    is important? I have a Panasonic that says it will play -R, but
    it doesn't.

    -Tom

    TomH, May 4, 2004

  2. The Philips DVD750VR is very versatile, and it comes with a VHS player as well

    Vlvetmorning98, May 5, 2004

  3. TomH

    Pug Fugley Guest

    Any player made within the last 2 years will play -R just fine...especially
    Panasonic. They have some of the best recordable support there is. Panny
    players supported them a full year before Sony/Toshiba/Onkyo/Denon ever
    thought about it.

    Pug Fugley, May 5, 2004
  4. TomH

    TomH Guest

    "Pug Fugley" <> wrote in message
    > Any player made within the last 2 years will play -R just fine...especially
    > Panasonic. They have some of the best recordable support there is. Panny
    > players supported them a full year before Sony/Toshiba/Onkyo/Denon ever
    > thought about it.

    The Panasonics I saw don't support the +R/RW and my Panasonic is less than 2
    years old and won't play -R even though it says it does. I noticed that
    Sony and the Go-Video says it plays both +-. Should I even care about the +R?
    I'm confused. I want to be able to burn my home videos and I
    want them to be able to be played on the most systems. It seems
    like the -R is the most supported, but if I'm going to buy one I may as well
    get one that plays them all.

    TomH, May 5, 2004
  5. TomH

    WKM Guest

    On Tue, 4 May 2004 13:21:54 -0700, "TomH" <> wrote:

    >Can anybody recommend a good player that plays the most formats.
    >Particularly both + and - R/RW and JPEG and any other that you think
    >is important? I have a Panasonic that says it will play -R, but
    >it doesn't.
    >

    >-Tom

    JVC All Region players -
    from 220-Electronics.
    I have 2 of them. They play everything!

    Claire D. Lune

    WKM, May 5, 2004
  6. >Can anybody recommend a good player that plays the most formats.
    >Particularly both + and - R/RW and JPEG and any other that you think
    >is important? I have a Panasonic that says it will play -R, but
    >it doesn't.

    Anything from Panasonic, Sony, Toshiba, JVC, Onkyo, Pioneer, or Yamaha. -
    Reinhart

    LASERandDVDfan, May 5, 2004
  7. >The Philips DVD750VR is very versatile, and it comes with a VHS player as
    >well

    I recommend against any DVD/VCR combo, regardless of brand. - Reinhart

    LASERandDVDfan, May 5, 2004
  8. >Any player made within the last 2 years will play -R just fine...especially
    >Panasonic. They have some of the best recordable support there is. Panny
    >players supported them a full year before Sony/Toshiba/Onkyo/Denon ever
    >thought about it.

    The notion that Panasonic supported DVD-R a full year before their competition
    is irrelevant now as most brands of players should support it at this time.

    Although, both my Pioneer DVL-700 and Sony DVP-S360 played DVD-R media just
    fine, and these players are old. - Reinhart

    LASERandDVDfan, May 5, 2004
  9. >The Panasonics I saw don't support the +R/RW and my Panasonic is less than 2
    >years old and won't play -R even though it says it does.

    What brand of media are you using and at what speed are you burning them?

    Trying burning your DVD-R discs at a slower speed and consider using different
    brands of DVD-R discs to find one that works best for you. - Reinhart

    LASERandDVDfan, May 5, 2004
  10. TomH

    Biz Guest

    "LASERandDVDfan" <> wrote in message
    > >Can anybody recommend a good player that plays the most formats.
    > >Particularly both + and - R/RW and JPEG and any other that you think
    > >is important? I have a Panasonic that says it will play -R, but
    > >it doesn't.

    > Anything from Panasonic, Sony, Toshiba, JVC, Onkyo, Pioneer, or Yamaha. -
    > Reinhart

    I dont know what the deal is, but I've tried 3 different Panny's all bought
    within the last year, and they all have choked on DVD-R's, had problems with
    alot of my cd-rs, nor will they play XSVCDs I make, which the Pioneer 363 I
    bought after returning the Panasonics plays all the media I've tried
    flawlessly. Oh, and they are slow AND have really noisy transports.

    Biz, May 5, 2004
  11. "LASERandDVDfan" <> wrote in message
    > >The Philips DVD750VR is very versatile, and it comes with a VHS

    player
    > >as well.

    > I recommend against any DVD/VCR combo, regardless of brand.
    > - Reinhart

    Really.

    Why not go all the way and get a DVD/VCR/TV combo. That way, when any
    one of the three low-quality components fails, you will lose them all
    when the unit goes for service.

    The only combo units that I can tolerate are amplifiers with built in
    pre-amps, all-in-one receivers with pre-amp/amp/radio and TVs with built
    in tuners.

    One-Shot Scot, May 5, 2004
  12. TomH

    Justin Guest

    LASERandDVDfan wrote on [05 May 2004 04:31:45 GMT]:
    >>Can anybody recommend a good player that plays the most formats.
    >>Particularly both + and - R/RW and JPEG and any other that you think
    >>is important? I have a Panasonic that says it will play -R, but
    >>it doesn't.

    > Anything from Panasonic, Sony, Toshiba, JVC, Onkyo, Pioneer, or Yamaha. -

    The newer Toshibas, the 39x0 line, seems to be crap

    Justin, May 5, 2004
  13. TomH

    TomH Guest

    > >The Panasonics I saw don't support the +R/RW and my Panasonic is less than 2
    > >years old and won't play -R even though it says it does.

    > What brand of media are you using and at what speed are you burning them?
    >
    > Trying burning your DVD-R discs at a slower speed and consider using different
    > brands of DVD-R discs to find one that works best for you. - Reinhart

    TDK DVD-R 4x burnt at 4x speed. Plays on the Kids Xbox just fine, but not
    on my Panasonic. I'll try one at 2x speed and see if that works. The DVD
    of my daughters play, that was recorded by another dad, doesn't play either,
    but also plays on the Xbox. So regardless on if the slower burn't DVD plays
    or not, I'd like to get something more robust.

    TomH, May 5, 2004
  14. >I dont know what the deal is, but I've tried 3 different Panny's all bought
    >within the last year, and they all have choked on DVD-R's, had problems with
    >alot of my cd-rs, nor will they play XSVCDs I make

    Hmm.

    >the Pioneer 363 I
    >bought after returning the Panasonics plays all the media I've tried
    >flawlessly.

    Figures. I've noticed that Pioneer players were among some of the best players
    for reading recordable media.

    My recommendations were based on reading regular DVDs, although most players
    should be able to read recordable DVDs, but reliability and compatibility is
    usually not guaranteed in this regard.

    >Oh, and they are slow AND have really noisy transports.

    Dunno about noisy. Slow, on the other hand. Well, at least a Panasonic is
    nowhere near as slow as Funai. Those suckers take forever to load a DVD!

    I recall a time where my friend bought a Magnavox DVD player that was OEMed by
    Funai for $50 at a Best Buy. He had so much trouble with that player,
    including extremely slow loading times for discs and a few moments where the
    player rejected the disc after the long period of loading. One time, it took
    about two minutes for one disc to load. Then he checks out my Sony DVP-S360
    and it loads all of his discs in about two seconds. He voices his jealousy at
    how I had a better player than him. But, it worked out in the end for him. He
    sold his player to a pawn shop and got more money back than what he spent to
    buy it!

    And, there's more concerning the slow load times for Funai players. A
    TV/Stereo store I used to work at sold Philips and SV-2000 players that were
    also OEMed by Funai, and those things took forever to load discs as well. I
    could compare those players to the Commodore 1541 disk drives for the C64
    computer. The loading times for "Raid Over Moscow" and a bunch of other games
    certainly gave you more than enough time to go to the restroom and make a
    little snack with many seconds to spare. - Reinhart

    LASERandDVDfan, May 5, 2004
  15. >TDK DVD-R 4x burnt at 4x speed. Plays on the Kids Xbox just fine, but not
    >on my Panasonic. I'll try one at 2x speed and see if that works. The DVD
    >of my daughters play, that was recorded by another dad, doesn't play either,
    >but also plays on the Xbox.

    It could also be just an inability for the player to read DVD-R discs,
    unfortunately. - Reinhart

    LASERandDVDfan, May 5, 2004
  16. >Any player made within the last 2 years will play -R just fine...especially
    >Panasonic. They have some of the best recordable support there is. Panny
    >players supported them a full year before Sony/Toshiba/Onkyo/Denon ever
    >thought about it.
    >

    >"TomH" <> wrote in message
    >> Can anybody recommend a good player that plays the most formats.
    >> Particularly both + and - R/RW and JPEG and any other that you think
    >> is important? I have a Panasonic that says it will play -R, but
    >> it doesn't.
    >>

    >> -Tom

    I can't right off hand remember the Pioneer player I have, but it doesn DVD.
    CD, SACD, DVDA & a few other formants as well It cost around $500 and works
    like a charm. Thing is I set mine up to play only in Stereo so it works with
    either CD & SACD. Wonderful sound. Got it at Tweeters here in Chicago about a
    year ago this past January.

    Best,

    Mark Allen Zimmerman * Chicago

    MarkZimmerman, May 6, 2004
  17. TomH

    Biz Guest

    "MarkZimmerman" <> wrote in message
    > >Any player made within the last 2 years will play -R just

    fine...especially
    > >Panasonic. They have some of the best recordable support there is. Panny
    > >players supported them a full year before Sony/Toshiba/Onkyo/Denon ever
    > >thought about it.
    > >

    > >"TomH" <> wrote in message
    > >> Can anybody recommend a good player that plays the most formats.
    > >> Particularly both + and - R/RW and JPEG and any other that you think
    > >> is important? I have a Panasonic that says it will play -R, but
    > >> it doesn't.
    > >>

    > >> -Tom

    > I can't right off hand remember the Pioneer player I have, but it doesn

    DVD.
    > CD, SACD, DVDA & a few other formants as well It cost around $500 and

    works
    > like a charm. Thing is I set mine up to play only in Stereo so it works

    with
    > either CD & SACD. Wonderful sound. Got it at Tweeters here in Chicago

    about a
    > year ago this past January.
    >
    > Best,
    >
    > Mark Allen Zimmerman * Chicago

    Pioneer has an pretty good entry level universal player for about $150 or
    less, the 563A

    Biz, May 7, 2004