    the sun results in them heating up faster and hotter than metal-bodied
    units. I once measured the temperature of a plastic car dashboard in
    direct sunlight. 160 F.
    RichA, Oct 3, 2011

  2. RichA

    Charles Guest

    "RichA" wrote in message
    news:...

    I did the temperature test three times where you measure the temp of
    the bodies and watch how fast they heat up in the sun. I wasn't sure
    why. Then I came across an article on the state of production
    lasers. Turns out, the old longer wavelength (IR) C02 lasers are
    still preferred over (or haven't been displaced) by shorter wavelength
    fiber and disk lasers because plastics and fabrics absorb more in the
    longer wavelengths. So, now I know why leaving a plastic body/lens in
    the sun results in them heating up faster and hotter than metal-bodied
    units. I once measured the temperature of a plastic car dashboard in
    direct sunlight. 160 F.

    http://jap.aip.org/resource/1/japiau/v38/i8/p3266_s1?isAuthorized=no

    You can rent the above article, and then read it, and then report back.
    Costs less than two US bucks!

    Seriously, why do you insist on blathering about topics that you clearly do
    not understand?
    Charles, Oct 3, 2011

  3. RichA

    Ray Fischer Guest

    RichA <> wrote:
    >I did the temperature test three times where you measure the temp of
    >the bodies and watch how fast they heat up in the sun.

    And nobody cares.

    > I wasn't sure
    >why.

    You're a loser with too much free time?

    > Then I came across an article on the state of production
    >lasers. Turns out, the old longer wavelength (IR) C02 lasers are
    >still preferred over (or haven't been displaced) by shorter wavelength
    >fiber and disk lasers because plastics and fabrics absorb more in the

    Gesundheit.

    Ray Fischer, Oct 9, 2011