    models?

    Best

    Den

    Den Murray, Apr 3, 2006

  2. Den Murray

    Patrick Guest

    Great for me and my Cyberhome 1600

    Patrick, Apr 3, 2006

  3. Den Murray

    Mal Guest

    "Den Murray" <> wrote in message
    > All:
    >
    > In general, what is the quality of the conversion from PAL->NTSC on DVD
    > players that have a built-in video standards conversion e.g. some of the
    > JVC models?
    >
    > Best
    >
    > Den

    Always wondered if the actual DVD has a video standard itself or if it just
    has a region code and the player converts the DVD data to PAL / NTSC / SECAM
    etc.

    The player doing the video signal would make more sense to me as the whole
    of Europe is R2 yet some areas are PAL and some SECAM

    anyone know for sure?

    Mal

    Mal, Apr 3, 2006
  4. Den Murray

    markymark Guest

    Den Murray wrote:
    > All:
    >
    > In general, what is the quality of the conversion from PAL->NTSC on DVD
    > players that have a built-in video standards conversion e.g. some of the JVC
    > models?

    Conversion is great on my OPPO OPDV971H

    markymark, Apr 3, 2006
  5. Den Murray

    Richard Guest

    On Mon, 3 Apr 2006 08:55:31 +0100, "Mal" <>
    wrote:

    >The player doing the video signal would make more sense to me as the whole
    >of Europe is R2 yet some areas are PAL and some SECAM

    Yes Europe is R2. But there is no such thing as a Secam DVD.
    In Europe all DVD are PAL system. Secam is only a broadcasting
    system in France and some East-European countries (such as
    Russia). All DVD players in Europe can read PAL and NTSC
    Dvd. All PAL Dvd are encoded with 720*576 pictures and
    a frame rate of 50 Hz (that is 25 images per second).

    By the way, Japan is also R2 but they use NTSC.

    Richard, Apr 3, 2006
  6. Den Murray

    Mal Guest

    "Richard" <*core*> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 3 Apr 2006 08:55:31 +0100, "Mal" <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>The player doing the video signal would make more sense to me as the whole
    >>of Europe is R2 yet some areas are PAL and some SECAM
    >>

    > Yes Europe is R2. But there is no such thing as a Secam DVD.
    > In Europe all DVD are PAL system. Secam is only a broadcasting
    > system in France and some East-European countries (such as
    > Russia). All DVD players in Europe can read PAL and NTSC
    > Dvd. All PAL Dvd are encoded with 720*576 pictures and
    > a frame rate of 50 Hz (that is 25 images per second).
    >
    > By the way, Japan is also R2 but they use NTSC.

    so ... being that R2 covers PAL, SECAM and NTSC standards there's no such
    thing as an NTSC, PAL or SECAM DVD ... only the region coding ... so there's
    no conversion of the video from PAL > NTSC > SECAM etc. ... the only
    conversion is from the digital data on the disc to a video signal. If your
    player is multi-region then it's going to display a R2 disc as good as it'll
    show a R1 disc.

    Mal, Apr 3, 2006
  7. Den Murray

    Mike S. Guest

    http://www.dvddemystified.com/dvdfaq.html#1.19

    Mike S., Apr 3, 2006
  8. Den Murray

    John Howells Guest

    "Mal" <> wrote

    > so ... being that R2 covers PAL, SECAM and NTSC standards there's no such
    > thing as an NTSC, PAL or SECAM DVD ... only the region coding ... so

    there's
    > no conversion of the video from PAL > NTSC > SECAM etc. ... the only
    > conversion is from the digital data on the disc to a video signal. If your
    > player is multi-region then it's going to display a R2 disc as good as

    it'll
    > show a R1 disc.

    No. There is more than just the region coding. An R2 disk for Japan is
    different from an R2 disk for Europe.

    There are two basic video encoding standards, 720x576 and 720x480 (Pixels
    Horizontal x Pixels Vertical). So-called PAL disks use the former and NTSC
    disks use the latter. See http://www.dvddemystified.com/dvdfaq.html#3.4

    The end result is that there *IS* video standards conversion when a PAL disk
    is played back on an NTSC only TV.

    John Howells

    John Howells, Apr 3, 2006
  9. Den Murray

    Biz Guest

    There is no such thing as a a SECAM DVD......
    But there are PAL and NTSC DVDs.......hopefully that is clear to you now..

    Biz, Apr 3, 2006
  10. Den Murray

    Gary Guest

    "Den Murray" <> wrote in message
    > All:
    >
    > In general, what is the quality of the conversion from PAL->NTSC on DVD
    > players that have a built-in video standards conversion e.g. some of the

    JVC
    > models?

    If the PAL DVD is 4:3 and full screen, or letter boxed, it should be ok,
    however the display of the PAL scan lines thru conversion will vary by
    player.

    If the PAL DVD is Anamorphic Widescreen 16:9 it may not work properly and
    only a few NTSC/PAL players can scale a Anamorphic PAL disc to a NTSC TV.

    Gary, Apr 4, 2006
  11. Den Murray

    Richard C. Guest

    "Gary" <> wrote in message

    > "Den Murray" <> wrote in message
    >> All:
    >>
    >> In general, what is the quality of the conversion from PAL->NTSC on DVD
    >> players that have a built-in video standards conversion e.g. some of the

    > JVC
    >> models?

    > If the PAL DVD is 4:3 and full screen, or letter boxed, it should be ok,
    > however the display of the PAL scan lines thru conversion will vary by
    > player.
    >
    > If the PAL DVD is Anamorphic Widescreen 16:9 it may not work properly and
    > only a few NTSC/PAL players can scale a Anamorphic PAL disc to a NTSC TV.

    ================================
    My new "all-region" Pioneer DV578A-s does it all perfectly.
    It was only $159 from International Video and Electronics.

    http://www.regioncodefreedvd.com/pioneer578.html

    I am impressed. Now I wonder why I need my $1200 Pioneer Elite 47 player.

    Richard C., Apr 4, 2006
  12. Den Murray

    Mike S. Guest

    In article <MSlYf.1948$Vy3.1083@trndny02>, Gary <> wrote:

    >"Den Murray" <> wrote in message
    >> All:
    >>
    >> In general, what is the quality of the conversion from PAL->NTSC on DVD
    >> players that have a built-in video standards conversion e.g. some of the

    >JVC
    >> models?

    >If the PAL DVD is 4:3 and full screen, or letter boxed, it should be ok,
    >however the display of the PAL scan lines thru conversion will vary by
    >player.
    >
    >If the PAL DVD is Anamorphic Widescreen 16:9 it may not work properly and
    >only a few NTSC/PAL players can scale a Anamorphic PAL disc to a NTSC TV.

    Actually, that _used_ to be true; say 3 years ago - the era of the Apex,
    Shinco, and others that used the ESS chipsets. Most of the NTSC/PAL
    players on shelves in the last couple of years, even the real cheapies,
    use chipsets like the MediaTek, which properly scale anamorphic frames at
    the same time as doing the standards conversion. Even the much-maligned
    $30 Cyberhome player can do this with ease.

    Mike S., Apr 4, 2006
  13. Den Murray

    Den Murray Guest

    So if I may ask two supplementary questions ...

    (1) Why is the conversion quality from PAL->NTSC so good with a DVD player,
    when all but the most expensive external video standards converters only
    offer poor-ish conversion.

    (2) Really dumb -->> How do I know when I buy a DVD player if it will output
    an NTSC signal when playing a PAL DVD?

    Best

    Den

    Den Murray, Apr 5, 2006
  14. Den Murray

    Steve Guest

    On Wed, 05 Apr 2006 04:50:28 GMT, "Den Murray" <> wrote:

    >So if I may ask two supplementary questions ...
    >
    >(1) Why is the conversion quality from PAL->NTSC so good with a DVD player,
    >when all but the most expensive external video standards converters only
    >offer poor-ish conversion.

    Modern broadcast Standards convertors do a very good job indeed,
    virtually invisible. Conversions done by the local corner video store
    use analog out through the convertor and back to analog, losing both
    resolution and accurate colour values. The DVD is already in an
    accurate digital format and Hue and saturation are not changed nor is
    there a loss in (horizontal) resolution when coming off the disc.

    >(2) Really dumb -->> How do I know when I buy a DVD player if it will output
    >an NTSC signal when playing a PAL DVD?

    Try it in the store!

    ... Steve ..

    Steve, Apr 5, 2006
  15. Den Murray

    Guest

    , Apr 5, 2006
  16. Den Murray

    kothtvideo Guest

    "Den Murray" <> wrote:

    >All:
    >
    >In general, what is the quality of the conversion from PAL->NTSC on DVD
    >players that have a built-in video standards conversion e.g. some of the JVC
    >models?
    >
    >Best
    >
    >Den

    Another PAL_NTSC question.
    I'm in Ontario, Canada. I only have region 1 dvds. I want to buy the
    complete "Morse" (and maybe Monty Python) dvd sets. These are best
    bought as Region 2.
    So I want to test my players (lg lda-531) ability to convert region 2
    to NTSC, for my tv. I can also try a cheapo diamondvision we have.
    If anyone over the pond could make me up a 'test' dvd I be happy to
    trade or reimburse.

    thanks

    kothtvideo, Apr 10, 2006
  17. On 4/10/2006, kothtvideo posted this:
    > "Den Murray" <> wrote:
    >
    >> All:
    >>
    >> In general, what is the quality of the conversion from PAL->NTSC on DVD
    >> players that have a built-in video standards conversion e.g. some of the JVC
    >> models?
    >>
    >> Best
    >>
    >> Den
    >>

    > Another PAL_NTSC question.
    > I'm in Ontario, Canada. I only have region 1 dvds. I want to buy the
    > complete "Morse" (and maybe Monty Python) dvd sets. These are best
    > bought as Region 2.
    > So I want to test my players (lg lda-531) ability to convert region 2
    > to NTSC, for my tv. I can also try a cheapo diamondvision we have.
    > If anyone over the pond could make me up a 'test' dvd I be happy to
    > trade or reimburse.
    >
    > thanks

    Region is region, and NTSC vs PAL is NTSC vs PAL.

    The region code is just a number, and the player is supposed to check
    the number and say "Wrong region" and refuse to play a disc if the
    region is ... wrong.

    For instance, there are other regions besides 1 that are NTSC (Japan,
    IIRC). You won't be able to play a Japanese disc without hacking your
    player for region.

    But after you hack your player for region, you still won't be able to
    play a PAL disc unless your player can convert.

    Usually the cheapest players are the ones with both capabilities or
    hackabilities (and maybe even the ability to ignore copy protection as
    well).

    Go to videohelp.com and check things out.

    Gino

    --
    Gene E. Bloch (Gino)
    letters617blochg3251

    Gene E. Bloch, Apr 10, 2006
  18. Den Murray

    Jukka Aho Guest

    kothtvideo wrote:

    > Another PAL_NTSC question.
    > I'm in Ontario, Canada. I only have region 1 dvds. I want to buy
    > the complete "Morse" (and maybe Monty Python) dvd sets. These are
    > best bought as Region 2.
    > So I want to test my players (lg lda-531) ability to convert
    > region 2 to NTSC, for my tv.

    PAL/NTSC and regions are two separate things. There are both Region 2
    NTSC discs (Japan belongs to Region 2) and Region 2 PAL discs.

    What you need is, first and foremost, a region-free player: either one
    that was already made region-free at the factory, or one that can be
    made region-free by entering codes on the remote, or one where the
    region can be freely changed (by entering codes on the remote) as many
    times as you wish, without restrictions.

    Whether the player can convert PAL formatted discs to NTSC on the fly is
    another matter, independent of regions, that needs to be addressed
    separately.

    > I can also try a cheapo diamondvision we have. If anyone over the
    > pond could make me up a 'test' dvd I be happy to trade or reimburse.

    You can quite easily burn a PAL-formatted Video DVD in just about any
    DVD authoring application. That will help you if you want to test
    whether your player allows playing back PAL-formatted Video DVDs in the
    original 625/50 signal format (one thing), or whether it converts (or
    has an option to convert) them to NTSC refresh rates and raster on the
    fly (another thing).

    What it doesn't help you with, though, is testing whether you player can
    play back Region 2 discs - which is yet another thing. Common consumer
    DVD-R media doesn't allow region coding, so regions can only be easily
    tested with a factory-pressed disc.

    --
    znark

    Jukka Aho, Apr 10, 2006
  19. Den Murray

    David Chien Guest

    > (2) Really dumb -->> How do I know when I buy a DVD player if it will output
    > an NTSC signal when playing a PAL DVD?

    If you buy the Philips DVP 642 player, it will do this for sure.
    Works for my Prime Suspect 6 UK PAL DVD. see www.videohelp.com -> dvd
    players -> Philips DVP642 for more info.

    David Chien, Apr 10, 2006
  20. Den Murray

    Marv Soloff Guest

    Philips 642 player is priced at $60.00 UDS at Target.

    Regards,

    Marv

    Marv Soloff, Apr 10, 2006