Plastic turns boys into "nancy boys."

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by RichA, Nov 16, 2009.

  1. RichA

    RichA Guest

    BBC:

    Toxins in plastic 'feminise boys'

    Chemicals in plastics alter the brains of baby boys making them "more
    feminine", say US researchers.

    Males exposed to high doses in the womb went on to be less likely to
    play with boys' toys like cars or to join in rough and tumble games,
    they found.

    The University of Rochester team's latest work adds to concerns about
    the safety of phthalates, found in vinyl flooring and PVC shower
    curtains.

    The findings are reported in the International Journal of Andrology.

    Plastic furniture

    Phthalates have the ability to disrupt hormones, and have been banned
    in toys in the EU for some years.

    However, they are still widely used in many different household items,
    including plastic furniture and packaging.

    There are many different types and some mimic the female hormone
    oestrogen.
    “ This feminising capacity of phthalates makes them true 'gender
    benders' ”
    Elizabeth Salter-Green, director of CHEM Trust

    The same researchers have already shown that this can mean boys are
    born with genital abnormalities.

    Now they say certain phthalates also impact on the developing brain,
    by knocking out the action of the male hormone testosterone.

    Dr Shanna Swan and her team tested urine samples from mothers over
    midway through pregnancy for traces of phthalates.

    The women, who gave birth to 74 boys and 71 girls, were followed up
    when their children were aged four to seven and asked about the toys
    the youngsters played with and the games they enjoyed.

    Girls' play

    They found that two phthalates DEHP and DBP can affect play behaviour.

    Boys exposed to high levels of these in the womb were less likely than
    other boys to play with cars, trains and guns or engage in "rougher"
    games like playfighting.
    PHTHALATES
    # There are many different types and the most commonly used are deemed
    entirely safe by regulators
    # DEHP - used to make PVC soft and pliable and used in products like
    flooring
    # DBP - used as a plasticiser in glues, dyes and textiles

    Elizabeth Salter-Green, director of the chemicals campaign group CHEM
    Trust, said the results were worrying.

    "We now know that phthalates, to which we are all constantly exposed,
    are extremely worrying from a health perspective, leading to
    disruption of male reproduction health and, it appears, male behaviour
    too.

    "This feminising capacity of phthalates makes them true 'gender
    benders'."

    She acknowledged that the boys who have been studied were still young,
    but she said reduced masculine play at this age might lead to other
    feminised developments in later life.

    But Tim Edgar, of the European Council for Plasticisers and
    Intermediates, said: "We need to get some scientific experts to look
    at this study in more detail before we can make a proper judgement."

    He said there were many different phthalates in use and the study
    concerned two of the less commonly used types that were on the EU
    candidate list as potentially hazardous and needing authorisation for
    use.

    DBP has been banned from use in cosmetics, such as nail varnish, since
    2005 in the EU.
     
    RichA, Nov 16, 2009
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. RichA

    John A. Guest

    On Mon, 16 Nov 2009 03:55:05 -0800 (PST), RichA <>
    wrote:

    >BBC:
    >
    > Toxins in plastic 'feminise boys'
    >
    >Chemicals in plastics alter the brains of baby boys making them "more
    >feminine", say US researchers.
    >
    >Males exposed to high doses in the womb went on to be less likely to
    >play with boys' toys like cars or to join in rough and tumble games,
    >they found.
    >
    >The University of Rochester team's latest work adds to concerns about
    >the safety of phthalates, found in vinyl flooring and PVC shower
    >curtains.
    >
    >The findings are reported in the International Journal of Andrology.
    >
    >Plastic furniture
    >
    >Phthalates have the ability to disrupt hormones, and have been banned
    >in toys in the EU for some years.
    >
    >However, they are still widely used in many different household items,
    >including plastic furniture and packaging.
    >
    >There are many different types and some mimic the female hormone
    >oestrogen.
    >“ This feminising capacity of phthalates makes them true 'gender
    >benders' ”
    >Elizabeth Salter-Green, director of CHEM Trust
    >
    >The same researchers have already shown that this can mean boys are
    >born with genital abnormalities.
    >
    >Now they say certain phthalates also impact on the developing brain,
    >by knocking out the action of the male hormone testosterone.
    >
    >Dr Shanna Swan and her team tested urine samples from mothers over
    >midway through pregnancy for traces of phthalates.
    >
    >The women, who gave birth to 74 boys and 71 girls, were followed up
    >when their children were aged four to seven and asked about the toys
    >the youngsters played with and the games they enjoyed.
    >
    >Girls' play
    >
    >They found that two phthalates DEHP and DBP can affect play behaviour.
    >
    >Boys exposed to high levels of these in the womb were less likely than
    >other boys to play with cars, trains and guns or engage in "rougher"
    >games like playfighting.
    >PHTHALATES
    ># There are many different types and the most commonly used are deemed
    >entirely safe by regulators
    ># DEHP - used to make PVC soft and pliable and used in products like
    >flooring
    ># DBP - used as a plasticiser in glues, dyes and textiles
    >
    >Elizabeth Salter-Green, director of the chemicals campaign group CHEM
    >Trust, said the results were worrying.
    >
    >"We now know that phthalates, to which we are all constantly exposed,
    >are extremely worrying from a health perspective, leading to
    >disruption of male reproduction health and, it appears, male behaviour
    >too.
    >
    >"This feminising capacity of phthalates makes them true 'gender
    >benders'."
    >
    >She acknowledged that the boys who have been studied were still young,
    >but she said reduced masculine play at this age might lead to other
    >feminised developments in later life.
    >
    >But Tim Edgar, of the European Council for Plasticisers and
    >Intermediates, said: "We need to get some scientific experts to look
    >at this study in more detail before we can make a proper judgement."
    >
    >He said there were many different phthalates in use and the study
    >concerned two of the less commonly used types that were on the EU
    >candidate list as potentially hazardous and needing authorisation for
    >use.
    >
    >DBP has been banned from use in cosmetics, such as nail varnish, since
    >2005 in the EU.


    So... don't lick your camera?
     
    John A., Nov 16, 2009
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. RichA

    Ofnuts Guest

    Neil Harrington wrote:
    > "RichA" <> wrote in message
    > news:...
    > BBC:
    >
    > Toxins in plastic 'feminise boys'
    >
    > Chemicals in plastics alter the brains of baby boys making them "more
    > feminine", say US researchers.
    >
    > Males exposed to high doses in the womb went on to be less likely to
    > play with boys' toys like cars or to join in rough and tumble games,
    > they found.
    >
    > [ . . . ]
    >
    > That's interesting. Maybe we should produce tons and tons of that stuff,
    > convert it into an aerosol and spray it all over the Middle East.


    Do it the world over. Better safe than sorry.

    --
    Bertrand
     
    Ofnuts, Nov 16, 2009
    #3
  4. RichA

    Twibil Guest

    On Nov 16, 9:39 am, Alan Browne <>
    wrote:
    >
    >
    > I think we're beginning to discover some disturbing things about RichA.


    "Beginning"?
     
    Twibil, Nov 16, 2009
    #4
  5. RichA

    Twibil Guest

    On Nov 16, 3:55 am, RichA <> wrote:
    >
    >
    >  Toxins in plastic 'feminise boys'


    Cool! It's obvious that to solve the world's overpopulation problems
    we need only to begin producing *far* more plastic cameras!

    Thanx for your help.
     
    Twibil, Nov 16, 2009
    #5
  6. RichA

    RichA Guest

    Twibil wrote:
    > On Nov 16, 3:55 am, RichA <> wrote:
    > >
    > >
    > >  Toxins in plastic 'feminise boys'

    >
    > Cool! It's obvious that to solve the world's overpopulation problems
    > we need only to begin producing *far* more plastic cameras!
    >
    > Thanx for your help.


    If you people are truly worried about overpopulation, then why not
    self-abort? Do it for the good of the planet. Lead by example.
     
    RichA, Nov 17, 2009
    #6
  7. RichA

    Wisdom Guest

    On Mon, 16 Nov 2009 16:36:49 -0800 (PST), RichA <>
    wrote:

    >
    >
    >Twibil wrote:
    >> On Nov 16, 3:55 am, RichA <> wrote:
    >> >
    >> >
    >> >  Toxins in plastic 'feminise boys'

    >>
    >> Cool! It's obvious that to solve the world's overpopulation problems
    >> we need only to begin producing *far* more plastic cameras!
    >>
    >> Thanx for your help.

    >
    > If you people are truly worried about overpopulation, then why not
    >self-abort? Do it for the good of the planet. Lead by example.


    It would be more correct and efficient to abort, or at least permanently
    sterilize, all those that don't think there's an overpopulation problem.
    They are, after all, the ones that are directly causing the overpopulation
    problem. We don't need their self-serving and ignorance-prone genetics
    anymore.
     
    Wisdom, Nov 17, 2009
    #7
  8. RichA

    Twibil Guest

    On Nov 16, 4:36 pm, RichA <> wrote:
    >
    >
    >  If you people are truly worried about overpopulation, then why not
    > self-abort?  Do it for the good of the planet.  Lead by example.


    Sorry, sweetlips, I'm not "you people".
     
    Twibil, Nov 17, 2009
    #8
  9. RichA

    RichA Guest

    On Nov 16, 8:45 pm, Twibil <> wrote:
    > On Nov 16, 4:36 pm, RichA <> wrote:
    >
    >
    >
    > >  If you people are truly worried about overpopulation, then why not
    > > self-abort?  Do it for the good of the planet.  Lead by example.

    >
    > Sorry, sweetlips, I'm not "you people".


    Hypocrisy comes in all shapes and sizes. I think you're motto (and
    that of your compatriots) should be the old British one; "I'm alright
    Jack." Which basically means, "I've got mine, and to Hell with all the
    rest."
     
    RichA, Nov 17, 2009
    #9
  10. RichA

    RichA Guest

    On Nov 16, 7:48 pm, Wisdom <> wrote:
    > On Mon, 16 Nov 2009 16:36:49 -0800 (PST), RichA <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >
    >
    > >Twibil wrote:
    > >> On Nov 16, 3:55 am, RichA <> wrote:

    >
    > >> >  Toxins in plastic 'feminise boys'

    >
    > >> Cool!  It's obvious that to solve the world's overpopulation problems
    > >> we need only to begin producing *far* more plastic cameras!

    >
    > >> Thanx for your help.

    >
    > > If you people are truly worried about overpopulation, then why not
    > >self-abort?  Do it for the good of the planet.  Lead by example.

    >
    > It would be more correct and efficient to abort, or at least permanently
    > sterilize, all those that don't think there's an overpopulation problem.
    > They are, after all, the ones that are directly causing the overpopulation
    > problem. We don't need their self-serving and ignorance-prone genetics
    > anymore.


    Do you live in a mud hut or tin shack and consume next to zero raw
    materials, energy, etc? If not, you live better (and with far more
    amenities) than 75% of the planet. Doesn't it make you feel ashamed,
    given your expressed opinion?
     
    RichA, Nov 17, 2009
    #10
  11. RichA

    Twibil Guest

    On Nov 16, 6:37 pm, RichA <> wrote:
    >
    >
    > > >  If you people are truly worried about overpopulation, then why not
    > > > self-abort?  Do it for the good of the planet.  Lead by example.

    >
    > > Sorry, sweetlips, I'm not "you people".

    >
    > Hypocrisy comes in all shapes and sizes.  


    You'd know.

    > I think you're motto (and that of your compatriots) should be the old British one;  "I'm alright
    > Jack." Which basically means, "I've got mine, and to Hell with all the
    > rest."


    (1) "You're" is a contraction of "you are", while "your" is the
    possesive. So you just wrote "you are motto", which suggests that
    you're trying to invent your (see the difference?) own new language.

    (2) "com·pa·tri·ot (k m-p tr - t, - t ). n. 1. A person from one's own
    country." I strongly suspect that you'll find more than one point of
    view in any country you examine; therefore your use of the word
    "compatriot" makes no more sense than "you are motto" did. And all
    this within a mere nine words! Tsk!

    (3) Too bad you're a humorless twit and don't know when you've been
    run up the flag pole to see if anyone will salute. (Alas for you,
    you're the only one who did.)

    (4) Your proposed motto doesn't fit the circumstances in any case. I'm
    quite concerned with mental health for instance; and with yours in
    particular.

    (5) Seek help.
     
    Twibil, Nov 17, 2009
    #11
  12. RichA

    Guest

    On Mon, 16 Nov 2009 03:55:05 -0800 (PST), RichA <> wrote:

    >BBC:
    >
    > Toxins in plastic 'feminise boys'
    >
    >Chemicals in plastics alter the brains of baby boys making them "more
    >feminine", say US researchers.
    >
    >Males exposed to high doses in the womb went on to be less likely to
    >play with boys' toys like cars or to join in rough and tumble games,
    >they found.


    I blame the Liberals for this.They think it's good.


    >The University of Rochester team's latest work adds to concerns about
    >the safety of phthalates, found in vinyl flooring and PVC shower
    >curtains.
    >
    >The findings are reported in the International Journal of Andrology.
    >
    >Plastic furniture
    >
    >Phthalates have the ability to disrupt hormones, and have been banned
    >in toys in the EU for some years.
    >
    >However, they are still widely used in many different household items,
    >including plastic furniture and packaging.
    >
    >There are many different types and some mimic the female hormone
    >oestrogen.
    >“ This feminising capacity of phthalates makes them true 'gender
    >benders' ”
    >Elizabeth Salter-Green, director of CHEM Trust
    >
    >The same researchers have already shown that this can mean boys are
    >born with genital abnormalities.
    >
    >Now they say certain phthalates also impact on the developing brain,
    >by knocking out the action of the male hormone testosterone.
    >
    >Dr Shanna Swan and her team tested urine samples from mothers over
    >midway through pregnancy for traces of phthalates.
    >
    >The women, who gave birth to 74 boys and 71 girls, were followed up
    >when their children were aged four to seven and asked about the toys
    >the youngsters played with and the games they enjoyed.
    >
    >Girls' play
    >
    >They found that two phthalates DEHP and DBP can affect play behaviour.
    >
    >Boys exposed to high levels of these in the womb were less likely than
    >other boys to play with cars, trains and guns or engage in "rougher"
    >games like playfighting.
    >PHTHALATES
    ># There are many different types and the most commonly used are deemed
    >entirely safe by regulators
    ># DEHP - used to make PVC soft and pliable and used in products like
    >flooring
    ># DBP - used as a plasticiser in glues, dyes and textiles
    >
    >Elizabeth Salter-Green, director of the chemicals campaign group CHEM
    >Trust, said the results were worrying.
    >
    >"We now know that phthalates, to which we are all constantly exposed,
    >are extremely worrying from a health perspective, leading to
    >disruption of male reproduction health and, it appears, male behaviour
    >too.
    >
    >"This feminising capacity of phthalates makes them true 'gender
    >benders'."
    >
    >She acknowledged that the boys who have been studied were still young,
    >but she said reduced masculine play at this age might lead to other
    >feminised developments in later life.
    >
    >But Tim Edgar, of the European Council for Plasticisers and
    >Intermediates, said: "We need to get some scientific experts to look
    >at this study in more detail before we can make a proper judgement."
    >
    >He said there were many different phthalates in use and the study
    >concerned two of the less commonly used types that were on the EU
    >candidate list as potentially hazardous and needing authorisation for
    >use.
    >
    >DBP has been banned from use in cosmetics, such as nail varnish, since
    >2005 in the EU.
     
    , Nov 17, 2009
    #12
  13. RichA

    Ray Fischer Guest

    Re: Plastic turns Rich into idiot

    RichA <> wrote:
    >BBC:
    >
    > Toxins in plastic 'feminise boys'
    >
    >Chemicals in plastics alter the brains of baby boys making them "more
    >feminine", say US researchers.


    You really are an idiot. A dishonest creting who parrots every bit of
    dishonest propaganda you stumble across.

    --
    Ray Fischer
     
    Ray Fischer, Nov 17, 2009
    #13
  14. RichA

    Ray Fischer Guest

    Neil Harrington <> wrote:
    >"RichA" <> wrote in message
    >
    > Toxins in plastic 'feminise boys'
    >
    >Chemicals in plastics alter the brains of baby boys making them "more
    >feminine", say US researchers.
    >
    >Males exposed to high doses in the womb went on to be less likely to
    >play with boys' toys like cars or to join in rough and tumble games,
    >they found.
    >
    >[ . . . ]
    >
    >That's interesting. Maybe we should produce tons and tons of that stuff,
    >convert it into an aerosol and spray it all over the Middle East.


    Nothing like a rightard bigot to propose war crimes.

    --
    Ray Fischer
     
    Ray Fischer, Nov 17, 2009
    #14
  15. RichA

    Wisdom Guest

    On Mon, 16 Nov 2009 18:40:43 -0800 (PST), RichA <>
    wrote:

    >On Nov 16, 7:48 pm, Wisdom <> wrote:
    >> On Mon, 16 Nov 2009 16:36:49 -0800 (PST), RichA <>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >> >Twibil wrote:
    >> >> On Nov 16, 3:55 am, RichA <> wrote:

    >>
    >> >> >  Toxins in plastic 'feminise boys'

    >>
    >> >> Cool!  It's obvious that to solve the world's overpopulation problems
    >> >> we need only to begin producing *far* more plastic cameras!

    >>
    >> >> Thanx for your help.

    >>
    >> > If you people are truly worried about overpopulation, then why not
    >> >self-abort?  Do it for the good of the planet.  Lead by example.

    >>
    >> It would be more correct and efficient to abort, or at least permanently
    >> sterilize, all those that don't think there's an overpopulation problem.
    >> They are, after all, the ones that are directly causing the overpopulation
    >> problem. We don't need their self-serving and ignorance-prone genetics
    >> anymore.

    >
    >Do you live in a mud hut or tin shack and consume next to zero raw
    >materials, energy, etc? If not, you live better (and with far more
    >amenities) than 75% of the planet. Doesn't it make you feel ashamed,
    >given your expressed opinion?


    I'd reply with another answer that would make you look like a fool again,
    but it's best not to feed trolls like you.
     
    Wisdom, Nov 17, 2009
    #15
  16. RichA

    RichA Guest

    Re: Plastic turns Rich into idiot

    Ray Fischer wrote:
    > RichA <> wrote:
    > >BBC:
    > >
    > > Toxins in plastic 'feminise boys'
    > >
    > >Chemicals in plastics alter the brains of baby boys making them "more
    > >feminine", say US researchers.

    >
    > You really are an idiot. A dishonest creting who parrots every bit of
    > dishonest propaganda you stumble across.
    >
    > --
    > Ray Fischer
    >


    Didn't know you had a PhD in biology.
     
    RichA, Nov 17, 2009
    #16
  17. RichA

    RichA Guest

    Ray Fischer wrote:
    > Neil Harrington <> wrote:
    > >"RichA" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > Toxins in plastic 'feminise boys'
    > >
    > >Chemicals in plastics alter the brains of baby boys making them "more
    > >feminine", say US researchers.
    > >
    > >Males exposed to high doses in the womb went on to be less likely to
    > >play with boys' toys like cars or to join in rough and tumble games,
    > >they found.
    > >
    > >[ . . . ]
    > >
    > >That's interesting. Maybe we should produce tons and tons of that stuff,
    > >convert it into an aerosol and spray it all over the Middle East.

    >
    > Nothing like a rightard bigot to propose war crimes.
    >
    > --
    > Ray Fischer
    >


    Yes, because conventional bombs and bullets never do any harm, right?
    I love morons like you who can make some magical moral distinction
    between different types of weapons.
     
    RichA, Nov 17, 2009
    #17
  18. RichA

    Ray Fischer Guest

    RichA <> wrote:
    >Ray Fischer wrote:
    >> Neil Harrington <> wrote:
    >> >"RichA" <> wrote in message
    >> >
    >> > Toxins in plastic 'feminise boys'
    >> >
    >> >Chemicals in plastics alter the brains of baby boys making them "more
    >> >feminine", say US researchers.
    >> >
    >> >Males exposed to high doses in the womb went on to be less likely to
    >> >play with boys' toys like cars or to join in rough and tumble games,
    >> >they found.
    >> >
    >> >[ . . . ]
    >> >
    >> >That's interesting. Maybe we should produce tons and tons of that stuff,
    >> >convert it into an aerosol and spray it all over the Middle East.

    >>
    >> Nothing like a rightard bigot to propose war crimes.

    >
    >Yes, because conventional bombs and bullets never do any harm, right?


    Another rightard shows how stupid he is. Apparently the notion that
    bombs and bulets can be targeted while chemical warfare has been
    widely banned hasn't occured to him.

    --
    Ray Fischer
     
    Ray Fischer, Nov 17, 2009
    #18
  19. RichA

    Ray Fischer Guest

    Re: Plastic turns Rich into idiot

    RichA <> wrote:
    >Ray Fischer wrote:
    >> RichA <> wrote:
    >> >BBC:
    >> >
    >> > Toxins in plastic 'feminise boys'
    >> >
    >> >Chemicals in plastics alter the brains of baby boys making them "more
    >> >feminine", say US researchers.

    >>
    >> You really are an idiot. A dishonest cretin who parrots every bit of
    >> dishonest propaganda you stumble across.

    >
    >Didn't know you had a PhD in biology.


    Do you, rightard?

    --
    Ray Fischer
     
    Ray Fischer, Nov 17, 2009
    #19
  20. Re: Plastic turns Rich into idiot

    On Tue, 17 Nov 2009 09:49:19 -0800 (PST), RichA <>
    wrote this:

    >
    >
    >Ray Fischer wrote:
    >> RichA <> wrote:
    >> >BBC:
    >> >
    >> > Toxins in plastic 'feminise boys'
    >> >
    >> >Chemicals in plastics alter the brains of baby boys making them "more
    >> >feminine", say US researchers.

    >>
    >> You really are an idiot. A dishonest creting who parrots every bit of
    >> dishonest propaganda you stumble across.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Ray Fischer
    >>

    >
    >Didn't know you had a PhD in biology.


    In respect to you a PhD in anything is NOT required.
    All that is required is a read at your contributions.

    I suspect that you are a High Troll and enjoy trolling along.
    Nothing wrong with a bit of trolling. An honourable calling.
    But it is a personal impression and it is possible that I am
    reading too much into your un-mitigated out pouring of piffle.
    You may just be a bit of an idiot.....never mind.

    Now see you have a nice day.

    Francis (Really Glen!!!).
     
    Francis Lewise, Nov 17, 2009
    #20
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Alp
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    555
  2. promicro

    firefox turns off dialup

    promicro, Dec 15, 2004, in forum: Firefox
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    570
    Greg R
    Dec 15, 2004
  3. FD

    Mozilla turns off by itself

    FD, May 13, 2005, in forum: Firefox
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    564
    Moz Champion
    May 14, 2005
  4. RichA

    Turn your plastic camera into steel, STEEL!!

    RichA, Jun 17, 2011, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    7
    Views:
    551
    RichA
    Jun 18, 2011
  5. charles
    Replies:
    13
    Views:
    1,013
    Wolfgang Weisselberg
    Sep 3, 2011
Loading...

Share This Page