    IMO, I'd limit strap-carry of such cameras to lenses weighing 1000g or
    less and I'd use a strap with some elasticity to lessen the "g-force"
    of the strap bounce.
    RichA, Jul 19, 2009

  2. RichA

    Eric Stevens Guest

    On Sun, 19 Jul 2009 15:08:58 -0700 (PDT), RichA <>
    wrote:

    >There have been some reports of damage to plastic camera lens mounts
    >using heavier lenses. This goes all the way back to the Nikon D100.
    >IMO, I'd limit strap-carry of such cameras to lenses weighing 1000g or
    >less and I'd use a strap with some elasticity to lessen the "g-force"
    >of the strap bounce.

    Doesn't the D100 have a metal frame?

    Eric Stevens
    Eric Stevens, Jul 20, 2009

  3. RichA

    SteveG Guest

    RichA wrote:
    > There have been some reports of damage to plastic camera lens mounts
    > using heavier lenses.

    Can you point me in the direction of these reports, please? It may be of
    use to have some ammunition when my 1000mm lens breaks the front off the
    D40.

    --
    Regards

    Steve G
    SteveG, Jul 20, 2009
  4. On 07/19/09 17:08, RichA wrote:
    > There have been some reports of damage to plastic camera lens mounts
    > using heavier lenses. This goes all the way back to the Nikon D100.
    > IMO, I'd limit strap-carry of such cameras to lenses weighing 1000g or
    > less and I'd use a strap with some elasticity to lessen the "g-force"
    > of the strap bounce.

    Moose Petersen did a blurb on DtownTV about this. Recommending
    strap carry with the lens pointed toward the small of the back, and
    downward to remove stress from the mounting plate.

    Regardless of the materials, long and/or heavy lenses on camera
    bodies will introduce stresses that can loosen or warp the plates
    with time and abuse.

    Prudency would suggest taking care no matter the camera, or what
    it's made of.
    D. Peter Maus, Jul 21, 2009
  5. In rec.photo.digital.slr-systems SteveG <_@_._> wrote:
    > RichA wrote:
    >> There have been some reports of damage to plastic camera lens mounts
    >> using heavier lenses.

    > Can you point me in the direction of these reports, please? It may be of
    > use to have some ammunition when my 1000mm lens breaks the front off the
    > D40.

    When the lens is heavier than the camera, the lens should be used to
    support the camera rather than the camera the lens.

    --
    Chris Malcolm
    Chris Malcolm, Jul 22, 2009
  6. On 07/21/09 21:28, Chris Malcolm wrote:
    > In rec.photo.digital.slr-systems SteveG<_@_._> wrote:
    >> RichA wrote:
    >>> There have been some reports of damage to plastic camera lens mounts
    >>> using heavier lenses.

    >> Can you point me in the direction of these reports, please? It may be of
    >> use to have some ammunition when my 1000mm lens breaks the front off the
    >> D40.

    > When the lens is heavier than the camera, the lens should be used to
    > support the camera rather than the camera the lens.

    Precisely. Which is why, on the big glass, the tripod mount is on
    the lens.
    D. Peter Maus, Jul 22, 2009
  7. RichA

    frank Guest

    On Jul 22, 11:47 am, "D. Peter Maus" <>
    wrote:
    > On 07/21/09 21:28, Chris Malcolm wrote:

    > >> Can you point me in the direction of these reports, please? It may be of
    > >> use to have some ammunition when my 1000mm lens breaks the front off the
    > >> D40.

    > > When the lens is heavier than the camera, the lens should be used to
    > > support the camera rather than the camera the lens.

    >    Precisely. Which is why, on the big glass, the tripod mount is on
    > the lens.

    Also straps ON the lens. And Nikon does sell a strap for long lenses.
    Besides the one for the camera, don't know if other manufacturers do
    so. Some lenses have lugs for straps.
    frank, Jul 23, 2009
  8. RichA

    PatM Guest

    On Jul 22, 9:35 pm, frank <> wrote:
    > On Jul 22, 11:47 am, "D. Peter Maus" <>
    > wrote:

    > > > When the lens is heavier than the camera, the lens should be used to
    > > > support the camera rather than the camera the lens.

    > >    Precisely. Which is why, on the big glass, the tripod mount is on
    > > the lens.

    > Also straps ON the lens. And Nikon does sell a strap for long lenses.
    > Besides the one for the camera, don't know if other manufacturers do
    > so.  Some lenses have lugs for straps.

    Nikon makes a strap on ?!?!
    PatM, Jul 23, 2009
  9. On 07/23/09 11:54, PatM wrote:
    > On Jul 22, 9:35 pm, frank<> wrote:
    >> On Jul 22, 11:47 am, "D. Peter Maus"<>
    >> wrote:

    >>> Precisely. Which is why, on the big glass, the tripod mount is on
    >>> the lens.

    >> Also straps ON the lens. And Nikon does sell a strap for long lenses.
    >> Besides the one for the camera, don't know if other manufacturers do
    >> so. Some lenses have lugs for straps.

    > Nikon makes a strap on ?!?!

    Billie Jean King has been a spokesperson for it for weeks, now.
    D. Peter Maus, Jul 23, 2009
  10. RichA

    Twibil Guest

    On Jul 23, 10:11 am, "D. Peter Maus" <>
    wrote:

    > > Nikon makes a strap on ?!?!

    >    Billie Jean King has been a spokesperson for it for weeks, now.

    I have trouble picturing that.
    Twibil, Jul 23, 2009