    a degree: the video was jerky and the sound was low and bad. I suspect that
    the DVD burner is too slow. Is this correct? Or am I missing some other
    software or updates?

    steve podleski, Nov 19, 2005

  2. steve podleski

    Biz Guest

    What player software are you trying to use? These are the best:

    WinDVD www.intervideo.com
    PowerDVD www.gocyberlink.com

    or Media Player Classic
    http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=82303&package_id=84358

    "steve podleski" <> wrote in message
    > I have never played a video DVD so I am a newbie at it.
    >
    > I recently bought a set of Lord of the Rings DVDs. I do not have DVD

    player
    > or a DVD-ROM on my PC. I have a DVD burner. I tried playing a DVD with the
    > software that came with the DVD set, but I got some strange error from the
    > player software that came with the DVD set: some problem about 'DVD
    > navigator'. I tried changing the display settings and downloaded the

    latest

    Biz, Nov 19, 2005

  3. The Lord of the Rings DVD set came with InterActual.

    steve podleski, Nov 20, 2005
  4. steve podleski

    M.B. Guest

    steve podleski wrote:
    > The Lord of the Rings DVD set came with InterActual.

    That's not an actual DVD video player. You need to have somethig like
    WinDVD or PowerDVD installed in order to play a DVD. Those are the two
    best commercial programs as Biz recommended. And likewise, for a free
    DVD player, you can't go wrong with Media Player Classic although you do
    miss some of the functionality from the commercial counterparts.

    You will get a lot of DVDs that will want to install the InterActual
    crap on your computer. It's a waste of time and don't bother ever
    installing them.

    M.B., Nov 20, 2005
  5. steve podleski

    Biz Guest

    You still need regular dvd player software installed to play the dvds. The
    interactual player is just a fancy interface for an already installed player
    and it allows access to certain extras you couldnt get to otherwise which
    you can read about here.

    http://player.interactual.com/default.asp?code=AP

    InterActual Features can be enjoyed on any Windows computer with a
    Direct-Show compatible DVD player/decoder and DVD-ROM drive. The system has
    to be able to play DVD Video (minimally) to enjoy InterActual Features.

    Microsoft Windows 98se / Me / XP:InterActual software is integrated with the
    most popular DVD player/decoder available-- InterVideo WinDVD (released
    December 2003). This is the best way to experience InterActual Features,
    since you get all the benefits of WinDVD and InterActual compatibility in
    one solution.

    Biz, Nov 20, 2005
  6. steve podleski

    Gilgamesh Guest

    > The Lord of the Rings DVD set came with InterActual.

    If you loaded InterActual then get rid of it, its loaded with SpyWare.

    Gilgamesh, Nov 20, 2005
  7. steve podleski

    Bob Guest

    On Sun, 20 Nov 2005 21:06:47 +1030, "Gilgamesh"
    <> wrote:

    >If you loaded InterActual then get rid of it, its loaded with SpyWare.

    So do most shareware applications. That's why my filter table in Kerio
    is filled with Deny rules.

    --

    BOYCOTT SONY!

    SONY IS TRYING TO TAKE OVER YOUR COMPUTER!

    HOMELAND SECURITY TOLD SONY TO CEASE AND DESIST!

    YOU DO THE SAME - BOYCOTT SONY!

    Bob, Nov 20, 2005
  8. Done!

    Thanks for the tip.

    steve podleski, Nov 21, 2005
  9. Bix and M.B.

    Thanks for your help.

    I've downloaded a trial version of WinDVD and now the DVD can now be viewed
    on my DVD burner.

    steve podleski, Nov 21, 2005
  10. "steve podleski" wrote ...
    >I have never played a video DVD so I am a newbie at it.
    >
    > I recently bought a set of Lord of the Rings DVDs. I do not have DVD
    > player
    > or a DVD-ROM on my PC. I have a DVD burner. I tried playing a DVD with the
    > software that came with the DVD set,

    And what software is that?

    > but I got some strange error from the
    > player software that came with the DVD set: some problem about 'DVD
    > navigator'. I tried changing the display settings and downloaded the
    > latest
    > firmware of the DVD burner . I tried playing the DVD again and it worked
    > a degree: the video was jerky and the sound was low and bad. I suspect
    > that
    > the DVD burner is too slow. Is this correct? Or am I missing some other
    > software or updates?

    Hard to tell, but it may be that your computer is too slow ... most any DVD
    drive will play fast enough to watch a DVD movie.

    --
    Richard Amirault N1JDU
    Boston, MA, USA Go Fly A Kite

    Richard Amirault, Nov 21, 2005
  11. steve podleski

    Scarletdown Guest

    On Sat, 2005-11-19 at 14:24 -0800, steve podleski wrote:
    > I have never played a video DVD so I am a newbie at it.
    >
    > I recently bought a set of Lord of the Rings DVDs. I do not have DVD player
    > or a DVD-ROM on my PC. I have a DVD burner. I tried playing a DVD with the
    > software that came with the DVD set, but I got some strange error from the
    > player software that came with the DVD set: some problem about 'DVD
    > navigator'. I tried changing the display settings and downloaded the latest
    > firmware of the DVD burner . I tried playing the DVD again and it worked to
    > a degree: the video was jerky and the sound was low and bad. I suspect that
    > the DVD burner is too slow. Is this correct? Or am I missing some other
    > software or updates?

    I know this is an old message I'm replying to. But you and others may
    find this useful...

    Something else you can try is to use the DVD burner to make an ISO image
    of the DVD, and save it on your hard drive. Then, download and install
    Alcohol 120%. This will let you mount the ISO image as if it was an
    actual physical DVD in a DVD drive, and you should be able to play it
    that way with any media player that can play real DVDs.

    --
    Scarletdown
    (Spamfoil in place. Lift MYTAILFEATHERS to reply via email.)

    Scarletdown, May 30, 2006