik may disable Photoshop

    PeterN, Nov 3, 2013, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    20
    Views:
    488
    PeterN
    Nov 17, 2013
Loading...

Share This Page