Player Maint ???

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Paul Huntley, Nov 26, 2004.

  1. Paul Huntley

    Paul Huntley Guest

    Hi--

    I own a Sony DVD player, mid-high range from 3 years ago. Most DVDs I
    play in this player will freeze, or skip (play to a certain point, then
    skip ahead several minutes or several scenes, then begin playing again),
    or otherwise become unplayable.

    This obviously is a player problem and no doubt maint is required. What
    are common mechanical/electronic/laser problems that could cause such
    artifacts?

    Is it worth sending the box back to the store/manufacturer for maint
    (warrenty now expired), or is it more economical to just buy a new
    player?

    Are there general preventive maint steps that should be taken to avert
    these problems?

    Thanks in advance,

    Paul Huntley
    San Jose, CA

    Paul Huntley, Nov 26, 2004

  2. On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 18:46:55 +0000, Paul Huntley wrote:

    > Is it worth sending the box back to the store/manufacturer for maint
    > (warrenty now expired), or is it more economical to just buy a new player?

    It isn't even worth expending energy walking it to the trash can if you
    can throw it instead. Not in this day and age of $29.95US players - or
    sometimes even less if you have a rebate. Heck, I saw one in WalMart for
    40 bucks, but with both a manufacturers and store rebate which brought the
    price to 15 dollars.

    So, how much 2 dollar gas will it take for you to drive to the store to
    drop it off, drive back to argue, then drive back again to hopefully pick
    up your "repaired" player?

    I wouldn't even consider a player under warranty worth taking back to get
    fixed, unless they just give me a new one.

    JP

    Jimmy Phillips, Nov 26, 2004

  3. Paul Huntley

    Rich Clark Guest

    "Paul Huntley" <> wrote in message
    > Hi--
    >
    > I own a Sony DVD player, mid-high range from 3 years ago. Most DVDs I
    > play in this player will freeze, or skip (play to a certain point, then
    > skip ahead several minutes or several scenes, then begin playing again),
    > or otherwise become unplayable.

    Depending on the model, you may be able to access the service menu and do a
    laser alignment, which may or may not help. Try googling <"service menu"
    sony [model#]>.

    > This obviously is a player problem and no doubt maint is required. What
    > are common mechanical/electronic/laser problems that could cause such
    > artifacts?
    >
    > Is it worth sending the box back to the store/manufacturer for maint
    > (warrenty now expired), or is it more economical to just buy a new
    > player?

    Buy a new player. It will be cheaper, and the new player will be more
    advanced.

    > Are there general preventive maint steps that should be taken to avert
    > these problems?

    Keep the player well ventilated. Heat build-up is the #1 cause of premature
    failure in DVD players.

    RichC

    Rich Clark, Nov 26, 2004
  4. Paul Huntley

    Stan Brown Guest

    "Paul Huntley" wrote in alt.video.dvd:
    >I own a Sony DVD player, mid-high range from 3 years ago.
    >Is it worth sending the box back to the store/manufacturer for maint
    >(warrenty now expired),

    Nope.

    Prices have fallen so far that DVD players, like VCRs, are not
    economical to maintain.

    And many low- to medium-priced players have features that rival the
    high-end players of three years ago.

    Aside from the features that you are already thinking of, there's one
    thing you want to look for: a player that will not pay attention to
    the disc disabling certain controls, e.g. the Universal unskippable
    commercials. There's a standard name for that player feature, but I
    can't remember it. Anyone?

    http://OakRoadSystems.com
    A: Maybe because some people are too annoyed by top-posting.
    A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
    Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

    Stan Brown, Nov 26, 2004
  5. Paul Huntley

    Paul Huntley Guest

    > Hi--
    >
    > I own a Sony DVD player, mid-high range from 3 years ago. Most DVDs I
    > play in this player will freeze, or skip (play to a certain point,

    then
    > skip ahead several minutes or several scenes, then begin playing

    again),
    > or otherwise become unplayable.

    Thanks Stan, Rich and JP--

    I was able to find the service manual for the Sony DVP-S570D player,
    however it kicked out of the alignment routine with an ERROR. So...I
    will take your advice regarding maint, and just pitch this one.

    Interesting about the ventilation...I had wondered if this was a heat
    problem...the player (along with VCR and cable box) are in an enclosed
    TV stand / cabinet. Looks like I'll need to come up with a different
    arrangment (back to the book shelf, I guess) next time.

    Thanks for the help, folks!

    Paul Huntley
    San Jose, CA

    Paul Huntley, Nov 27, 2004