    also what it means when it says "Can Play DivX®" on some DVD player?

    any advice please
    Thanks
    tim, Nov 19, 2006

  2. tim

    gangle Guest

    "tim" wrote
    > Hi
    >
    > I have some AVI and MPEG format videos like 700MB each .
    >
    > I have burned some as DATA CD or DVD.
    >
    > I want to buy a DVD player that could play data cd of AVI and Mpeg video
    > files and it will play them
    > like on computer?
    >
    > also what it means when it says "Can Play DivX®" on some DVD player?

    DivX and Xvid are CODECS.

    AVI files are Microsoft's invention (Audio Video Interleaving).
    Raw AVI files are so HUGE that the video portion must be
    COMPRESSED; so, all AVI files you will encounter will have
    been compressed using one of many available CODECS (short
    for COmpresser-DECompressor). Your Windows Media Player
    (or other players) cannot play the video portion of an AVI
    if the particular codec used to make the AVI has not
    been installed on your computer. Remember the opposite:
    If you download an AVI and the video plays, you must have
    *already* installed the necessary codec.

    So, a stand-alone DVD player must also have the appropriate
    codec installed to play a compressed AVI. Any DVD player
    that says "Can Play DivX®" should be able to play a DivX-
    or Xvid-compressed AVI that has been burned to a CD/DVD
    as data.

    As for MPEGs: to play on stand-alone players, the MPEG
    *usually* must be either in the VCD format or SVCD formats:
    A VCD is an MPEG-1 (codec) format that adheres to
    a specific range of video bitrate and sound parameters;
    the reason being that burning software will recognize such a
    VCD file(s), and burn it/them in such a way upon a CD/DVD,
    that it will not only be playable on the computer, but that a
    stand-alone DVD player will recognize and play it. The quality
    of a VCD file is "OK" -- VCDs, by design, use 10 MB (or less)
    per minute, so a standard 700 MB CD will hold 70 minutes of
    standard VCD format MPGs.
    An SVCD uses the MPEG-2 codec, and will burn onto
    a CD or DVD @ 20 MB per minute, so a standard 700 MB CD
    will carry 35 minutes of a standard SVCD. As with VCD, a
    recently made, stand-alone DVD player should recognize and
    play a CD/DVD burned using the SVCD format.

    Phillips makes Divx/Xvid compatible players, such as
    the DVP642, but I have no first hand knowledge as
    to quality or reliability.
    gangle, Nov 19, 2006

  3. tim

    tim Guest

    "gangle" <> wrote in message
    > "tim" wrote
    >> Hi
    >>
    >> I have some AVI and MPEG format videos like 700MB each .
    >>
    >> I have burned some as DATA CD or DVD.
    >>
    >> I want to buy a DVD player that could play data cd of AVI and Mpeg video
    >> files and it will play them
    >> like on computer?
    >>
    >> also what it means when it says "Can Play DivX®" on some DVD player?

    > DivX and Xvid are CODECS.
    >
    > AVI files are Microsoft's invention (Audio Video Interleaving).
    > Raw AVI files are so HUGE that the video portion must be
    > COMPRESSED; so, all AVI files you will encounter will have
    > been compressed using one of many available CODECS (short
    > for COmpresser-DECompressor). Your Windows Media Player
    > (or other players) cannot play the video portion of an AVI
    > if the particular codec used to make the AVI has not
    > been installed on your computer. Remember the opposite:
    > If you download an AVI and the video plays, you must have
    > *already* installed the necessary codec.
    >
    > So, a stand-alone DVD player must also have the appropriate
    > codec installed to play a compressed AVI. Any DVD player
    > that says "Can Play DivX®" should be able to play a DivX-
    > or Xvid-compressed AVI that has been burned to a CD/DVD
    > as data.
    >
    > As for MPEGs: to play on stand-alone players, the MPEG
    > *usually* must be either in the VCD format or SVCD formats:
    > A VCD is an MPEG-1 (codec) format that adheres to
    > a specific range of video bitrate and sound parameters;
    > the reason being that burning software will recognize such a
    > VCD file(s), and burn it/them in such a way upon a CD/DVD,
    > that it will not only be playable on the computer, but that a
    > stand-alone DVD player will recognize and play it. The quality
    > of a VCD file is "OK" -- VCDs, by design, use 10 MB (or less)
    > per minute, so a standard 700 MB CD will hold 70 minutes of
    > standard VCD format MPGs.
    > An SVCD uses the MPEG-2 codec, and will burn onto
    > a CD or DVD @ 20 MB per minute, so a standard 700 MB CD
    > will carry 35 minutes of a standard SVCD. As with VCD, a
    > recently made, stand-alone DVD player should recognize and
    > play a CD/DVD burned using the SVCD format.
    >
    > Phillips makes Divx/Xvid compatible players, such as
    > the DVP642, but I have no first hand knowledge as
    > to quality or reliability.

    Thanks Mate

    really appreciate your detailed explanation. I enjoyed reading it.

    I will buy one and will check if it works OK.

    Thanks
    tim, Nov 19, 2006
  4. "tim" <> wrote:

    >Hi
    >
    >I have some AVI and MPEG format videos like

    700MB each .

    >I have burned some as DATA CD or DVD.
    >
    >I want to buy a DVD player that could play data

    cd of AVI and Mpeg video
    >files and it will play them
    >like on computer?
    >
    >also what it means when it says "Can Play

    DivX®" on some DVD player?

    >any advice please
    >Thanks

    I have a NISSAN DV100S digital media mpeg4 dvd player

    http://reviews.cnet.co.uk/dvdpvr/0,39030416,39190873,00.htm

    It plays files which are:

    (1) mpeg2 files recorded using a tv-card
    and (2) divx/avi files which could be tv-shows / movies dnlded from internet

    And which have been burned to DVD-RW or DVD-R disks using NERO

    You can get upto 12 40mins shows on a disk.

    It cost (IIRC) around £60 and bought from maplins (in England)
    - but that was ~ year ago.

    It's been one of my better buys !.

    EP.

    ps. rarely an avi file won't play. When this happens I try reencoding
    it using the free divx-encoder or any-other-I-happen-upon.
    And sometimes the player will play the new version.
    English Patient, Nov 19, 2006
  5. tim

    GaryB Guest

    I have the Philips DVP 642.
    Inexpensive, looks great, and works just like Gangle said.

    GaryB, Nov 19, 2006
  6. tim

    ProfGene Guest

    tim wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > I have some AVI and MPEG format videos like 700MB each .
    >
    > I have burned some as DATA CD or DVD.
    >
    > I want to buy a DVD player that could play data cd of AVI and Mpeg video
    > files and it will play them
    > like on computer?
    >
    > also what it means when it says "Can Play DivX®" on some DVD player?
    >

    > any advice please
    > Thanks

    Most of the newer players will do it. I have a Sony that plays avis and
    mpegs and even views jpg's as a slide show. Some of the older players
    can't do it. Just put them on a DVD or CD.
    ProfGene, Nov 20, 2006
  7. tim

    Ragz Guest

    I have 2 divx/mp4 players and yes you burn them as data, you can buy them
    from uk aldi stores for £39 and for that they also read sd cards and you can
    plug your mp3 into them also. I have hundreds of movies on my pc and was
    sick of burning cds so now I have my pc set up to my tv with an svideo cable
    and that has ended my need to burn and I just watch the movies direct from
    my pc....Ragz

    Ragz, Nov 21, 2006